You are here

Old Blood Noise pedals with keyboards.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Old Blood Noise pedals with keyboards.

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:47 am

These are strange things, and I’m still not 100% sure I'm sold on them.
I waver, sometimes I struggle to get anything decent out of mine, and want to sell them, then if I stumble over the right source sound they can sound really magical.
One major thing that is really, almost a deal breaker, is the lack of stereo I/O, if you’re a guitarist maybe this isn’t too much of an issue, but for me as a keyboard player it is, it also limits the market for these pedals, OBNE take note.
I have a Minim, and a Rever, they definitely give me something that I know I couldn’t get with anything else, they are great for warming up digital stuff and making it sound very mysterious, that’s the reason they are still here, but as I said, I’m still not convinced, sometimes I think they are a piece of crap dressed up in a trendy box, but sometimes they just sound like nothing else, sometimes gear can be like this, it’s almost a gem, but somehow always seems to remain a flawed diamond.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Old Blood Noise pedals with keyboards.

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:18 pm

You really do vacillate between product love and despair don't you Tony ;)

Anyway, thanks for introducing me to Old Blood Noise Endeavour products - I'd never heard of them. Apparently, "From their low-key origins working out of an Oklahoma garage, founders Seth McCarroll and Brady Smith have since turned the company into a constantly innovating pedal proposition."

They do look like a fascinating collection, and I love the semi-abstract graphics - here's a link to Andertons in the UK for anyone else who wants to find out more:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/old- ... pageSize:&

Here's your Minim:

...and I'd be fascinated to hear it in action (I will see see if there are any audio clips I can listen to on-line).

Arpangel wrote:One major thing that is really, almost a deal breaker, is the lack of stereo I/O, if you’re a guitarist maybe this isn’t too much of an issue, but for me as a keyboard player it is, it also limits the market for these pedals, OBNE take note.

I have to say that adding stereo I/O would probably double the cost, putting it out of reach of most guitarists, so I doubt that this will happen (this is the main reason I don't personally indulge on stomp boxes for my keyboards, especially when there are excellent stereo plug-in versions of stomp boxes available at knock-down prices. For instance, last week I bought this collection of five software stereo stomp boxes from Fuse Audio Labs for just £16.50, and they sound wonderfully versatile:

https://www.gearnews.com/fuse-audio-lab ... -your-daw/

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:13 pm

Martin Walker wrote:You really do vacillate between product love and despair don't you Tony ;)

Martin

That’s me Martin, I’m working on another album that will be finished soon, it’ll have lots of these pedals on it, all I can say is it’s a borderline situation, they are quite extreme in their sound, but when it works, it works. The Minim has one MAJOR drawback, it's got fixed modulation on the delay, and it’s way to deep, that’s my only reason for selling it sometimes.
I’m never going to be inspired by computers, it’s a fait accompli, hardware always makes me want to play, and do things.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:24 pm

Arpangel wrote:I’m never going to be inspired by computers, it’s a fait accompli, hardware always makes me want to play, and do things.
It's never about the computer - it's the magic you work inside of it.

I have oodles of hardware too (pedals included), but to arbitrarily choose one over the other is to paint all your white roses red. There's plenty of room for both in anyone's world.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:31 pm

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I’m never going to be inspired by computers, it’s a fait accompli, hardware always makes me want to play, and do things.
It's never about the computer - it's the magic you work inside of it.

I have oodles of hardware too, but to arbitrarily choose one over the other is paint all your white roses red. There's plenty of room for both in anyone's world.

Elf, I’ve said many times, I use computers all the time, but I "prefer" hardware.
Also, no matter how much magic is inside, it’s just not my cup of tea, I use my computer for recording, and editing, and that’s that, it’s a lot less hassle than tape, that’s for sure, and my other favourite thing is moving stuff around.
I’m almost dyslexic when it comes to numbers and maths, I can’t do it at all, and when I look at a page full of numbers my brain just freezes, and panics, it’s the same with computers, so I have as little to do with them as possible, apart from mails, basic music, and this forum!

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:42 pm

You should definitely sell that pedal, get it gone right away.
I would do you the great favour of removing it from your musical world so you no longer have to worry about it’s oppressiveness upon your psyche.
Lack of stereo? Don’t worry, the masochist in me can sort it out!

:D :D :D
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:45 am

ManFromGlass wrote:You should definitely sell that pedal, get it gone right away.
I would do you the great favour of removing it from your musical world so you no longer have to worry about it’s oppressiveness upon your psyche.
Lack of stereo? Don’t worry, the masochist in me can sort it out!

:D :D :D

Thanks, your job is complete :D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:51 pm

A quick left turn -
I have the Tensor pedal. My current fave. I’m still working it out with the company who are very responsive, but it appears that the chip inside is pooched somehow. I’ll probably have to send it back.
This digital stuff - so many cool possibilities and yet - it bloody crashed or went tits up. I’ve never had an analogue pedal do that. I can’t quite wrap my head around the fact that a guitar pedal can die. They should last forever, shouldn’t they, barring running too much current through it etc by mistake?
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:44 pm

Any hardware can die. Components age and degrade and *will* eventually give up - it's a matter of 'when', not 'if'.

By contrast software is forever - until the hardware it runs/is stored on dies, of course! :lol: ;)

I have a large collection of both analogue and digital pedals. They all have their good and bad points. I use my hardware pedals a lot less since I got a Helix pedal and plug-in - same sounds (close enough for me and my audience), but much less hassle. Stereo too.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:14 am

ManFromGlass wrote:A quick left turn -
I have the Tensor pedal. My current fave. I’m still working it out with the company who are very responsive, but it appears that the chip inside is pooched somehow. I’ll probably have to send it back.
This digital stuff - so many cool possibilities and yet - it bloody crashed or went tits up. I’ve never had an analogue pedal do that. I can’t quite wrap my head around the fact that a guitar pedal can die. They should last forever, shouldn’t they, barring running too much current through it etc by mistake?

We like left turns, yes, that’s an interesting pedal, but the pedal market can be a bit like music at the moment, very little innovation, with much regurgitation.
I like using pedals, the main reason and the most important one more than makes up for any downsides, they are simple to use, everything is there right in front of you, on knobs,.
But, they can take up a lot of space, lots of power leads, lots of cables.
I have a core selection of pedals, ones that are unique, and they do one particular thing, well. Others I have I’m not so sure, I could probably get rid of these and not really notice they’ve gone, the Minim and Rever are in that group at the moment, but time will tell.
I’m really a rack guy when it comes to effects, I like displays, and input meters, line levels, but pedals offer cheap solutions, budget rack units don’t abound anymore, like they used to, and pedals seem to have taken their place in that respect, like, £300 is expensive for a pedal, most are much cheaper.
I have a Boss DD7 that gives me all I need for Fripp style delays, my EHX 16 Second is un-replaceable as a thick delay/chorus, the Zoom CDR70 is totally beyond, one of the best pedals ever IMO, a desert island special, it takes the phrase "value for money" and elevates it to a whole new level. My Shallow Water pedal is truly the best of its type, and that’s it for my must have, everything else is living on borrowed time, we shall see.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:41 am

That Zoom MS-70CDR is, indeed, a bargain IMHO.

If you're happy with digital pedals then I'd also say to look out for the Digitech RP50 for pocket money, or the more substantial RP500/1000 for 'meal out for four' prices - superb for keyboards.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:03 am

The Elf wrote:That Zoom MS-70CDR is, indeed, a bargain IMHO.

If you're happy with digital pedals then I'd also say to look out for the Digitech RP50 for pocket money, or the more substantial RP500/1000 for 'meal out for four' prices - superb for keyboards.

Yes, Zoom have always been really good, the RFX series were great, it’s all good stuff, cheap too.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:30 pm

Oooh. I’ve never explored Zoom pedals.
Could be trouble ahead!
:thumbup:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:31 am

ManFromGlass wrote:Oooh. I’ve never explored Zoom pedals.
Could be trouble ahead!
:thumbup:

If you’re lucky enough to find a Zoom 9030 that’ll do it, the RFX1100 has some truly mind blowing modulations, and the latest Multi-Stomp series are just as mind blowing, for silly money.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:31 pm

Yes - silly money. I’ll have to audition some somehow. But they seem more for gigging folks, so more “traditional” patches, where I’m looking more for extremes and things I don’t have. But then there maybe be one or two patches that just totally inspire.
and they are stereo - bonus!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next