You are here

Any potential issues using a P/S with a 2 pin Euro plug with BOSS boards?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Any potential issues using a P/S with a 2 pin Euro plug with BOSS boards?

Postby S.Crow » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:52 pm

First post so hello to everyone, hope you are well and enjoying your musical activities. Now down to business. :)

I have a BOSS SY-300 and GT-100 being shipped from France and both come with a power supply fitted with a 2 pin Euro plug.
Can I just use a 2 to 3 pin adapter or might that potentially lead to ground loops depending on how I use them? Not sure how I will use them yet but want to be prepared.

I do have UK versions of MXR and Voodoo Labs power supplies and both are optically isolated and can provide enough juice to power the BOSS units. Although only the MXR has enough juice to run the one that requires over 500mA; the GT-100.
BOSS only want you to use their power supplies unsurprisingly, but if I can’t get away with using the French ones, should my MXR and Voodoo Labs do the job?
Thanks.
S.Crow
Poster

Re: Any potential issues using a P/S with a 2 pin Euro plug with BOSS boards?

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:08 pm

If the MXR and Voodoo Labs supplies provide the correct voltages and power they'll be fine, that's what they are designed for. Regarding earth loops that would depend on the earthing arrangements of the various pieces of gear you have connected up so you need to look at the system as a whole.

Welcome BTW :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hewesy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:51 pm

It might be the Boss included PSU allows you to change the pin ends, or looking at Amazon you can get a replacement for less than a fiver.

Or as noted as long as the power requirements match use whatever PSU you like.

I'd use a replacement over a travel converter as often they aren't great at earthing well.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:59 pm

You don't usually need an earth with a guitar pedal supply as they are mostly Class 2 devices but, pre-Brexit, EU retailers selling to the UK had to supply UK PSUs (adapter plugs were not acceptable), not sure if that has changed but I'd be surprised if it had so if you are buying new from a retailer I'dd ask them to supply the correct UK spec PSUs.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby S.Crow » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:39 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I’ve checked the power supplies and they do use the regular Roland format of 9V, -ve/centre and the barrel size is the same as all my other stuff.
I will try them using a 2 to 3 pin adapter and look out for noise.
If that becomes a problem I’ll swap out the PSUs for my MXR or Voodoo Labs and compare.
There is one discrepancy in that the BOSS GT-100 is rated for 600mA but the PSB-1U that came with it is rated for 2A.
I suppose that comes down to headroom and hopefully my MXR which outputs 800mA should be fine.

Looking forward to playing with my new toys over the weekend.
Have spring cleaned the ‘live room’ and will get stuck in.
S.Crow
Poster

Postby S.Crow » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:13 pm

So far it seems as if I only have issues if I connect the GT-100 directly to the mixer which I probably wouldn’t generally do anyway, so I will carry on with the 2 pin plugs for now.
S.Crow
Poster