You are here

Pedal of the week.

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:09 am

I've had the Gigboard for a few months now but, obviously, not used it in a band situation. As far as I can tell the pedal models are pretty good and with everything bypassed it is completely transparent. I will get around to comparing my Gigboard rig to my physical pedalboard rig at some point but I'm hopeful it will be possible to get very close.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby John Egan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:34 pm

If I could only have one pedal, it would be the Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe. Used subtly, it adds a nice, interesting edge to the sound. Useful on almost any track.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:04 pm

I’ve never been attracted to Line 6 stuff, don’t know why, I think it’s because it’s mainly used by guitarists and I’m primarily a keyboard player, plus, I’ve never heard anything to make me think wow! gotta have that. Maybe it’s great if you’re a guitarist and are into cabs and tone and overdrive and all that stuff, but to me they aren’t that useful.
I’ll have an investigation, I may be missing something.
I think guitarists are very much traditionalist, well, a lot are, and they aren’t easily swayed by pitchverbchorusreverserainbowflangewildwhammydowntheblackhole......verb.
Unlike me....

:D :D :D :D :D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:57 pm

Arpangel wrote:I think guitarists are very much traditionalist, well, a lot are, and they aren’t easily swayed by pitchverbchorusreverserainbowflangewildwhammydowntheblackhole......verb.
I think we are, we just think it looks cool to have 16 different pedals to make it happen... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:08 pm

blinddrew wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I think guitarists are very much traditionalist, well, a lot are, and they aren’t easily swayed by pitchverbchorusreverserainbowflangewildwhammydowntheblackhole......verb.
I think we are, we just think it looks cool to have 16 different pedals to make it happen... ;)

That figures! us keyboard players have always been let down by appearances, but at least, we’re not drummers.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:10 am

I was just trying out a few new pedals at rehearsal tonight. (all of us have no contact with the outside world other than shopping and we play in a barn with the door open).

I quite like the EHX Tone Corset. It's really versatile and it tops the high end off nicely, almost sounds like 456 pushed. Creamy and squished, does a great clean boost too. I also finally got a Deluxe Memory Man XO which was fun and will take a lot more exploring to really get to know. lucky me! That, the carbon copy and a DD-6 can put me very far down the bunny trail :D
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby SecretSam » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:33 am

Arpangel wrote:I’ve never been attracted to Line 6 stuff, don’t know why, I think it’s because it’s mainly used by guitarists and I’m primarily a keyboard player, plus, I’ve never heard anything to make me think wow! gotta have that. Maybe it’s great if you’re a guitarist and are into cabs and tone and overdrive and all that stuff, but to me they aren’t that useful.
I’ll have an investigation, I may be missing something.
I think guitarists are very much traditionalist, well, a lot are, and they aren’t easily swayed by pitchverbchorusreverserainbowflangewildwhammydowntheblackhole......verb.
Unlike me....

:D :D :D :D :D

The lots-of-amps-and-cabs functions don't do it for me either. The instrument is the combination of guitar and amp, so I would only use an amp SIM where a nice amp isn't available. But using a line 6 FX box is quite handy. They sound good, are robust, very intuitive to use, replace a lot of cables and power supplies, and are a fraction of the size and weight of a traditional pedal board.

I don't like over-processed guitars: if you want something that sounds like a synth, phone a keyboard player. But the M9 chains up to three concurrent effects, which I arbitrarily think is the limit before you just hear the FX, not the guitar.

It is said that analogue overdrive and distortion are better than digital. So allowing for that, a rig that has pedals for those two functions and an M9 for the other stuff makes sense to me. The alternative is to have a shelf full of pedals, each of which adds cabling and noise, and which after a point has to be controlled with a a digital switching board anyway. The single-bed-sized boards that people post on the interweb just look unusable to me. It's supposed to be a system for music performance, not a train set.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby SecretSam » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:34 am

... I forgot to add:. "Harrumph."
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:33 am

Regarding Line 6, if I want chorus, delay, or anything weird, it’s always EHX for me, they just deliver, they are so thick and juicy, even the Memory Toy is one of the best delays I’ve ever heard, regarding tone.
But, I have heard guitarists getting some fabulous tones, and when I’ve enquired it’s been a Line 6 unit.
But I’m not sure how it would stand up to close scrutinisation, in a studio situation, compared to my EHX stuff.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby SecretSam » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:40 am

In a studio, yes probably you could hear a difference. At least until you faffed around with eq, compression and reverb when mixing :-)
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:14 am

SecretSam wrote:In a studio, yes probably you could hear a difference. At least until you faffed around with eq, compression and reverb when mixing :-)

That’s true! Although EHX have always had a "big" sound, very rich, and they work really well on synths.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:43 pm

Playing live, no one can tell what is being used and few care so the gear choices are about experience as a player. I don't have much experience with full digital setups and it sucks when a pedal goes down mid performance. It seems very brave to have your entire arsenal in a single point of failure but it's also brave to have tonnes of cords and wires offering multiple points of failure too! If I played out more I could see digital all in ones being very cool, but I like the unpredictable nature of analog gear. Sometime it just doesn't want to work, which forces me to get creative!

+1 for EHX. It's taken me a while to warm up to them, I had a Muff pedal that is useful only for playing Mr. Soul.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:47 pm

Arpangel wrote:
That figures! us keyboard players have always been let down by appearances, but at least, we’re not drummers.

:D
Keep telling yourself that but - - A piano is basically a percussion instrument.
So you’re really all a bunch of wanna-be drummers without the full body commitment!
:mrgreen:
(Flame suit - ON!)
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Watchmaker » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:02 pm

I used to live below a keyboardist who practiced unplugged and I could hear her through the floor. Sounded exactly like drummer going through rudiments on a practice pad. Drove me nuts but I was hardly in a position to complain!
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:10 pm

I had an old (pre-wallwart) Electric Mistress for years. I was gutted when her original owner took her back. :(
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Is it too late to cancel cancel culture?

PreviousNext