You are here

iZotope RX De-Bleed Reference

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

iZotope RX De-Bleed Reference

Postby Demious » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:53 pm

I havent been able to find a dedicated iZotope forum and since iZotope support takes days to get a response, I hope someone here can help me figure this out.

I've read the manual and watched several videos about the De-Bleed process in RX, but this doesnt help me to get started with using this function.
What I understand about the process, say I want to remove cymbal bleed from a snare track, I need a reference track of the cymbal bleed, to have RX learn the profile and remove it from the snare track. But how do I make a reference track from the cymbal bleed?
I cant use the overhead track, because the cymbals on there sound different then how they're picked up by the snare mic (resulting in different sound spectrum being removed then there's on the snare track) and the overhead will also have the snare in there, so also a part of the snare sound would be removed if I'd use the overhead. So what I would need to do is isolate the cymbal wash from the snare track.

How do I isolate the reference sound from the track I need to de-bleed?
Demious
Poster
Cheers!
Maarten

System: MSI Z370A-Pro, i7-8700k @ 5GHz, 32GB @ 3200MHz, Win10/x64, Studio One v5, Presonus Quantum 2626, Adams T7V

Re: iZotope RX De-Bleed Reference

Postby James Perrett » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:33 pm

I must admit I was a bit disappointed to find that you needed a reference track to use debleed (after hearing the miracles that can be performed with Music Rebalance, Debleed is a bit of an anti-climax) but it is probably worth experimenting with using the overheads as your reference although you may find that it treats the snare as unwanted too.

I think Debleed is specifically targeted at removing headphone bleed for those who have access to the multitrack session.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Demious » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:15 am

Thanks James!

Snare and Cymbals was just an example. If you'd have to create a click track to remove a click recorded on another system, the sound can be quite different. And if theres click track, you probably also have bleed from the back-line that was sounding through the headphone as well, with its sound modified by the headphone and mic, so its always gonna be a tough job to create a reference track for recordings made somewhere else, I guess.
It seems this tool would be best fit for jobs that already have taken into account this tool might be used, when you're still in the recording stage, when you, while recording the vocal tracks, can record an extra bleed track, by recording just the click and back-line sounding through the headphone.
Demious
Poster
Cheers!
Maarten

System: MSI Z370A-Pro, i7-8700k @ 5GHz, 32GB @ 3200MHz, Win10/x64, Studio One v5, Presonus Quantum 2626, Adams T7V

Postby James Perrett » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:10 pm

It almost seems that you could just record a track with the singer just standing their wearing headphones and then invert the polarity of that track while combining it with the main vocal track. This would be just as effective as debleed - or are we missing something?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page