You are here

Could use another pair of ears on this mix (prog rock content)

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Could use another pair of ears on this mix (prog rock content)

Postby DC-Choppah » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:29 am

Cool song. Lots of music in there. Nicely done.

My first impression of the mix is that it is very mono, I am getting a mono image image right in front of me, kind of nasally, and I am not hearing the bass player that well. He is also not very deep. Drummer is far out in front too and I want to push him back. If it was me, I would try to open it up spatially and get the bass part to read better and have more bottom, move the drums back and go for a more grand sound rather than a small (spatially) nasally sound. The mono nasal sound is not fitting well with the grand theme of the music to me.

I am listening on iLoud monitors that don't have problems with bass, so the fact that the bass does not read well I think is in the mix.

Sometimes the drummer's timing is suspicious. I hear a couple places I would like to edit.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:28 am

Thanks for listening DC-Choppah, and for the feedback, I really appreciate it!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:22 pm

Just wanted to post a quick thanks to everyone who put in the time to listen to the song and provide feedback, it's truly appreciated!

I have a punch list now and will see what I can do to get this mix tightened up even further.

Thanks again!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:58 pm

Okay, punch list in hand, I attempted to address the most common critiques on the mix, and some of the less-common ones as well that resonated with my own feelings. :)

If'n you are feeling the desire/energy to listen to the entire thing again, here's the latest iteration, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D_DL8W ... sp=sharing

Here's what I addressed:
1.0 MIX WIDTH
I panned many of the guitars further out towards the edges of the stereo field to widen things up and create more space in the center

1.1 SOUNDSTAGE
- I brought up the reverb/delay on the vocals
- I lowered all of the instrumentation a hair

2.0 BASS/LOW MIDS
- I have the bass guitar multed between 'hi' and 'low' bass. I didn't add bass to the bass guitar, I just brought up the 'low bass' track to add bass guitar authority
- I applied some EQ and brought up the inside kick track a touch to create a bit of definition between the kick and bass guitar
- I shelved the kick drum a bit higher to reduce the build up at 50Hz

2.1 MIDRANGE
- Re adjusted the mids

3.0 INSTRUMENTATION
- I lowered the intro guitars
- I lowered the snare overall and brought up the snare top a bit to reduce the 'knock'; I don't think that it's eliminated just yet, but overall it's a little better ...
- I added more rides to the drum fills to get the toms up
- I ran most of the organ sounds through guitar amp sims to give them more snarl and bite
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:32 pm

Greatly improved! :thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:37 pm

The Elf wrote:Greatly improved! :thumbup:
Thanks, Elf! And thanks for your help. I would like to hit you up for a private session to review this mix and see if we can't get some other issues dealt with, if that's works for you?
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby DC-Choppah » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:03 pm

This is such a shifting and changing song.

Seems like the next step is to get really creative with changing the mix dynamically as different instruments come an go into focus.

I don't hear what the focus is supposed to be in each section. They are mixed well but nobody is the focus in any section. Sometimes when the whole band is playing it sounds like everybody is pushed back and nobody is up in front so I lose focus on what to follow musically.

I am listening to this as a reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiYXj8j2Mus
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:20 pm

I have only listened to the new version... I like it, but one or two of the comment I read further up the thread still seem to me to hold true. The drums have a 'papery' quality which is because the mid-range is still being pushed too hard somewhere in the 1-3 kHz area. And I agree with DC-Choppah's comment that the balance lacks a focus. In the instrumental sections you need to identify what the 'lead' elements are and foreground those.
Sam Inglis

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:19 am

Thanks for the further insights, Sam and DC!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:46 am

When I posted my original comment of 'it sounds good to me' I wasn't being flippant and I meant what I said, but I wimped out of a few observations that I couldn't put a finger on at the time but which subseqent posters, all of whom are on record above in the thread took the time to put into words better than I could.

I've grabbed the latest and I really need to spend some time with it before making any comment of worth, other than (and I can say this with certainty) that I think the composition is absolutely wonderful.

I've now got to listen to the mix not the music. Doing so comes easier to some than others; I find it hard to separate appreciation from analysis. Listening to the latest mix however, and at the time of writing (early in) I think it's a great improvement on the last although I much liked the last.

Keep it coming Ben, you're knocking it out the park in my book and this is fantastic material regardless of the engineering. I'll let you know if anything occurs to me on a critical listen :clap: :clap: :clap:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:13 am

Thanks, Eddy! :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:29 pm

Ben, if you fancy another perspective on the mix you'd be welcome to send over the multitrack as a possible Mix Rescue candidate -- PM me for further details or email sam AT soundonsound DOT com.
Sam Inglis

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:56 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:Ben, if you fancy another perspective on the mix you'd be welcome to send over the multitrack as a possible Mix Rescue candidate -- PM me for further details or email sam AT soundonsound DOT com.
I shall, Sam! Thanks! :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby innerchord » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:29 am

Well done, Ben. Some solid improvements. But...

For me, there are still problems with that 50Hz kick drum. Bass guitar sounds louder, but still characterless. Mix is now lacking in body 100-500Hz. The impact of the previous mix is missing. Separation is improved, as is depth, but where have the drums gone? They're smaller, thinner and quieter than before.

Sounds to me like you're still might not be using any references.
Oh, and level-matching the mixes would have been helpful. And a good MP3 would be fine, too!
innerchord
Regular

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:28 am

Thanks, innerchord! Sorry for the slow response, I've been digging my way out of a crushing work deadline which is involving me driving 200+ miles/day. I should have some time in the next few days!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext