You are here

Help DSP issues ASUS gaming Laptop (Win10, UATwin, Ableton)

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Help DSP issues ASUS gaming Laptop (Win10, UATwin, Ableton)

Postby BLOUB » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:11 am

Hi guys!

I bought a new Laptop earlier this year and as I work in both Music (running also live visuals) and Games, I thought a gaming Laptop would be good to combine both.

I got an ASUS rog strix scar|| with the specs I listed below.

Now I run windows10 and have a UniversalAudio Twin soundcard, currently working in Ableton.
However, running more than about 10 plugins is not possible with this system.
Then it tells me DSP resources were exceeded and plugins deactivated as a result.
The plugins are mainly EQs, some reverb, chorus.. nothing super crazy.

Does that appear to be normal to you or is there maybe a hardware issue with the Laptop?
I already set up windows from scratch as there were much more other issues before, some of which I think the windows fresh install solved.

ASUS says the Laptop is not made for music production, but can so much of the internal architecture really be designed for gaming only?
How do I know how well a certain system is suited for audio production or music live performance? Is there a way to measure that more precisely?

I just moved from Mac to windows and used other software and no plugins for my productions before (doing a lot of sound design and coded music like MaxMsp etc.)
So I have little experience on how much resources (UniversalAudio) plugins take and which other factors of Win10 and the Laptops architecture play into the outcome.

I bought it new. If it is broken, repair will take them up to three weeks so I am trying to see, if I can anyhow fix it myself.

Specs:
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2070 graphics and 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 processors (Intel i7 8750H cpu 2.20 GHz + 2.21 GHz), internal SSD

I hope this all made sense, thanks a lot!
BLOUB
BLOUB

Re: Help DSP issues ASUS gaming Laptop (Win10, UATwin, Ableton)

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:59 am

Hi and welcome.

I have a feeling that you are talking about the UAD plugins, rather than VST plugins running natively on the computer.

If so, then yes, the number of plugs you can run on two UAD2 cores is quite limited. These plugs fundamentally run on the UAD unit, not on your computer. The twin has two processing 'cores', each of which can run a number of UAD plugs-ins. Some of these plugs are small, some are huge, so UAD provide a table showing how many of each plug you can run on a single core:

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articl ... -DSP-Chart

The plug-ins can't be shared across multiple cores, so if you've got 65% of one core used and 57% of another used, then you can't then run a plug that takes 45% of a core to run (even though there's a total of 78% of a single core's processing still available).

I've got two 4-core UAD cards in my PC and it's still easy to run out of UAD processing power if I want to run certain UAD plug-ins.

You either need to add more UAD2 processing units, or do as everyone else does and use a mix of UAD and native (i.e. running on the PC hardware) VST plug-ins.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby BLOUB » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:17 pm

Hi Wonks,

Thank you for the welcome, and wow, thank you For this super helpful comment!!

I mainly use UA plugins, and, now that you say it, it’s always the UA plugins which fail if DSP is exceeded. So I think you’re right.

You say you have two quad units. That sounds amazing. Do you have them as a rack or external audio interfaces or how does it work? I didn’t know UA had internal soundcards?
It’s over my budget but I’m curious!

Math tells me I use ~78% (combination of smaller units) and 60% (Lexicon 480)

I reduced my sample rate from 48 to 42 kHz and was able to add one more plugin using 5%

A second 5% plug-in again exceeded the DSP.

Is that normal? Maybe DSP can’t be used close to 100%?

Im a bit sad it uses it’s capacity so quickly!!
(I know the algorithms are strong and of high quality..)
But then the duo is really only for very simple setups!! Ok or use native vst as you said. But the UA are soooo good!!

Well, thank you so much again! I be tried to solve this for a while :P

Best!
BLOUB
BLOUB

Postby CS70 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:08 pm

BLOUB wrote:
ASUS says the Laptop is not made for music production, but can so much of the internal architecture really be designed for gaming only?
How do I know how well a certain system is suited for audio production or music live performance? Is there a way to measure that more precisely?

As Wonks say, the limit is on the UAD platform, not the laptop. There's lots of excellent plugins that run outside UAD and with pc like that you can probably run dozens.

Indeed both gaming and music benefit from the same properties (essentially real-time performance) so a gaming pc tend to be well suited. It will likely be a little overkill because of the graphics capabilities (graphics chip and lots of fast memory), which are expensive and are not really necessary with music production - but as you work with both, it's a good choice.

To be suited for music production, a computer must have good real-time performance. This is the result of the weakest link in the components set, not the strongest. So a pc built for music must have components which behave well together - do not flood the CPU with interrupt requests, their drivers are well written and fast etc (and the less components you have, the better). A powerful CPU and lots of memory help of course.

You then need to pair it with an audio interface which also has well written and fast drivers. The music production system is the combination of both pc and audio interface.

Besides graphics, it's very much the spec for a gaming pc. :-)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby BLOUB » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:11 pm

Hi CS70,

Thank you very much for your reply and for supporting my choice in buying a gaming Laptop :) I also run live visuals with my music so.. thats a second reason I thought a strong graphics card would be good.

I will monitor the plugins more, to see, if in the way I combined them their DSP needs exceed the UA cores power.. It still seems to me I only use 60% of UA's 100%, but Ill take a closer look, maybe there is something I overlooked.

Thanky again!
BLOUB
BLOUB