You are here

I’ve finally "got" the Hammond.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: I’ve finally "got" the Hammond.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:35 am

The Red Bladder wrote:A real Hammond with a Leslie is a thing of real beauty. And the key action is like nothing else ever built.

Yes, but I really don’t want another TVR, with keys on it this time.

:D

Studios with lots of vintage stuff, the conversation normally goes "wow! that’s amazing!" the owner replies "yes it is isn’t it, but I’m afraid that’s not working right now, it needs a service" but what about that OBXA over there? "yeah, it’s OK, but it’s got an intermittent problem"
Have you got anything that works properly?

:D :D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Trevor Johnson » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:20 am

The Hammond company decided to provide 25 note boards with the console organs simply because a survey of the classical organ repertoire revealed that the top notes were very rarely used, and it was a lot less expensive to build flat 25-note pedaboards

Hugh, thank you for the very interesting information.

Unfortunately, the times you need those extra pedal noted happen in some of the finest organ repetoire, e.g. the final movement of Widor's 5th Symphony, Toccata, and the F major Toccata and Fugue by Bach, when the second pedal solo hits top F.

I once played for a wedding on New Year's Day, in a very snowy Bolton, for an old flatmate from uni days. When I got there, I thought nice instrument, then saw that it was a 30 note pedalboard and they had requested the Widor as the exit voluntary! So I knocked the right foot pedal part down an ocatve, as necessary, and no-one appeared to notice.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:41 am

Trevor Johnson wrote:
The Hammond company decided to provide 25 note boards with the console organs simply because a survey of the classical organ repertoire revealed that the top notes were very rarely used, and it was a lot less expensive to build flat 25-note pedaboards

Hugh, thank you for the very interesting information.

Unfortunately, the times you need those extra pedal noted happen in some of the finest organ repetoire, e.g. the final movement of Widor's 5th Symphony, Toccata, and the F major Toccata and Fugue by Bach, when the second pedal solo hits top F.

I once played for a wedding on New Year's Day, in a very snowy Bolton, for an old flatmate from uni days. When I got there, I thought nice instrument, then saw that it was a 30 note pedalboard and they had requested the Widor as the exit voluntary! So I knocked the right foot pedal part down an ocatve, as necessary, and no-one appeared to notice.

I wouldn’t attempt classical organ on a Hammond, unless I happened to be in a Prog band at the time.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Trevor Johnson » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:04 am

I wouldn’t attempt classical organ on a Hammond, unless I happened to be in a Prog band at the time.

The RT3 is probably the best Hammond for classical organ music. On the other hand, I have also played Bach on a Wurlitzer pipe instrument, complete with bells, steam whistles, etc.!

I remember Germani saying that he was once giving a recital in the States, on an unfamiliar instrument, but pressed the wrong tab, whence the console slowly disappeared beneath the stage. Naturally, he continued playing...........
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:17 am

Arpangel wrote:I wouldn’t attempt classical organ on a Hammond...

It's what it was originally designed for and, actually, given a little finesse in voicing and a decent acoustic it can sound quite reasonable. And the keyboard action is fine for the purpose, although the standard 25-note pedalboard feels odd if you're used to AGO boards.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Red Bladder » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:22 am

Arpangel wrote:
The Red Bladder wrote:A real Hammond with a Leslie is a thing of real beauty. And the key action is like nothing else ever built.
Yes, but I really don’t want another TVR, with keys on it this time.
Studios with lots of vintage stuff, the conversation normally goes "wow! that’s amazing!" the owner replies "yes it is isn’t it, but I’m afraid that’s not working right now, it needs a service" but what about that OBXA over there? "yeah, it’s OK, but it’s got an intermittent problem"
Have you got anything that works properly?
:D :D
There is always something on the blink here at Bladder Towers. If the Hammond ain't buzzing like crazy, then the MS20 has something wrong and if they are both OK then the tape is sticking on the 2" or the Wurly is feeling poorly or the BIOS battery on some synth is empty and replacing it takes forever to open the bloody thing up. They're all bloody TVRs!

And it ain't just the old stuff either - I bought a large PC for video editing from Scan and looked at the damn thing for a week, wondering how the hell to switch it on. There is was with its three cooling fans, 16 harddisk bays and 8TB main drive just looking at me and not doing a damn thing.

I gave up and called their tech desk - it turned out that the on-switch is a nipple on the front that is about the size of the clitoris on a water-vole.

Since then it has worked flawlessly. Some things here just work and stay working and when I discover those brands that achieve that degree of reliability, I stick with them. Unfortunately, Bosch, Panasonic and Scan don't make everything.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wurlitzer » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:05 am

... and they certainly don't make Hammonds.
Wurlitzer
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:24 am

Perhaps this is why water voles are in peril in the UK according to an internet search.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:43 am

The Red Bladder wrote:Unfortunately, Bosch, Panasonic and Scan don't make everything.

I would replace those with Siemens, Sony, and KMR.

I’d like a real Hammond, but my partner is racing me to fill this place up with "stuff" so I’ve got to be quick...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x_QkGPCL18
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby OyvindL » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:17 am

The Ik Multimedia B3-X is great and takes up «virtually » no space.
For Mac,PC or iPad.
OyvindL

Postby The Red Bladder » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:50 pm

Arpangel wrote:I’d like a real Hammond, but my partner is racing me to fill this place up with "stuff" so I’ve got to be quick...
I'm waaay ahead on stuff - M has been raising eyebrows but I am rapidly filling the place up with film stuff. Lights, cameras, jibs, dollies - all good stuff! Expensive too. Cine lenses make microphones look like pocket-money!

And then comes the serious stuff - stuff to build scenery! Now that's big stuff! Sheets of hardboard and plasterboard and batons and - well, you know, stuff like that!

And then there's all that obscure stuff that one needs for that kind of stuff like old-fashioned lightbulbs and lampshades and lighting controllers so that I can dim all that stuff. Our first project was to be a romp through the 1980s music scene so I now have enough vintage studio stuff to build a bloody second studio from the 80s - 24:24:16 in-line and off-line desk, 24-trk 2" machine and all the other stuff to make it real!

After this project, we've got a some heavy stuff happening - we are going to build a house and burn it down - and in Gaelic and German! Now that's what I call some seriously fun stuff!

I'm just waiting for all this C19 stuff to go away!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Folderol » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:20 pm

Sounds like you're well stuffed :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby The Red Bladder » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:06 pm

Ha! I forgot to mention all the special FX stuff. Boxes of things that go bang!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous