You are here

Your muckabout guitar?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Your muckabout guitar?

Postby Hewesy » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:58 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:
It wouldn't have been my first choice either but it was a suprise present, so I wasn't complaining. Funny thing is I can't see any TA40 images online with gold harware, just higher spec models. I need a trip to the loft to dig out some old photos because I know it was one of those with lots of writing on the headstock, but can't recall if it had a scratchplate or not.

The only Fx units I had a the time were a Yamaha REX50 & some Alesis micro's, so it would have been around 1987/88 & I think it was around £260 back then.

Very nice gift, likewise I wouldn't have fussed either!

I kept looking at the Epi semi's with gold hardware but whenever I saw one in a shop they didn't look like the plating would last long. Mind you I quite like the tarnished look depending on how it flaked off.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:57 pm

CS70 wrote:
BobTheDog wrote:http://www.iguitar.com/i2000/i2000Models.asp?guitar=iGuitar1.13

That’s my workhorse, I have more sexy guitars but that’s the one that gets played all the time and will never be sold.

$2400, you do not kid when you muck about! Dont dare think of what are your serious guitars :lol:

They weren’t that much when I got mine, prices have gone up!
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:00 pm

A 2014 Gibson Melody Maker Les Paul for me

Bought it used for about £320 IIRC. Previous owner had done some relicing to the back of the neck and added some scratches to the body. So I don't mind if it gets knocked about a bit. It's the guitar I take if I go on holiday and want an electric with me rather than an acoustic.

Really nice guitar regardless of price. Thinner bodied than a LP, though still has a mahogany body/maple cap construction, so weight isn't an issue Quite a chunky and solid maple neck (so headstock is less likely to snap than if mahogany). Decent pickups (more Jazzmaster than P90 in construction with fixed magnet pole pieces).

No idea why it got given the 'Melody Maker' title as it's nothing like one. But it did come from the days when Gibson were very confused.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:31 pm

That's nice :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby zenguitar » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:40 pm

Wonks wrote:But it did come from the days when Gibson were very confused.

So we can get it pinned down to within three decades. ;)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby Wonks » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:09 pm

Even saying 'very, very confused' doesn't help does it. :headbang:
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby arkieboy » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:21 am

That’s my workhorse, I have more sexy guitars but that’s the one that gets played all the time and will never be sold.

'Muckabout'. I don't really have enough money for a muckabout guitar - everything has to earn its keep!

My i2.13 is my workhorse. Been to nearly every gig and rehearsal since I bought it.
arkieboy
Regular

Postby uselessoldman » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:41 pm

Honestly? I could never describe any of my instruments as a muckabout since they are not responsible for the noise I make trying to play them. Muckabout should therefore be aimed squarely at me not any specific instrument. I need to stop mucking about !!

That said I have a couple of Ibanez RG570s I have owned and battered about for years but they hold a special place in my heart, being the first guitars I actually bought kept and have never considered selling . Then there is the Slash. My girlfriend bought it for me last year for peanuts, yes I know its original price was peanuts as its the Epiphone version. I then acquired the Gibson and decided the Epiphone version deserved some upgrades. So I then spent twice what it cost on parts and now its as good as the Gibbie - well maybe not quite but its good enough for me.

Didn't help the noise I make or how I play it, don't think anything will
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby BobTheDog » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:35 pm

arkieboy wrote:

'Muckabout'. I don't really have enough money for a muckabout guitar - everything has to earn its keep!

My i2.13 is my workhorse. Been to nearly every gig and rehearsal since I bought it.

Luckily none of my instruments has to earn their keep otherwise I wouldn’t have any :)
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Previous