You are here

Patching MIDI In from an instrument Logic X

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Patching MIDI In from an instrument Logic X

Postby MarkOne » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:31 pm

I have downloaded the Ample Guitar virtual instrument which has a strumming engine and it creates strumming patterns and cards you trigger dependant on MIDI notes. So Chord 1 may be a Gsus4 and Chord 2 a Dm7. these are selected by playing C1 and C#1 respectively. Meanwhile Strumming pattern 1 is triggered by C3 and pattern 2 is selected by playing C#3,

etc...

I wanted to use these strum patterns with a different instrument so...

The Ample Sound settings panel has a MIDI out option and it tells you it will output whatever the strumming pattern is via MIDI and to create a new MIDI track and select Ample Sound Guitar as the input.

This is where I get stumped. Logic only has MIDI Input channels 1-16 I guess this is an environment problem, but I get completely lost trying to figure that out...

Any ideas
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Re: Patching MIDI In from an instrument Logic X

Postby desmond » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:05 pm

Does the Ample manual suggest how you should use this feature in Logic? Sometimes plugins let you drag patterns directly from the plugin into the arrange page, so no re-recording is necessary.

As AU plugins can't output data to Logic, plugins work around this by letting you send MIDI to a MIDI port directly - in effect, you're sending MIDI out of the plugin, and then back into Logic.

So, if you set the MIDI output as the IAC Bus, Logic will receive that data coming in, and it can be recorded just like any other MIDI data. If the plugin creates it's own virtual MIDI bus, then you should be able to use that in the same way.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby MarkOne » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:58 am

Having done some more web research it looks like they haven't sorted this functionality in Logic. I guess it's a difference between AUs and VSTs they can't or haven't figured out a workaround for.

There is a tutorial showing how to do this in Cubase. The plugin has a MIDI Out on/off switch and when you create a new MIDI track ,in the track input inspector, you can select from a list of available MIDI Inputs and the Ample Guitar plugin shows as a possible source. But looking at the plugin settings page. It is simply a toggle MIDI out on and off, so there is no destination to select.

Well, it's a nice plugin, for a freebie but I won't drop any cash on the full version with this limitation.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby desmond » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:12 am

As I said above, AU plugins can't output MIDI directly to Logic, but some plugins workaround this in the manner I described. If yours doesn't, then you can't use that feature in the AU version.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio