You are here

CD artwork and burning programs?

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

CD artwork and burning programs?

Postby Arpangel » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:04 am

I hate all this, but I keep being prompted by my collaborator to do something about getting our CD's printed and packaged. I need something that will manage the artwork, and do on-body printing and final burning. I’m getting rigour mortice already just typing about this, it’s so boring.
But this has to be done, as we need a few CD's to hand out at gigs when we are able.

:think:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: CD artwork and burning programs?

Postby The Red Bladder » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:23 pm

Layouts - Corel Draw.

Mastering and CD formatting - Soundforge.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Red Bladder » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:37 pm

P.S. Try to get an old copy of Corel Draw 11 or 12, it has all you need and has PDF export.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:49 pm

I'm using Nero's Cover Designer for labels - mainly because it seems to be the only software that gives sensible results with my Canon CD printer. It takes a bit of searching for on the Nero website but it doesn't cost any money.

For burning I still use Plextools with a Plextor burner or ImgBurn for non Plextor burners. With both of these I burn from a .cue/wav fileset.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:50 pm

Arpangel wrote: I need something that will manage the artwork, and do on-body printing and final burning. I’m getting rigour mortice already just typing about this, it’s so boring.

If you buy an inkjet printer capable of on-body CD printing, it will come with a simple graphics program specifically for the job. My last few Epsons all have.

However, if DIY is all too boring for you, there are countless companies out there that will replicate (in surprisingly small numbers), CDs complete with on body printing and booklets or J-cards etc. And at very attractive prices. Several advertise in the classifieds at the back of the magazine every month.

But I know what you mean about rigour mortice setting in when typing obvious answers to simple questions..
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:45 pm

Anything graphic-ish I do in the free http://www.photopea.com

It's essentially Photoshop in a browser.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby MOF » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:52 pm

Photoshop Elements and Waveburner (Mac only I think). CD Baby have a CD production facility if you sign up with them.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:07 pm

If it is creating the artwork proper that bothers you, there's millions Fiverr people who will do it for ten bucks..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby James Perrett » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:29 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:If you buy an inkjet printer capable of on-body CD printing, it will come with a simple graphics program specifically for the job. My last few Epsons all have.

Unfortunately the software that comes with the current Canon printers is rubbish and the old Canon software doesn't work with the new printers (it won't even start if a compatible printer isn't connected). I gave up trying to transfer the designs I'd done with the old software and ended up re-creating them with Nero Cover Designer. I wish I'd started using it years ago which would have saved me going through all different kinds of proprietary printing software depending upon which printer/label stock I was using.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:33 pm

I did say they were usually pretty simple...

I've always used CorelDraw, personally, and occasionally Photoshop.... But I can't see Arpy wanting to climb those learning curves.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Arpangel » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:06 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:But I know what you mean about rigour mortice setting in when typing obvious answers to simple questions..

Hugh Robjohns wrote:But I can't see Arpy wanting to climb those learning curves.

OOOOooooohhhhhhhhh!!!! get yooooooo!!!!

:D :D

OK Hugh, after all this I’m taking the obvious way out, someone else can do it.
Trouble is, it was easy when I lived in London, there were people all over the place, now it’s down to posting stuff I guess.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:15 am

Arpangel wrote:Trouble is, it was easy when I lived in London, there were people all over the place, now it’s down to posting stuff I guess.

It's always a 'trouble'.... there is this thing called the Internet now and services that allow large file transfers between people....
Hugh Robjohns

Postby CS70 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:16 am

Arpangel wrote:Trouble is, it was easy when I lived in London, there were people all over the place, now it’s down to posting stuff I guess.

https://www.fiverr.com/ for the design

https://www.duplicationcentre.co.uk/ for the rest

:)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Arpangel » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:49 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:

It's always a 'trouble'.... there is this thing called the Internet now and services that allow large file transfers between people....

Hugh, yes, it is "trouble" I’m not interested in the slightest, I’d rather not do it.
I feel that way about a lot of technical stuff, I just don’t enjoy it anymore, I did once, but not now.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster