You are here

Big Sur screen recording problem

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Big Sur screen recording problem

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:36 pm

My wife has just recorded a long zoom meeting using the screen recording facility, found it in the dock and dragged it to the desktop and, with a whooshing sound, it disappeared :madas:

I wasn't there so can't be sure exactly what she did but several other recordings have autosaved to the desktop just fine. I wonder if somehow se had it playing in QT or something and by swiping up accidentally deleted the file, but it isn't in the trash bin either...

I've done all the searching I can think of, and Googled until I'm crosseyed (the 'autosaved information' folders are empty and I did remember to show hidden folders/files) so having posted on the Apple community forum I thought I'd ask here as well.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Big Sur screen recording problem

Postby desmond » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:39 pm

Stuff in the dock is usually just an alias to the actual file (the Dock isn't a folder location on a drive, for example) - removing the alias from the dock shouldn't delete the file the alias pointed to, so it should still be there, whichever file it was. Hence why there is nothing in the trash...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:49 pm

That's pretty much what I though.... Very confused
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby desmond » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:52 pm

Are you sure it wasn't just an alias to one of the recorded files already on the desktop?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:23 pm

She is certain it was the correct file, now says it was bottom right of the screen not in the dock, she checked it and swiped it up onto the desktop with the others and it disappeared. I'm beginning the think it was an accidental multitouch gesture...

edit :- I can't find a gesture that would remove or delete a file though :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:31 pm

I'm sure this won't help at all, but, just in case....
If you open the Zoom app and go to "settings", and select "recordings" you'll hopefully see the location of where the file was recorded to.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:55 pm

I don't think she recorded it in zoom (I didn't know you could) but used Big Sur's built in screen recorder. I'll have a look though, thanks.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:56 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I don't think she recorded it in zoom (I didn't know you could) but used Big Sur's built in screen recorder. I'll have a look though, thanks.

I knew it wouldn't help!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase, guitars.

Postby rockydennis » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:15 pm

Could you do a search of all files of that extension (say mp4) on the computer and sort it by date?
rockydennis
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:19 pm

Yup, done that, and every possible connotation of the file name :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster