You are here

Pedal of the week.

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Pedal of the week.

Postby Arpangel » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:32 am

Yes, of the week, not even the month, or god forbid, the year, it’s got that bad here, I’m rapidly running out of space, and my wallet is trembling with fear.
I’m teetering on the edge of buying a Jam Ripply Falls, blown away by it, I don’t need it of course, but that’s not going to stop me from ordering one today.
I think we should have an equivalent of the "a little something to get you through the night" thread, but for pedals, my choices for the week are the Ripply Falls, and the Wampler Ego.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby garrettendi » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:50 am

I used to buy pedals fairly frequently, but now I have a pedalboard with no space on it, I've been better at not buying more pedals, simply as I can't be arsed to swap pedals on the pedalboard for different uses....

EDIT: My choice would be my TC Electronic Nova Modulator... I love it, but the 12v requirement is a pain
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Luke W » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:26 am

I've also behaved myself where pedals are concerned for quite a long time now, but I'm sure I can still contribute to this for a few weeks...

This week, Moog MF Drive. Love it.

garrettendi wrote:My choice would be my TC Electronic Nova Modulator... I love it, but the 12v requirement is a pain

:thumbup: I've got a Nova Reverb and found myself in a similar situation to you when I got it. I really like what it does and it's the ideal solution for the board it's on, but it was a noisy little sod and needed some jiggery-pokery with power cabling to get it to behave.
Luke W
Regular
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby blinddrew » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:31 am

I only have one interesting pedal on my boards and that's the Electroharmonix B9 - which is every bit as good and useful as the demos suggest. Had real nerves about spending that much on a guitar pedal but really adds something to a band setting if you don't have a keys player. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Luke W » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:01 am

blinddrew wrote:Had real nerves about spending that much on a guitar pedal

That's a feeling I envy...
Luke W
Regular
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Arpangel » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:39 am

I’ve had a couple of TC pedals, not got on with them.
It’s difficult to say what my favourites are, I like all the ones I’ve kept, and would miss all of them, although there some that get used all the time, staples, like my Zoom CDR70 the quality and versatility of that pedal goes way beyond its price. My EHX 16 Sec Delay is an instant thickener for anything, really lush, and there’s my Strymon Big Sky, which is just beyond.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:22 pm

If I had to have only one pedal it would have to be my TC Dual Vintage Distortion. Effectively two Tube Screamers in a box. I reckon I could do any electric gig with just that, the P90 Strat and the 18 watt combo. It's probably my pedal of the decade, no actually, pedal of the century.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Stratman57 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:30 pm

I'd have to pick the Boss SY1 synthesiser pedal and the Boss RE 20 echo pedal as my favourites.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby garrettendi » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:34 pm

If I have to pick an absolute favourite, I can't choose. It's a tie between the Nova Modulator (I referred to this as the Pedal of the Week for me not an absolute fave), my Bad Horsie wah, and the Biyang Metal End King.

The Biyang was a budget buy at £60, but it delivers pretty much any high gain sound you could want - I've heard it sound like a JCM 800, a 5150, a Rectifier and even a Krankenstein. I don't use it enough, but I plan to plug it into my desk and switch the cab sim on.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby The Elf » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:04 pm

My candidate for this week is a pedal that makes no sounds of its own - the Morningstar MC8. This thing has been an absolute revelation. THIS is how easy and flexible a set of MIDI pedal switches should be to program, and the possibilities are endless.

Finally I have full control of my loopers, and have even been able to build control sequences that are otherwise unavailable on the devices themselves, e.g. momentary record followed by instant playback - all from one switch.

The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby CS70 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:31 pm

blinddrew wrote:I only have one interesting pedal on my boards and that's the Electroharmonix B9 - which is every bit as good and useful as the demos suggest. Had real nerves about spending that much on a guitar pedal but really adds something to a band setting if you don't have a keys player. :thumbup:

That's lovely, I have it! So much fun to play all these organ sounds on a guitar! Even used it on a song. I don't have permanently connected anywhere so it doesn't come out often, but now you have me idea.

On the other side I have bought a used Keeley one-knob compressor months ago that I'm sure I need but haven't tried it. Feel a bit of an idiot about that, right now I don't even know in which drawer it is..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:34 pm

My pedal of the week is, probably, the Headrush Gigboard (the pedal of last week was the Tone Dexter...)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:01 pm

The Elf wrote:My candidate for this week is a pedal that makes no sounds of its own - the Morningstar MC8. This thing has been an absolute revelation. THIS is how easy and flexible a set of MIDI pedal switches should be to program, and the possibilities are endless.

Finally I have full control of my loopers, and have even been able to build control sequences that are otherwise unavailable on the devices themselves, e.g. momentary record followed by instant playback - all from one switch.

Image didn’t show up for me. An article showing your process step by step would be very helpful. I have been using loopers the old fashioned way and simple foot control would be awesome!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby zenguitar » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:11 am

The link points to a web location rather than an image. When trying to view using mod powers, clicking the link downloads a file rather than opening a web page/image.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
The more I understand Music, the less good I get at it.

Postby The Elf » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:37 am

The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Next