You are here

Best (free?) Mac AntiVirus/Malware

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Best (free?) Mac AntiVirus/Malware

Postby Arpangel » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:26 am

Sam, just wondering why you’re still running Mavericks? I was reluctant to get a newer OS too, but my Mac developed major issues (a virus?) and I had to have Apple wipe it and they installed Sierra, which has been fine.
I haven’t installed the lates OS, as I’m still a bit paranoid some of my software won’t run.
I had Malwarebytes on my Mac for a bit, but it seemed a bit intrusive, I may get Avast, as a a belt and braces job though.
My symptoms were a renamed hard drive that I could no longer access, time machine was unusable, and a lot of my files were corrupted. I spoke to Apple and they wouldn’t have it that it was a virus, oh no sir, Macs don’t get viruses, it’s obviously a software clash or malfunction.
They put it right though, even though the machine was out of warranty.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Best (free?) Mac AntiVirus/Malware

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:23 pm

I'm not running Mavericks these days, my OP was back in Feb '18. Currently I have the studio and office Mac Pros on El Capitan (the latest they can run) and my MBPs and my wife iMac (2011, 2012 and 2014 respectively) all running High Sierra. All seem to be running fine at the moment though I did finally get the Studio MP on the internet when I did a partial rewire of the studio back at the beginning of lockdown.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous