You are here

MIDI 2.0 specifications adopted at Winter NAMM 2020

Announce new products, updates, events, competitions, jobs and special offers here.

MIDI 2.0 specifications adopted at Winter NAMM 2020

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:00 am

https://www.midi.org/articles-old/details-about-midi-2-0-midi-ci-profiles-and-property-exchange
If it lives up to its promises, then it will be an incredible leap forward for MIDI. Given the many hours, days and weeks I've spent writing editors and patch managers (try figuring out how to send a pair of Sys-Ex messages from a single control in MIDI Designer...) then this must be a good thing. Imagine plugging in a synth and having all of its controllers seamlessly appear on an editor panel. Ooh!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: MIDI 2.0 specifications adopted at Winter NAMM 2020

Postby Folderol » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:21 am

Overall It's very good, but there are a few potential gotchas.

The first is that equipment manufacturers are supposed to still support MIDI1 as a fall-back if the get no response to negotiation. I'm wondering how long it will be before some prima donna decides their special features are far too important to support such a 'primitive' system.

The second is the very fact of bespoke features. It means in theory, all DAWs etc. will need to support all the exotic ideas people come up with. What is more likely is that it will tend to break up into groups of big players supporting each others features, and the little guys being left out (although they'll probably do better with the open source community).
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: MIDI 2.0 specifications adopted at Winter NAMM 2020

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:58 am

There's always room for incompetence and idiocy. Then there are the people who will say 'I can live with it' when a manufacturer does something expedient and annoying - we will get the MIDI 2 we deserve... ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.