You are here

Dual stream setup with 2 mics

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Dual stream setup with 2 mics

Postby BeardoGames » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:27 pm

Hi,

I have a problem and need some answers.
Let me explain the situation.

My wife and i started streaming and we both used usb mics, her mic is connected to an iMac and mine was connected to my pc.

We wanted to upgrade our audio so we went and bought a usb mixer a phabtom power box, a Y splitter for her mic and 2 xlr condenser microphones.

Everything is working as expected on my end. The pc is getting the full mix from the mixer to use in the recording program and i use the effects channel to route my mic to the pc to use as a stand alone mic input.

Here is the kicker.
My wife also needs to use her xlr mic as an input.
Her cable routing: microphone > phantom power > y splitter (one connection to the mixer and one to the imac via Line in). The iMac receives signal. But it is very very faint but clear (i'd say 15% when yelling)

From what i have researched is that the iMac or any other line in needs to have it at line level.

My question is. Would a preamp with Phantom power turned off give enough signal to the mac to make it audible?
Like i said. The mic currently works but the volume is way to low.

Or are there any other cheap solutions to this problem?

Thanks in advance!
Beardo
BeardoGames
New here

Re: Dual stream setup with 2 mics

Postby blinddrew » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:04 pm

Basically, yes.
The mic still needs a pre-amp in the chain because the mac doesn't have one.
Can you not route both mics to the mixer, pan one hard left, the other hard right and send the two separate outputs to the two machines?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby BeardoGames » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:14 pm

Wont that make the mics in final mix also to be on the left and right? Left being me and right being my wife?
BeardoGames
New here

Postby blinddrew » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:25 pm

Not if they go into mono inputs.
Can you let us know exactly what kit you have and I'm sure we'll be able to come up with a solution that does the job. Hopefully without spending any more money. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby BeardoGames » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:48 pm

I have a behringer xenyx Q1202 usb mixer
2 superlux e205 condenser mics
Devine mps 500

Pc with line in and usb offcourse
Imac 27" 2011 with headphone jack and line in jack

3 xlr cables
1 y splitter female to 2 male xlr
Xlr to jack
Jack to mini jack plug

If you need more info, please let me know :wave:
I have been breaking my head on this for the last 3 days
BeardoGames
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:46 pm

If you don't use the onboard fx you could use the fx send from the mixer to feed the iMac. That is at line level and balanced so you would need to use a suitable lead to unbalance it and feed both L&R of the iMac line input (I'm guessing it is stereo).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BeardoGames » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:44 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:If you don't use the onboard fx you could use the fx send from the mixer to feed the iMac. That is at line level and balanced so you would need to use a suitable lead to unbalance it and feed both L&R of the iMac line input (I'm guessing it is stereo).

I use the effects channel as my isolated mic channel. So thats a no go. Thanks anyway :)
BeardoGames
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:59 pm

Ah, ok, sorry missed that.

Then you need some kind of mic preamp, the cheapest way to get one would be either another small mixer or a basic USB interface. I'd favour the latter, maybe a Behringer UM2 for £40 which also gets you around the problem of relying in the iMac's line in/A>D conversion which won't be stellar. Still only 48/16 but would get the job done.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/behringer-u-phoria-um2-audiophile-2x2-usb-audio-interface-with-xenyx-mic-preamplifier-um2?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIucynws2F7wIVjpntCh2BVAEREAQYAyABEgLmq_D_BwE
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BeardoGames » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:22 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Ah, ok, sorry missed that.

Then you need some kind of mic preamp, the cheapest way to get one would be either another small mixer or a basic USB interface. I'd favour the latter, maybe a Behringer UM2 for £40 which also gets you around the problem of relying in the iMac's line in/A>D conversion which won't be stellar. Still only 48/16 but would get the job done.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/behringer-u-phoria-um2-audiophile-2x2-usb-audio-interface-with-xenyx-mic-preamplifier-um2?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIucynws2F7wIVjpntCh2BVAEREAQYAyABEgLmq_D_BwE

That what i figuered. I actually found the same preamp and was thinking that would do the trick. Im no audio expert. But it feels kinda good that someone who knows what he's talking about recommending that solution.
Im gonna order it and let you guys know.
BeardoGames
New here

Postby BeardoGames » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:22 pm

Thanks everyone :P
BeardoGames
New here

Postby blinddrew » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:29 pm

So the only issue is the signal getting into the mac, but you want this signal just to be your wife's mic? Not the rest of the mix?
And what software are you recording into on the pc.
Because if you pan the mics to each extreme you could then split the stereo signal into two mono signals in your DAW and you wouldn't need to use the FX channel to get an unmixed signal.
So you could then use that to feed the Mac - or do the same split-and-mono in the DAW on the mac.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:49 pm

Not sure if I'm right but I think, while it's doable that way it's not simple as it would only send the mix to one side of the USB interface into the PC. Mrs B's mic could be panned central so it appeared in the mix to the PC as well as the other analogue output to the iMac but the OP would need a special lead to get that into the iMac's stereo line input.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:00 pm

I think we need to understand what's happening in the software at both ends.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby BeardoGames » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:07 pm

blinddrew wrote:So the only issue is the signal getting into the mac, but you want this signal just to be your wife's mic? Not the rest of the mix?
And what software are you recording into on the pc.
Because if you pan the mics to each extreme you could then split the stereo signal into two mono signals in your DAW and you wouldn't need to use the FX channel to get an unmixed signal.
So you could then use that to feed the Mac - or do the same split-and-mono in the DAW on the mac.

Yes. That is correct. My pc will get all of the mixer inputs and my fx channel, the imac should also receive the second mic.
I am using OBS, buts its nothing fancy. I just wanna controll all my sounds with the mixer but everything on that end is fixed. Its just a matter of the imac getting a strong signal

I have tried the left and right channel. But weirdly enough all the mics input are left only. Did i buy the wrong xlr cable? Mics are mono right?
BeardoGames
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:35 pm

Without a full, exact and detailed, rundown of your dual signal paths, and an explanation of exactly what you hope to achieve (don't be worried that we'll get bored with all the detail ;) ) it's gonna be hard to give useful advice.

But
BeardoGames wrote:I have tried the left and right channel. But weirdly enough all the mics input are left only. Did i buy the wrong xlr cable? Mics are mono right?

Rings some alarm bells. WRT the main mix too the PC, are you using the mixers USB interface? And the iMac, describe the cable you are using after the splitter.

Yes, to explain, mics are mono but yours, as it usual with anything with professional aspirations, output a balanced signal. The input to the iMac is (I think) stereo. Many adapter cables which have an XLR on one end and a TRS jack (mini or ¼") on the other simply connect the two connectors pin for pin, XLR 1 to sleeve, XLR 2 to tip and XLR 3 to ring. In your use case this won't work.

Come back with some detail and we'll try to help some more.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Next