You are here

Sample rate problems Studio one

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Sample rate problems Studio one

Postby lawrenceyoungenid » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:52 am

Hello everyone. I’ve completely torn my hair out. This problem is so frustrating that this is my first time ever asking for help and advice on a message board. Here’s what I’m using. Studio one 5, an Avid Eleven Rack as my recording interface, this is connected to my recording computer which is an hp z602 with 96 gigs of ram and 2 e5 Xeon processors. This is connected to a waves sound grid server. Somehow when I was recording a song, Studio one was set to 48k sample rate but my interface and the sound grid weren’t. I believe they were at 44. So whenever I tried to mix the song down it sounded like the chipmunks. I recognized it was probably a sample rate issue and I tried to change it in studio one. Now it sounds like the chipmunks in studio one also. I found I can get it to play back at the right tempo and pitch if I open studio one And the interface and sound grid in 48k And then change the interface and sound grid to 44 but leave studio one alone. This is fine until I try to mixdowns the song at which time studio one recognizes the mismatch and changes it back to chipmunks. What’s the fix? I’m going crazy.
lawrenceyoungenid

Re: Sample rate problems Studio one

Postby lawrenceyoungenid » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:51 am

Ok I found out to fix it in case any one ever has this problem. I have a friend who has Adobe Audition and he opened the files in it and went to edit - interpret sample rate - and he put in 440000 as the rate. This fixed it. Now I can sleep lol
lawrenceyoungenid

Postby CS70 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:28 am

No studio one expert but you could just resample it when importing?

I mean, why insist on using a track at a different sample rate than the rest? It’s a recipe for headaches.

Note that software resampling can be very good, but not all DAW implementations are equally well made.

Check for example https://src.infinitewave.ca/ to see what’s what with yours.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby James Perrett » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:06 pm

lawrenceyoungenid wrote:Ok I found out to fix it in case any one ever has this problem. I have a friend who has Adobe Audition and he opened the files in it and went to edit - interpret sample rate - and he put in 440000 as the rate. This fixed it. Now I can sleep lol

I've had to do this with certain files too. Usually it is down to the interface being set to one sample rate when the track is enabled for record and then the sample rate changes before the record button is actually pressed. So the file is recorded at the new sample rate but the header still contains the old sample rate.

Even worse - I have a few DAT tapes where the sample rate changes in the middle of the tape. Computer files can't handle sample rate changes part way through the file.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:08 pm

Yes, it's a problem with the file descriptor -- claiming to be at a sample rate it's not actually recorded at. There are utilities around that can help you re-write the file headers with the relevant information -- as you've found. It shouldn't happen, of course... but it's not hard to accidentally mis-configure a system that can then result in mis-flagged files!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby manwilde » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:44 pm

Hello. This has happened to me this week, and I´ve solved the problem using the Adobe Audition trick, so thank you very much indeed for pointing that... but now the files don´t align to the click they were recorded to. They sound fine by themselves, but I can´t for the life of me find a spot were they lock to the grid all along the full song, and the beats land on "in-beteween" measures ("17.2.263", for instance).

I know the band played in tempo (I wasn´t present at the recording, but I´m mixing it) because on the other three songs for that session there are not important discrepancies in perfomance vs. click track, and these are accomplished jazz musicians playing pop-songwriter tunes.

The band is planning to overdub more stuff over this tracks, also playing to a click, so any idea on how to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated!.
manwilde
Regular

Postby CS70 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:30 pm

If you forget the grid (and the original tempo) for a moment, are the files they still musical? Do they align to each other? Or do you hear timing problems?
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby manwilde » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:59 am

Yes, aside from the grid issue, all sounds fine...
manwilde
Regular

Postby manwilde » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:16 pm

Near the end of the song tempo is off by 1.6 BPM according to Reaper...
manwilde
Regular

Postby CS70 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:20 pm

manwilde wrote:Near the end of the song tempo is off by 1.6 BPM according to Reaper...

Hehe that means little without knowing the tempo and time signature of the song :D

But regardless: don't know Reaper, but most DAWs have the sample rate as a project property - so is it correct there?
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby manwilde » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:00 pm

Yes, all settings are correct, what surely happened is what Hugh described: the tracks were armed for recording prior changing the sample rate of the session, so the headers for the wav files were saying "ok, this are 44.100Khz files" when actually the recording was made at 48k.
The three subsequent songs didn´t suffer this issue, as the correct sample rate (48k) was already set before opening each session... Thanks for the suggestion anyway!.

Regarding the timing issue, I would also think it´s a performance related thing, but my colleague swears that when the recording took place everyone was right on the click, just as on the other three songs recorded after that one. And when you listen to those three over the click, they don´t drift that much. I mean, it´s not quantised music, but they are on the click, whereas on the first one you can really tell the mistmatch already from the second verse on, so much so that they surely would have stopped the take on the spot and do another one... Plus, they all go in time with each other. Just not with the click.

I´m lost here, I don´t know what to do. Something to do with clocking, maybe?. I don´t know...
manwilde
Regular

Postby manwilde » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:10 pm

Oh, I see now that I misunderstood your comment about the song signature and tempo. Sorry, it´s been a long day. The song is 70bpm and was recorded to a 4/4 click track. Whatever the bpm offset might be, the music doesn´t land on fixed spots of the grid, regardless of any grid subdivision (and I´ve tried for quite a long time...) :headbang:
manwilde
Regular

Postby CS70 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:09 pm

No problem. :)

How long is the track (in minutes, secs and msecs) when it plays ok (but off grid)?
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby manwilde » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:18 pm

Ending tail aside, last beat lands at 4:40:05...
manwilde
Regular

Postby manwilde » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:21 pm

-sorry, it´s 4:36.29, I had moved the clip from bar 0... :headbang: :headbang:
manwilde
Regular

Next