You are here

New Mac Mini - Catalina or Mojave?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

New Mac Mini - Catalina or Mojave?

Postby ITHertz » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:47 am

Hi Folks,

Around Christmas I had some major problems with my year-old Mac Mini. I spent about a week trying to re-install the operating system to no avail and in the end took it to a Mac repairer. Turns out they couldn't fix the problem either so in the end my Mini was replaced. I can't fault Apple's support during this time however it leaves me unsure as to whether to setup my new system using Catalina (like most here I have a lot of plug-ins, many of which seem to still be unsupported on Catalina) or revert to Mojave (this well require another visit to the Mac repairer).

Just wondering what people think?

Cheers,

Chris
ITHertz
Regular

Re: New Mac Mini - Catalina or Mojave?

Postby Guido3 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:06 am

Chris,

It all depends on what you are running on your Mac. If everything you use is compatible with Catalina then go for it.

I personally would install Mojave as like many people here, I stay at least one major update behind to give the ‘latest and greatest’ OS time to get all the bugs ironed out (Including the HW and SW developers) before I install it.
Guido3
Frequent Poster
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:39 am

That would be my inclination too, though I try to stay with a working OS until it really must be updated, I'm on El Capitan on the studio cheese grater as it's the latest it can run and High Sierra on the MBP.

I always install the OS from scratch myself though, why do you need to take it to the repairer for that?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:35 pm

I'd guess because once the latest version of Mac OS is out you can't download earlier versions. If you have downloaded and kept earlier versions when they were available (as I always do and, still guessing, ITHertz's repairer might do) then you can use them.

I have the Mojave installer and would be happy to copy it to ITHertz except at 6 GB it's a bit hefty for attaching to an email ...

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:49 pm

It's a while since I did it but IIRC it was tricky but possible to download older OSX versions. Not sure that is the case now but I'd guess there is a way. Whatever, it isn't like iOS where you simply can't downgrade if your older iDevice is unhappy running a new iOS version.

FWIW I have High Sierra, El Capitan, and a few older ones if anybody needs a copy, I don't think they are protected in a way that prevent's their use on machines other than mine.

edit :- just found this article, only scanned it but will read later and update if it doesn't offer a simple solution. https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/download-old-os-x-3629363/

edit 2 :- Not sure if this will work but here its a direct link to the App Store for the Mojave installer. https://go.redirectingat.com/?id=803X112722&xcust=41-3629363-11-0000000&sref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.macworld.co.uk%2Fhow-to%2Fmac-software%2Fdownload-old-os-x-3629363%2F&xs=1&url=https%3A%2F%2Fitunes.apple.com%2Fgb%2Fapp%2Fmacos-mojave%2Fid1398502828%3Fmt%3D12
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ITHertz » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:34 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I've been doing a bit of homework about this and it's certainly possible to download earlier versions of OS X. It's also possible to install them, but the difficulty varies depending on how far back you go. It's more difficult to install a version earlier than the one that came with the computer.

I've more-or-less decided to go with Catalina (the easiest option) although I haven't started the process of installing plug-ins so that might change if I run into too many problems.

Cheers,

Chris
ITHertz
Regular

Postby tonybjung@yahoo.ca » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:04 am

Can't you take your mac mini to an Apple Genius Bar to reinstall an earlier OS? That's what I did with my 2014 mac mini. I had High Sierra but wanted to downgrade back to Yosemite and they did it for me.

My sister works at an Apple store so it was free but I'm sure they can provide the service.
tonybjung@yahoo.ca