You are here

Beginners’ Guide to Plug-Ins & Instrument Packs

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Beginners’ Guide to Plug-Ins & Instrument Packs

Postby adrian_k » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:31 pm

desmond wrote:
adrian_k wrote:Although the Kontakt player is/can be free, there are restrictions on what you can do without the paid version. I never got my head around exactly what. Some Kontact libraries/instruments need the full version of Kontakt is as far as I got with it, at which point I started looking at Soundfonts (not because I didn't want to spend money but I just wanted something simple).

I've broken this time a few time here - check this post out:
https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 17#p706717

Haha thanks.... I've actually read that post before, just read it again and I still don't really understand! :headbang:

This is a case of me not really having a use for it I guess, if I did I would have some context/something to relate those words to....
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby desmond » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:37 pm

adrian_k wrote:Haha thanks.... I've actually read that post before, just read it again and I still don't really understand! :headbang:

Even simpler then: If you buy a Kontakt library that's reasonably expensive, it will likely work in the Player, because the library developer has paid NI for their library to work in the Player (ie, it makes their library available to a wider user base, so they can hopefully make up the license costs by volume).

If you download free/inexpensive Kontakt instruments from the web, or want to make your own, you need the full version of Kontakt.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby adrian_k » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:47 pm

desmond wrote:Even simpler then: If you buy a Kontakt library that's reasonably expensive, it will likely work in the Player, because the library developer has paid NI for their library to work in the Player (ie, it makes their library available to a wider user base, so they can hopefully make up the license costs by volume).

If you download free/inexpensive Kontakt instruments from the web, or want to make your own, you need the full version of Kontakt.

By Jove I think I've got it!
adrian_k
Frequent Poster

Postby merlyn » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:44 pm

I did understand the original post. What it meant to me was that Native Instruments get paid either way. Either by the end user in the case of free libraries that require the full version of Kontakt, or by the developers of libraries in the case of libraries that work in the free Kontakt player.
merlyn
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:56 pm

Basically you just have to remember TANSTAAFL ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Watchmaker » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:02 am

CS70 wrote:It's only when you put stuff together or sequence your own patterns that things change - and in the hands of a beginner programmer, the same samples will sound like crap and have worse groove than a song by the Shaggs.

the Shaggs <snicker>

+1
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby adrian_k » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:30 am

blinddrew wrote:Basically you just have to remember TANSTAAFL ;)

It’s OK I’m on a diet :smirk:
adrian_k
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:09 am

Sunshine, the generic plugins in DAWs are more than good enough to use. In fact, I still use some free vsts for my mix projects. Luftikus is still one of my fav low end eqs.

For drums, I use Battery and Kontakt and also fire up my old FXPansion Guru when I feel like going old school.

For orchestral, have a look at LABS by Spitfire Audio. They often release free instrument packs for it and they are very good. If you have 50 odd euros to spare give Discovery, also by Spitfire Audio, a whirl.

Other than that, as the fine peeps here have stated, get Kontakt Player and sift through the gazillion free libraries floating around in user groups, thrid party developers and forums.
Zukan

Previous