You are here

Gibson Les Paul Signature output panic!

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Gibson Les Paul Signature output panic!

Postby Wonks » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:17 pm

Just finished working on Arkieboy's Gibson Les Paul Signature (a 1973 one I believe). A new selector switch (as the old one had disintegrated) and a fret level to remove all the dents in them.

Did all that, plugged it in on the nice socket on the top of the guitar, just like a 335 has, and had to turn the amp right up to hear anything at all. I was sure it was far louder than that when it got dropped off and Arkieboy plugged it in.

I knew it had low-impedance pickups and passive circuitry, so its wiring certainly isn't the normal arrangement. I needed a circuit diagram to even begin to try and fault find. Finally managed to track one down on the Gibson web site (they'd called it LPSignature, so a logical search for 'Les Paul Signature' returned nothing).

Then realised that the wiring diagram showed two output sockets - a TRS and a TS one. Looked on the side of the guitar and there was another jack socket (the sly buggers!). Plugged into that and normal volume levels ensued. The top jack is the balanced low impedance output.

Panic over.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Gibson Les Paul Signature output panic!

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:49 pm

:lol:

If it's any consolation, it's not just you. I did something similar once, insofar as I brought my shiny new SY85 along to a band rehearsal, plumbed it into the PA and expected greatness.

What I got was... odd. After several minutes of panic thinking it was faulty and would have to be returned for repair/replacement I realised I'd plugged in outputs 3 + 4 instead of 1 + 2.

Outputs 3 + 4 default to the wet output from the FX :headbang:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby zenguitar » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:57 am

At least Gibson had the sense to make the wiring diagram available even if it wasn’t straight forward to find. Glad you got it sorted :clap:

My afternoon was spent gluing a snapped off headstock back onto an old classical guitar. Nearly two hours peering through a big magnifying lamp and reading glasses wielding my fine jeweller’s tweezers and a scalpel removing stray and damaged wood fibres. And then another hour preparing and gluing. But it was worth the effort, went back together first time.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Wonks » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:22 am

Well, if these classical guitarists will insist on throwing their guitars around on stage to show off, what can they expect? :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:38 am

It least I managed to convince him that a Floyd Rose was a poor upgrade choice. ;)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Music Wolf » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:48 am

Quite right. Everyone knows that it's a Bigsby or nothing on a classical guitar.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:39 pm

Yes - also the choice of Neil Segovia Young!
Love his Mozart/Heart of Gold homage
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby arkieboy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:38 am

I don't think I've ever used the low impedance output TBF.

For me one of the big attractions of the guitar is the simplified 'decade' control from Les's other 70s guitars: the 3 position 'level' control (as named from the circuit diagram a rather relieved Wonks sent me :bouncy: ) basically changes the thickness of the guitar sound, from something I've always labelled as 'P90' through normal humbucking midrange to 'dial turned to 11'. You can really cover a huge range of bases with that and the phase knob - from Larry Carlton to pre-'Grace' Alex Lifeson pretty much. The decade control is inactive on the low impedance circuit ...

Despite it not seeing a competent luthier for decades, this was still arguably my best playing guitar. Really looking forward to how it plays when I get it back!!

IIRC there are only something like 1500 of these around. I've seen one played by the guitarist in Loose Tubes, I think someone in the Foos has one, one of Bob Plant's current guitarists uses one too I think, and (significantly) the late Boon Gould used one on early Level 42 material.
arkieboy
Regular

Postby arkieboy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:43 am

Also I'm fairly certain I swapped around the outputs - I figured if I ever damaged the guitar from yanking the jack, it would be easier, and less visible, if the damage was on the side rather than the face.

Apologies!
arkieboy
Regular

Postby arkieboy » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:51 pm

So I popped round Wonks' yesterday afternoon to pick up said guitar, and took it to an Oxford Gang Show rehearsal today because ... well, because!

It is now effortless to play and a number of the odd chords in some of the big band numbers - 'Crest of a Wave', 'Rain on my Parade', you know I'm talking about you C#dim7/C - which previously were a bit hit-and-miss, just fall under the fingers.

I should also mention that this year we get to do 'Another Brick pt. II'. The the kids are brilliant: perfect surly, resentful attitude. Score is cut before the guitar solo. FML. Which is why he's looking at my John Mayer Strat now ... :bouncy:
arkieboy
Regular

Postby Wonks » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:41 am

You're going to need to get some more guitars just so I can keep working on them!
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby arkieboy » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:13 am

Wonks wrote:You're going to need to get some more guitars just so I can keep working on them!

Challenge accepted ;-)
arkieboy
Regular

Postby BigRedX » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:47 pm

arkieboy wrote:IIRC there are only something like 1500 of these around. I've seen one played by the guitarist in Loose Tubes, I think someone in the Foos has one, one of Bob Plant's current guitarists uses one too I think, and (significantly) the late Boon Gould used one on early Level 42 material.

Andy Ryder of Medium Medium used one to great effect in the early 80s along with a Roland Jazz Chorus amp.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby arkieboy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:59 pm

BigRedX wrote:
arkieboy wrote:Andy Ryder of Medium Medium used one to great effect in the early 80s along with a Roland Jazz Chorus amp.

Thanks! Another one for the list!
arkieboy
Regular