You are here

Behringer 2600

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Behringer 2600

Postby Wonks » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:43 am

Pg 185 shows that you should be able to display the level of aftertouch pressure being applied. If you can get different levels on the bar display, then it's not the sensors. If you only get one level + off, then it probably is.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Folderol » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:38 am

That's useful info. I wasn't aware of that. However, monitoring the actual values that Yoshimi sees, reveals that it's not the note ranges that are different - they all come out at 0-127, but the pressure you have to exert before there is any response at all :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Wonks » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:34 pm

On my D-50 you have to push pretty hard to trigger the aftertouch. I suppose it's to stop it being triggered accidentally by heavy-handed players.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:13 pm

Roland synths are notorious for needing a really heavy hand to work the aftertouch. As a JD800 owner, I always make sure my trusty lump hammer is on hand when playing....

:lol:
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Folderol » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:27 pm

Interesting.
Two questions though. Once triggered does it require a lot more pressure for max level (127) or is it like mine very little extra pressure?

Also, is it noticeably different for different keys?

Oh, and another question, does is seem to require more pressure for the black notes than the white ones?

What I'm finding particularly difficult is using this to change filter cutoff on a horn sound. Up till now I've used an override on the Mod wheel and that actually gives very good results, but of course then leaves me with no 'spare' hand :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby DGL. » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:06 pm

Folderol wrote:Interesting.
Two questions though. Once triggered does it require a lot more pressure for max level (127) or is it like mine very little extra pressure?

Also, is it noticeably different for different keys?

Oh, and another question, does is seem to require more pressure for the black notes than the white ones?

What I'm finding particularly difficult is using this to change filter cutoff on a horn sound. Up till now I've used an override on the Mod wheel and that actually gives very good results, but of course then leaves me with no 'spare' hand :(

Just get an S2/3 and be done with it, they don't come up very often and turbo models have the Varta batteries of death but they generally go for not much dosh.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:35 pm

Dave B wrote:Roland synths are notorious for needing a really heavy hand to work the aftertouch. As a JD800 owner, I always make sure my trusty lump hammer is on hand when playing....
I had my JX-8P modded it was so damned bad. All it needed was a resistor replacing in the aftertouch circuit, then it was a beautifully playable beast.

The Kronos was the best feeling aftertouch I've ever used. It's the only thing I miss about it!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ramthelinefeed » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:20 pm

So I saw about Korg's new Pearlman & Friend approved kARP 2600 in SOS's news section,
thought 'gosh, that's wonderful, what a time to be alive! :) '
only to find on every online store I looked at that it was a 'limited production run' and already sold out.

WHY DO THEY DO THAT!?!? :madas: :madas: :madas:
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with!

Postby Wonks » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:30 pm

I can't even see the point of the review in next month's SOS. it's bound to be a multi-page in-depth review of something no-one can now buy.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby ramthelinefeed » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:36 pm

Wonks wrote:I can't even see the point of the review in next month's SOS. it's bound to be a multi-page in-depth review of something no-one can now buy.

I bet Gordon Reid has two of them :bouncy:
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with!

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:44 pm

I dare say if there is evidence of serious demand there could well be a second production run, or a run in a slightly lower cost form without the flight-casing etc...

Or it may be that they just wanted to set a high benchmark before stepping aside to avoid pointlessly competing with Behringer's alternative.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:30 pm

ramthelinefeed wrote:So I saw about Korg's new Pearlman & Friend approved kARP 2600 in SOS's news section,
thought 'gosh, that's wonderful, what a time to be alive! :) '
only to find on every online store I looked at that it was a 'limited production run' and already sold out.

WHY DO THEY DO THAT!?!? :madas: :madas: :madas:
Probably because they only have resources to make that many and know that if the first lot sells out then people will be beating at doors to get the next batch!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:48 am

This Korg situation is just plain silly, I know it’s not a mainstream product, but honestly, at least make "enough" to satisfy the demand, and Korg, you’re a big company, with access to large marketing and research departments, don’t tell me you haven’t done your research on what the demand could be.
Also, how about a repro of the ARP2500? Believe me, if that ever happened I’d get one, I mean "I'd" make sure I’d get one, know what I mean? even if only two were made.

:D
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby BigRedX » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:46 am

If they are all sold out already I can't see any point in SOS reviewing it.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby desmond » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:52 am

Maybe they weren't sure of demand and did a light manufacturing run to see how things go (especially in light of the competition), and if the demand is still there, then they might make more..?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:55 am

BigRedX wrote:If they are all sold out already I can't see any point in SOS reviewing it.

Just as a keen synthesizer nerd, I'd be absolutely gutted if SOS didn't do the full-on Gordon review! I'm never ever going to buy one of these beasts, so I don't give a monkey's whether the first run has sold out or not... but I want to know all there is to know about it regardless. The same applies to a lot of other high end gear too...
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:05 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
BigRedX wrote:If they are all sold out already I can't see any point in SOS reviewing it.

Just as a keen synthesizer nerd, I'd be absolutely gutted if SOS didn't do the full-on Gordon review! I'm never ever going to buy one of these beasts, so I don't give a monkey's whether the first run has sold out or not... but I want to know all there is to know about it regardless. The same applies to a lot of other high end gear too...

I may be wrong, but I can't see the point of reviewing things that aren’t available, or on the market, it’s would be a bit of a wind up for me, rubbing salt into the wounds.

:( :?:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:13 am

Arpangel wrote:I can't see the point of reviewing things that aren’t available, or on the market...

Firstly, the lead time of magazine production is such that it was reviewed just before the 2600 was first made available on the market. It's pretty unusual that such an expensive and unique product sells out so quickly after launch, and unfortunate timing for the magazine.

Nevertheless, there's a good chance that even if the first batch has fully sold out, Korg may well do a second run if all those claiming to be so disappointed at having missed it genuinely want to place orders...

There's also the comparison aspect as we know Behringer is producing its own version soon, so it will be interesting to compare the two -- both technically and in terms of the performance experience -- through their reviews.

Next, there's the second hand market: these things will inevitably appear on it in years to come, and that's when a good review in the SOS archives would be a very useful thing.

And then there's just the 'untouchable dream' thing. Half the stuff reviewed in the mag is unavailable to most because they simply don't have the money, the space, or the requirement... but they still want to read about it and dream....

But hey, if the review will really upset you that much I'll personally cut the pages out of your subscription copy before we send it out...

Oh, wait... I just remembered, you don't buy the mag do you?
:headbang:

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby BigRedX » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:41 am

I don't mind reviews of things that are out of reach for me simply because I don't have the money. I can aspire to owning them when I do - that's what I did when I saw my first Gus Guitar in one of the music magazines back in the mid-80s, now I own 4 of them.

However for something that has already sold out and with no definite plans for a second run, I really can't see the point. If the review has already been written then save it for if Korg definitely decide to make some more.

As for the second hand market how often do these instruments show up from the original production run? There's one on eBay in the US at the moment, but that's the only one I have seen for quite some time. I would imagine that a lot of the Korg production run will have sold to owners of the original model as a backup.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:12 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:But hey, if the review will really upset you that much I'll personally cut the pages out of your subscription copy before we send it out...

Oh, wait... I just remembered, you don't buy the mag do you?
:headbang:

H

Thanks Hugh, I may take you up on that....
Ecologically I’m on the ball reading my friends copy, if he didn’t give it to me he’d have to throw it away, and that wouldn’t be good.

:D
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

PreviousNext