You are here

British pedals?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

British pedals?

Postby Arpangel » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:27 am

Seem to be a bit rare, seems to be a lot US/Canadian "boutique" activity, also Japan, as usual, and a few in Europe, but off the top of my head, I can’t really think of any British stuff, apart from a couple of high-end bespoke outfits.

:think:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: British pedals?

Postby Luke W » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:14 am

Origin Effects are the only ones that immediately spring to mind.
Luke W
Regular
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Music Wolf » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:32 am

There's Thorpy https://thorpyfx.com/

Anything UK built is going to be relatively expensive (or boutique as they like to put it) due to the labour cost.

Give me a decent multi fx unit any day.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:38 am

Music Wolf wrote:There's Thorpy https://thorpyfx.com/
Really nice guy, too. He's worth a call before you make any pedal-related decision.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:09 pm

Music Wolf wrote:There's Thorpy https://thorpyfx.com/

Anything UK built is going to be relatively expensive (or boutique as they like to put it) due to the labour cost.

Give me a decent multi fx unit any day.

His stuff looks very interesting, I’m after a good overdrive/distortion, but I’m not having any luck, it’s getting one that progressively cranks things up, slowly, with a valve like tone, doing things quietly but the tone is like full on, it’s difficult.
I’m checking out the Thermionic Culture Vulture, but it’s not a pedal, it’s big, and it’s b****y expensive.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:16 pm

Is this a distortion for guitar, or are you applying it to keyboards?
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:35 pm

Music Wolf wrote:Is this a distortion for guitar, or are you applying it to keyboards?

Mainly keyboards, but sometimes guitar.
I’m looking for a really dirty valve type distortion, but with control, just hovering on the edge, I’ve noticed a lot of pedals don’t have enough adjustment, they suddenly go wild and that’s that.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Luke W » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:54 pm

Not sure whether I'd call it "valve" sounding, but my Moog MF Drive is a nice bit of kit, I find it does that middle ground really nicely. Although I've just had a quick look and I'm not sure they're making them now, so might be a search around second hand job.
Luke W
Regular
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Arpangel » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:05 pm

Luke W wrote:Not sure whether I'd call it "valve" sounding, but my Moog MF Drive is a nice bit of kit, I find it does that middle ground really nicely. Although I've just had a quick look and I'm not sure they're making them now, so might be a search around second hand job.

Yes, this is something I’ve been trying to sort out for ages, with no success, trying out things isn’t easy, with a keyboard, maybe a bit easier with a guitar.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby SecretSam » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:42 pm

Frederic prices seem OK, and they have a lot of fans
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby ef37a » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:59 pm

Not really spam because I have no connection with them anymore,Blackstar Amplification make two ranges of pedals.
The first is the "HT" range so called because they use a 12AX7 valve run at a proper, hurty 300V supply. The "LT" range are designed to be close to the HTs but run from the conventional 9V battery or wall rat.

Yes, the pedals are made, very well, in the far east but the design is 100% home based guitar mad brains.

The HT range was reviewed in SOS a few years ago.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:54 pm

ef37a wrote:Not really spam because I have no connection with them anymore,Blackstar Amplification make two ranges of pedals.
The first is the "HT" range so called because they use a 12AX7 valve run at a proper, hurty 300V supply. The "LT" range are designed to be close to the HTs but run from the conventional 9V battery or wall rat.

Yes, the pedals are made, very well, in the far east but the design is 100% home based guitar mad brains.

The HT range was reviewed in SOS a few years ago.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, I’ll check this out.
I was happy at one point with my old and long gone Boss SE50, that had some great distortion and overdrive sounds, that were very controllable, very, very underrated unit in this respect.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hewesy » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:29 pm

Raygun FX based on Essex do a mix of mods and own line, I was going to send my Rat over but in the end I found in could sell it and get a Mooer Black Secret with change to scratch that itch when needed.

http://fuzzboxes.co.uk/

I've a Blackstar HT Drive, personally always found it a bit too much gain for me but it does work as a very nice valve preamp into an interface. I did fit a 12AT7 in mind which calmed it down (but Dave has rightly pointed out the various concerns on doing this in the past so change at caution).

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby thefruitfarmer » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:58 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Music Wolf wrote:Is this a distortion for guitar, or are you applying it to keyboards?

Mainly keyboards, but sometimes guitar.
I’m looking for a really dirty valve type distortion, but with control, just hovering on the edge, I’ve noticed a lot of pedals don’t have enough adjustment, they suddenly go wild and that’s that.

Maybe use the pedal in parallel rather than series?

You could treat the keyboard as if it was a guitar and run in through an amp, might get you in the ballpark for a grungy synth lead sound?
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby al_diablo » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:24 pm

Thorpy v well regarded, I can personally recommend the Frederic effects stuff, also Zander effects.

I think Hudson electronics are British too.
al_diablo
Regular

Next