You are here

Favourite simple mastering plugins

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Favourite simple mastering plugins

Postby BJG145 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:10 pm

I'm just looking through Zukan's introduction to DIY mastering from 2017 and I was wondering what plugin chains people were finding effective for this at the moment. All-in-one systems like Ozone or T-Racks...? Online services...? Or a hand-picked selection of effects...?
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Re: Favourite simple mastering plugins

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:52 pm

Personally speaking, I have a Reaper template with a set up that allows me to do separate L+R and M/S tweaking but it's all just populated with the stock Reaper plugins.
But I'll refer you to my signature for the usual disclaimer!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby innerchord » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:17 pm

Are you looking for quick results when mastering yourself, or to learn mastering?
Many "hand-picked" selections are the result of many years professional experience.
innerchord
Regular

Postby Ramirez » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:21 pm

I often use T-Racks simply because it's a doddle to create DDP and insert ISRC codes etc.
But usually the tracks will have been 'mastered' in terms of audio processing in Reaper beforehand (often using the T-Racks plugins though)
I'd rather do it all on Reaper, but it's a complete Kristen Pfaff to export a DDP etc with it.

My favourite mastering DAW is Pyramix, but I often do final exports etc. at home, and I don't have Pyramix at home. It wouldn't take a lot to bring Reaper up to speed with it, but it doesn't seem a priority for the developers I don't think.
That and Pyramix-style 3/4 point source/destination editing and Reaper could well and truly be untouchable!
As it is, there is a few custom actions that allow sourc/destination editing within the same project timeline. I use it often, and it does work, but really it requires dedicating the markers system to editing. Luckily, Reaper have just added 'take markers', which makes this more bearable. It would be nice to have this kind of editing baked in though,

Sorry, bit of a tangent there!
So yes, I quite like T-Racks 5. It's simple and quite elegant, if a bit limited. It's handy to have around, I've used to do a lot of commercial DDP masters, and a lot of the plugins are very good. I never quite trust that the standalone program isn't going to quit on me though...

Aled
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:38 pm

My standard mastering chain is Reaper's Master Limiter and TB Pro Audio's DP Meter 3 on the master track. Everything else depends upon the requirements of the material.

As I do quite a bit of work for one particular client I've managed to evolve a workflow that makes the client responsible for entering CD Text and ISRC's (because they do that anyway for their digital aggregator) and I can just simply copy and paste the correctly formatted data from their spreadsheet into Reaper for the DDP markers.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby resistorman » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:34 am

These days it's Eiosis EQ, Gulfoss, PSP Xenon, and Youlean metering in that order. If I feel I need some compression I might add Stillwell Bombardier or PSP Mastercomp.
resistorman
Frequent Poster