You are here

Registering a band name/pseudonym?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Registering a band name/pseudonym?

Postby Elephone » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:27 pm

Hello. Before I go ahead. I'd like to know the best way to register a band name, to establish prior usage, etc. I know there is bandname.com and bandnamevault.com.

They both demand a one-off fee of £9.94 but only bandnamevault.com seems to claim this is effective globally:

"For global registration of a name, we ask for a $15 contribution to our costs of running the database. Once your Bandname is added to our database it becomes immutably linked to the blockchain blockchain. We use the latest blockchain datastructures to protect your Bandname, and ensure it’s always available and easy for anybody to verify in the future."

That said, bandname.com seems to be better known and appears first in search engines.

Have you any experience of this?
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: Registering a band name/pseudonym?

Postby Elephone » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:34 pm

P.S It's mainly so I can prove I used it first rather than for any legal disputes.

Perhaps simply creating an date-checkable online presence is more effective?
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:30 pm

How have you managed to find/invent a name that hasn't been used somewhere before?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:22 pm

Surely YouTube can be your friend here?

Open an account using the band name and upload a video of the band, holding a sign/placard with their name on it. Include info in the description too, as this is searchable. The date the vid is uploaded then acts as your proof.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,167 high quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby The Red Bladder » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:29 am

It isn't that simple! A band is a commercial enterprise like any other and if you wish to establish your band name as a trading marque, you must do several things, all of which demonstrate that you are not only the owner of that mark, but that you are actually trading under that name.

Youtube would certainly be one such milestone, but also such things as a website, playing live and releasing and publishing music recordings under that name are very important in establishing ownership of a name.

If you want to make really sure that you own the name, you need to apply for registered trademark in the UK and the US (assuming that you are active in the US).

https://www.gov.uk/how-to-register-a-trade-mark/apply

http://guides.wsj.com/small-business/st ... pany-name/

The key to being the real owner of a name is to actually trade under that name. Just registering is not enough if you fail to trade under a name, as a competing band owner could appeal the name and force you to give it up.

People who claim that you can register a band name with them are charlatans and are offering a completely worthless service. You will not find 'The Rolling Stones' in any of these bogus websites, but trust me, 'The Rolling Stones' and the tongue logo are registered trade marks all around the Planet!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)