You are here

Updating HX Stomp pedal

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Updating HX Stomp pedal

Postby John Egan » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:32 pm

Last week, I decided to buy the HX Stomp. Now I reckon I should update it (firmware and software). I was quite surprised to find that the firmware version was v2.65 from some years ago.
I see that there are dire warnings on the Line 6 site about needing to upgrade HX edit in two stages, v2.80 before upgrading to v 2.82 (the current version )and before attempting to upgrade the firmware, because of the difference in software architecture. I also see that v2.70 was a big step from what preceded it.

I am very happy with the performance of the pedal in front of an amplifier, but as yet I haven't tried to use it as a USB interface.

However the process of updating it was one of the most convoluted I have ever come across.

When I installed the listed USB driver, the device initially showed up in Device Manager as USB, but not in Reason, which I didn't understand. It took a while until I finally found a reference to an earlier version of the driver which was needed for my pedal. Finding said driver took more time, since there was no link on the Downloads pages.. After that the upgrade was fairly staightforward, but long winded, through three stages. At the end I was presented with a view of the updated presets but all without names (all called New Preset)
Fortunately, I had backed up the original presets and was able to restore them.

Hopefully, I can now get on to trying them out! I hope others have better luck. If possible, it would be good to find a unit with the recent firmware. Good product, but "nul points" for software friendliness.

Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Re: Updating HX Stomp pedal

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:38 pm

I commiserate with your experience John - I've also been through some convoluted update procedures over the years, and sometimes I've wondered whether the updated features were worth all the hassle and uncertainty in getting there.

:headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:43 pm

I can't comment on the stomp but the Helix underwent A significant update a few months ago. There were plenty of warnings from Line6 about backing up first and that an error message would be displayed during the update process (and not to switch off at this point). Despite this the internet was awash with reports of failed attempts, people losing data etc. From what I could see most of these failures were due to people having not read, or not followed, the instructions but you still have to question whether Line6 should have done a bit more work before releasing the upgrade to ensure that these spurious failure messages would not occur.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:18 pm

There were bear traps in the 2.80 upgrade that a lot of us fell into. I don't recall the details now, but you had to follow the instructions to the letter and it was easy to miss a step - I was in that number of missing the step :blush: and had a heck of a time sorting it out.

As long as you back up there's no reason to lose data, but some people never back up, then cry loudly when they get caught out.

The good news is that once you're over 2.80 the updates are a doddle. Just use the Line 6 Updater utility and you should be done in minutes.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby John Egan » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:47 pm

The Elf wrote:There were bear traps in the 2.80 upgrade that a lot of us fell into. I don't recall the details now, but you had to follow the instructions to the letter and it was easy to miss a step - I was in that number of missing the step :blush: and had a heck of a time sorting it out.

As long as you back up there's no reason to lose data, but some people never back up, then cry loudly when they get caught out.

The good news is that once you're over 2.80 the updates are a doddle. Just use the Line 6 Updater utility and you should be done in minutes.

The aspect which I found the most surprising was the fact that the driver installation process does not at any point provide an error message when one tries to install a driver which will not work. Once I had appreciated that I first needed the v1.91 driver to communicate with the device, the rest was reasonably straightforward. Even then though, the organisation of the information on the website is poor and the Cheat Sheet is appalling. I don't think the end user gets a cogent view of the installation process at all.

Still, it all seems to work now.

Regards, John
John Egan
Regular