You are here

NoteWang! MIDI Note Randomiser

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

NoteWang! MIDI Note Randomiser

Postby midierror » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:43 am

Are you tired of being in the frustrating position of knowing the MIDI notes you're playing? You need NOTEWANG!

https://gumroad.com/l/notewang

Press the NoteWang button to change all your incoming MIDI notes to brand new values. Who knows what you could be playing...?! Who cares..... Thats NoteWang!

The notes will stay the same for each key until you press NoteWang again. It actaully works really well with things like scale, and will totally change the sound of a note sequence.

midierror
midierror
Regular

Re: NoteWang! MIDI Note Randomiser

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:23 pm

I feel like there is an inside joke I am missing but love the concept and the name.
I am getting too old for forearm on the keyboard or too lazy to mess up my own melodies so all help is appreciated.
At this price it’s a steal!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:03 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I feel like there is an inside joke I am missing but love the concept and the name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJDu5D_IXbc :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby The Elf » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:48 pm

I have my own built-in NoteWang - I never know what note my finger is going to hit! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:06 pm

Messing about on the Polyend Tracker I've discovered that the 'fill' feature is rather good at coming up with interesting (and musical) ideas, especially bass riffs.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby BJG145 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:53 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Messing about on the Polyend Tracker

Yes so when are we going to see the results of your weekend's tinkering...? :?: :?: ;)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:37 am

BJG145 wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:Messing about on the Polyend Tracker

Yes so when are we going to see the results of your weekend's tinkering...? :?: :?: ;)

I spent more time learning how to use it and having fun with it than actually putting anything together but I did end up with a nice set of samples and an idea or three starting to take shape. This week has turned out to be something of a challenge in general schedule-wise but I'll post something as soon as I get a little time to progress them further :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.

Postby midierror » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:28 pm

Of course it s abit silly, but I've made a video to show what actually happens when you use it.

There may actually be some instances where its.............useful?

https://youtu.be/JN7cVv6Xkbw

midierror
midierror
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:36 pm

midierror wrote:Of course it s abit silly, but I've made a video to show what actually happens when you use it.

There may actually be some instances where its.............useful?

https://youtu.be/JN7cVv6Xkbw

midierror

Hi midierror!

I enjoyed that, but did wonder if being able to restrict the NoteWang! range to a specified range of MIDI notes (but leaving the remainder untouched) might generate more 'useful' results, as the randomness would be confined by your choices.

You could do this easily by adding two MIDI note parameters LowWang!: 0-127 and HighWang!: 0-127

This would still scramble all the notes within your specified range, but with less extreme shifts, hopefully providing more opportunities for 'useful serendipity' :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby midierror » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:01 am

Hi Martin,
Thats a really good idea. I've thought of a few interesting additions, this is a really good shout.

I've got a couple of other more sensible M4L things on the way but if enough people want notewang, I'll refine it.

Happy to send you a copy when I do, DM me!

Chris
midierror
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:38 am

midierror wrote:Are you tired of being in the frustrating position of knowing the MIDI notes you're playing? You need NOTEWANG!

As this is an Ableton Live thing I'm hedging a guess that you implemented it in Max?

I used to use Max a lot, it's a fantastic playground. I'm not an Ableton user so I don't know if the integration extends to being able to process pre-recorded MIDI data streamed to it from Ableton.

If you did use Max, and if it does, then I have a couple of ideas that might be food for thought. Let me know if that applies, and if you'd like to hear them.

Either way, I very much like the concept!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:29 pm

I like it too. Sometimes you just need to mess stuff up when you’re stuck for an idea or all the ideas are too much like you yet again.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)