You are here

First Analogue synth: Behringer Pro one VS Toraiz AS-1

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

First Analogue synth: Behringer Pro one VS Toraiz AS-1

Postby TheTiP » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:09 pm

Hey guys!

I got some money saved and I'm finally ready to buy my first analog synth.

After looking for different options, I was all decided on buying the Behringer Pro-1 which would fit well to my Techno and Synthwave producing.
It was at this moment that I discover the Toraiz AS-1, a synth made in collaboration with Dave smith which turns out to be essentially one voice of the prophet 6.

Released at a higher price, the As-1 can now be found for about 400€ (VS 320€ for the Bp-1)

From what I understood the main difference between the two is the ability to save presets on the As-1 (not possible on the Bp-1). Not having presets is a huge deal-breaker for my own particular workflow. I don't necessarily need the factory presets banks but the ability to open a 2 months old project, and deciding that I want to change both the melody and the bassline, without having to reprogram each is gold for me.

I heard about some issues with the sequencer of the AS-1, but I don't really mind as I will be using it only playing MIDI from my daw. Also, the AS-1 only has a limited amount of knobs on the front panel, which means more menu diving on control via the VST interface.
That sucks but it's a "default" that I'm willing to accept for the ability to save presets.

So my question is (finally), what are the main difference between the 2 in terms of sonic capability? the review online says they both sound really nice, but am I losing some parameters or sonic capabilities if I got for the AS-1?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Cheers!
TheTiP

Re: First Analogue synth: Behringer Pro one VS Toraiz AS-1

Postby desmond » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:37 pm

TheTiP wrote:Not having presets is a huge deal-breaker for my own particular workflow. I don't necessarily need the factory presets banks but the ability to open a 2 months old project, and deciding that I want to change both the melody and the bassline, without having to reprogram each is gold for me.

Then you don't want an "old" non-programmable analog synth (even if it's a modern emulation of it).

Analog synths like this are for tweaking, playing, printing to audio and moving on, not for endless 1:1 project recall.

I have no experience with the Toraiz, but the interface is *very* limited...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby TheTiP » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:58 pm

Thanks for your answer desmond!

I'll be willing to work the old way as well and I understand the charm of it (even if it's really limiting). 80€ difference for 1:1 endless project recall is really worth it for me (again, that's for my own personal workflow)

I don't really mind that the AS-1 only has a few control on the front panel as long as you can access everything under the hood (which you can apparently through menu diving and a VST control software)

I'm more interested in the differences sonic wise and capabilities wise. If the Bp-1 can do way more then I might go for it, even if I can't save presets.
TheTiP

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:28 pm

As above - you're describing a synth with presets, but...

I'd suggest that you may not want what you think you want.

A simple analogue synth, such as the Pro-One is a doddle to program. You can rustle up pretty much any patch you care to imagine within a minute or two, once you get your head around (very) basic analogue synthesis. This is the sheer beauty and joy of synths like this. Presets are tantamount to missing the point of them entirely. Just reach out for those knobs - it's instant!

By contrast, using a menu-diving parameter access system is a nightmare that we should have left back in the days of the DX7 and JX-8P! A Pro-One is not so complex that it needs parameter access.

But I do also understand that presets can be helpful too.

Personally I'd take the Pro-One over the Toraiz every time, but only you can truly decide. As to sound - my friend (who's opinion I trust - and has several Pro-5/10 T8 and Pro-Ones to his name) says the Behringer is spot on, so I think that aspect is covered.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby TheTiP » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:20 pm

Hey man, thanks a lot for your answer, I think I understand your points.

We're talking very simple synthesis indeed, so patches are super quick to re-program.
When I'm referring to presets and workflows I mean using those synths inside a DAW, to make actual full songs. Being able to save preset might no be as much as a plus as I thought if you can hear your bounced audio and quickly re-program the patch you made.

This is only one of the benefits of having an analog synth with a digital interface though.
From what I understood with the AS-1 and its digital interface I can draw automation for any parameters, even using external LFO. I can quickly edit a cutoff curve without having to re-bounce everything to audio, I can also automate 5 different parameters at the same while I only have 2 hands to do it in real-time.

Really happy to hear that the pro-one sounds spot on! I was also looking for hearing a Toraiz owner to see if it sounds awesome as well and to learn about its capabilities compared to a B pro-1.

I might also want a Model-d instead, but that's another subject
TheTiP

Postby BillB » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:50 pm

Novation Bass Station II
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/no ... -station-2

Knobby and programmable

Just sayin' :headbang:
BillB
Frequent Poster