You are here

VST LIcence Issue in Reaper

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

VST LIcence Issue in Reaper

Postby pk.roberts » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:01 pm

A Bit of background; in the past I have used various Sony Video and Audio Software (Vegas & Sound Forge mostly). The ownership of these products has now passed to Magix. These products have come with various paid for and licenced VST effects.
My main DAW is Reaper and over the years I have used VST effects in my projects, including those from Sony/Magix with no problems.
However, whilst in the Sony/Magix products I have no problems continuing to use the VSTs, in Reaper, they have reverted to Demo Mode. I really don't want to go through every old project and replace them (especially as they are properly licenced), so I'm guessing that some upgrade at some point has moved/deleted/generally mucked something about.
My google-fu has let me down badly and I've come up empty on this one. Any thoughts or help welcome.
pk.roberts
Regular
Ain't No Party Like an S Club Party

Re: VST LIcence Issue in Reaper

Postby blinddrew » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:23 pm

Have you tried rescanning the plugins to see if it will pick up any licence files that may have been separated from their VSTs?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby pk.roberts » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:01 pm

If you mean the 'Re-scan' button in Preferences > VST, then yes, but sadly to no avail. I'm sure if I knew what search terms to use, I might have a chance of sorting this one. I'm a bit stuck as to why some applications are 'seeing' the licences but Reaper isn't. Is there another cunning way to tell it (Reaper) where they are (the licences that is) and if so - how do I find them?
pk.roberts
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:09 pm

Do they work in any other non Sony/Magix software?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby pk.roberts » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:38 pm

Having had a more in depth look at this, I have to admit I can't actually find the VSTs anywhere on my PC.
They appear in the list of effects available in Reaper and are working in 'demo mode' (i.e. with periodic noise bursts) on existing projects, but I can't find them in any of the listed VST Plug-in paths.
They appear and work OK from the 'Effects' menu in Sound Forge, but even in there, I can't find them in either the default or alternative VST search folders.
I use 'Everything' as a search utility on my PC and even that can't locate them anywhere (in any name variant that I've tried).
:headbang:
pk.roberts
Regular

Postby pk.roberts » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:04 pm

Well I'm now thoroughly embarrassed; I've just realised that the effects in question are, in fact, old DX plug-ins, so I'm guessing they just ain't gonna work no how!
Sorry to have wasted your skull sweat!
:oops:
pk.roberts
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:05 am

Reaper supposedly supports Direct X plug-ins though I don't have any on this machine to check whether they still work.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:48 am

James Perrett wrote:Reaper supposedly supports Direct X plug-ins though I don't have any on this machine to check whether they still work.

Yes, they do - I still have (and very occasionally use) my ancient QSound DIrectX plug-ins with Reaper, and they work fine :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker