You are here

Moog Subharmonicon

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Moog Subharmonicon

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat May 16, 2020 4:14 pm

The Elf wrote:I feel as if I'm just standing on the outside looking in. I don't get this machine, any more than I got the Mother-32...

They just don't seem 'musical' to me at all.

This obviously says more about me than the machines in question, because everyone else seems to be entranced by them - I'm clearly missing something, but I've no idea what! :headbang: :lol:

I don't think you're really missing anything in the big scheme of things, any more than I'm missing having a mellotron. It's all about the workflow and how you approach music making. After all, synths are effectively 'just' lovely tools and as such can be employed in different ways, many of which will apply more to some than others.

Much like a lot of Eurorack kit, the Subharmonicon is distinctly orientated towards a certain use case which is very at odds with a lot of 'conventional' music production workflows.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby Arpangel » Sun May 17, 2020 8:10 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:Much like a lot of Eurorack kit, the Subharmonicon is distinctly orientated towards a certain use case which is very at odds with a lot of 'conventional' music production workflows.

I’d add the Theremin to that statement.... :)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Durr GaGa » Sat May 30, 2020 9:07 pm

What a great thread and I wish I'd seen it earlier! I have been waiting patiently (signing the petition and so on!) hoping for this day to arrive but as it is anything but a general use synthesiser, the UK cost currently puts it outside my reach as discussed on page 2 of this thread:- https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=72258&start=15

My interest is still piqued though and as well as Gordon Reid's excellent SOS review, Loopop has done his usual in depth YouTube review but for me, the best 'sonic' review has been by Gaz Williams here:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3P5uG87Nsc&t=410s

I so much want to pull the trigger on one of these to go with my Mother 32 and DFAM but........ just too much! :cry:
Durr GaGa
Regular

Regards,

Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk

Postby Durr GaGa » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:30 pm

Well, I have to come clean and admit that the trigger has been pulled on a Subharmonicon - but not by me!! My lovely wife got so fed up with me moaning about the high price of the instrument that she just went ahead and bought me one for our 45th wedding anniversary. It took nearly a month to come back into stock but it only missed the great day by two days. :thumbup:

I am having such a great time experimenting with it :D

Durr GaGa
Regular

Regards,

Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:54 pm

Wow - you're a lucky guy Durr GaGa!

Hope you enjoy your Subharmonicon as much as you did your Wedding Anniversary!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Durr GaGa » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:27 pm

Wow - you're a lucky guy Durr GaGa!

Thanks, Martin - indeed I am :bouncy: I think I'm going to keep her on for a bit longer ...... :lol:
Durr GaGa
Regular

Regards,

Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:01 pm

That is a very elegant looking rack :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby Durr GaGa » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:49 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:That is a very elegant looking rack :thumbup:

Thanks - it is based around a Moog three tier stand with aluminium side strips added for the top two 60HP boxes. When I knew that the Subharmonicon was coming my way, I had a bit of a dilemma as I really wanted it to be part of the same rack but, although the current unit is actually extremely stable, I didn't want to go as high as an additional box. To avoid this, I built a small wooden plinth 45mm high for the existing rack to stand on so that the front of the bottom unit would be the same height as the rear of the new Subharmonicon. This makes it look and feel like a continuous console with only a minimal increase in overall height.
Durr GaGa
Regular

Regards,

Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:12 am

Durr GaGa wrote:Well, I have to come clean and admit that the trigger has been pulled on a Subharmonicon - but not by me!! My lovely wife got so fed up with me moaning about the high price of the instrument that she just went ahead and bought me one for our 45th wedding anniversary. It took nearly a month to come back into stock but it only missed the great day by two days. :thumbup:

I am having such a great time experimenting with it :D

God, that looks massive, like a proper synthesiser...

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Durr GaGa » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:26 pm

Arpangel wrote:
God, that looks massive, like a proper synthesiser...

:D

All I need now is to learn how to play it ......... :lol:
Durr GaGa
Regular

Regards,

Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk

Postby Ian Shaw » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:20 pm

Ooh! Jealous!
Been thinking of dipping my toe into the hardware pond for a while & the Moog Sub-thingy review has really got me thinking that might the place to start. Being brought up on synths with menus, presets & computer screens I'm kind of hankering after something that I can actually twiddle with.

I've rung round to get the best price on the 3 tier Moog setup with the DFAM & Mother. Either that or a Eurorack but I like the idea of the semi modular stating point & adding from there.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the Sub

Happy twiddling

Ian
Ian Shaw
Regular
Sent by carrier pigeon

Postby Durr GaGa » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:38 pm

Ian Shaw wrote:Ooh! Jealous!
Been thinking of dipping my toe into the hardware pond for a while & the Moog Sub-thingy review has really got me thinking that might the place to start. Being brought up on synths with menus, presets & computer screens I'm kind of hankering after something that I can actually twiddle with.

I've rung round to get the best price on the 3 tier Moog setup with the DFAM & Mother. Either that or a Eurorack but I like the idea of the semi modular stating point & adding from there.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the Sub

Happy twiddling

Ian

Hi Ian,

I'm hardly qualified to offer advice here but I started this wonderful journey with a Subsequent 37 with all its great presets and menus but I noted that several of the YouTube videos that I watched featuring the Subsequent 37 also had Mother 32s in the mix and I ended up buying one. That really got me excited about the whole analogue mono-synth concept and I just loved patching things into itself and into the modest Eurorack system that I added which started with an ADSR module and the 'Maths' module. To my embarrassment, I found myself turning to the modular setup rather than the excellent Subsequent 37 for my 'music fix' and soon added a DFAM.

I think the Subharmonicon is a very exciting instrument but also feel that one is likely to get the best out of it when paired with a Mother 32 and augmented with a DFAM so I can't help but comment that your current plan looks very good to me!

Good luck with the change in direction!
Durr GaGa
Regular

Regards,

Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk

Postby Ian Shaw » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:37 pm

I like the slightly left-field nature of the Sub & the DFAM & think that their limitations are probably a good thing. If I went down the Eurorack route I'm not sure where it will end (apart from a very empty wallet) as there is so much stuff out there to choose from.

I'm more into triggering sounds & fiddling whilst recording the output for further editing later than playing a keyboard of regular synth sounds, so these modules seem like a good balance between regular synthesis & and total weirdness.

No one seems to have any in stock atm anyway, so I may have to wait before I get a chance to try them out

Ian
Ian Shaw
Regular
Sent by carrier pigeon

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:26 am

I've got a Moog Grandmother as a potential controller for my modular, but I’m not sure about all this S Trig stuff, I’m torn between keeping my Moog away from my modular, or integrating it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:26 pm

DurrGaga, like that rack setup a lot. I don't regret going 104hp, but it takes up a lot of space!

The Subharmonicon is on my short list for next year, should I actually work enough to warrant a tax return from 2020! :cry:
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext