You are here

Please Help with New PC Computer Build

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Please Help with New PC Computer Build

Postby Trevor Johnson » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:53 pm

I feel very sorry for Manfred. This is clearly a mess.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:17 pm

Yep.

Self-build is great if that's your hobby, but it can rapidly turn into a nightmare. It's not so much the skills (which are basic, entry-level stuff), it's the availability of known-good spare parts to aid in troubleshooting.

I wonder if the "techs" were a local Mom n' Pop or one of the notoriously unskilled / fraudulent crews from the big retailers? Name escapes me now, something Squad? Currency denoted suggests US region in any case.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

R1e: Please Help with New PC Computer Build

Postby MannyBoy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:32 pm

Yeah! I'm learning some hard lessons... anywy, onward!

Btw...my audio interface (someone inquired) is a AKAI EIE.

Thanks again eveyone!
-Manfred
MannyBoy
Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:53 am

MannyBoy wrote:Mother Board: Asus X-99-WS-E
ATX-LGA2011-v3
SATA 6Gb; USB 3.0/3.1

Processor: Intel Core i7-6800K, Broadwell-E
6-core, 3.4 GHz, LGA 2011-v3, 140w

Did you source these second hand or on clearence?

MannyBoy wrote:Me: Thanks! I did this. The data is thus:
41 Critical events; Source = Kernel-Power; Event ID= 41; Task Category (63)

All 41 critical events are exactly the same as noted above.

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/solved-kernel-power-41-critical-error-on-windows-10/ wrote:The error message is saying: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. Don’t worry. Usually this is an easy problem to fix. Follow the easy and quick solutions below.

It could be software related possibly, but it could also be a power droop possibly, hence why I asked if it was all new kit.
If you could, I would try another PSU, it's a long shot, but entirely possible.

Saying that, it could also be the VRM delivery on the board (also unlikely) if one of those is faulty. Admittedly both of those are tricky to establish if you haven't got spare hardware to hand.

The thread is a bit confusing, but I think I have a handle on it.
It's a fresh install of windows 10, with the old Windows 7 drive in there as a secondary drive.
The question was raised if w7 would affect w10, no, it shouldn't.

The easiest test to do would be a clean install and only install the system drivers, sequencer and a few basic plugins with known working W10 versions to test. Minimal clutter, but ensuring it's all latest versions. I can easily see a situation where you may have migrated something from W7 that has no W10 support and that could be causing this.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby MannyBoy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:15 pm

Good afternoon everyone. So here’s what I think the problem is...I use a Komplete Kontrol S88 keyboard, and it appears that the interface between the keyboard and any virtual instrument causes the freezing. Unless I hear other recommendations, my plan is to uninstall and then reinstall the KK software and drivers.

Thanks again for your interest and help.

Cheers,
Manfred
MannyBoy
Poster

Previous