You are here

My rack, is full.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

My rack, is full.

Postby Arpangel » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:27 am

The final incarnation...

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1015413

It may look a bit biased to full on noise, and it is, but after teaming it up with my Moog Grandmother I’ve been able to cut down on utility space, I never use the modular capability on the GM, so it’s fine.
This little system will enable me to do what I miss from my earlier modular, without being overwhelmed by tons of distraction options that I never used.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: My rack, is full.

Postby miN2 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:16 am

Posh! :thumbup:

Also the perfect opportunity to justify the need for a new rack and more toys... :lol:
miN2
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:35 am

miN2 wrote:Posh! :thumbup:

Also the perfect opportunity to justify the need for a new rack and more toys... :lol:

:)

No, that’s the reason I bought a small rack, to stop me from doing that!
I think time will tell, I’ll play with this for a few months, lots of potential, and if there are any glaring needs, or obvious upgrades that’ll enable me to do "a lot more" then I’ll leave it alone.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:49 am

I haven't a clue what any of that does, but it looks great! And if it makes you happy... :thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby N i g e l » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:34 am

Why no VCA ? or is that what the Moog is for ?
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:09 am

The Elf wrote:I haven't a clue what any of that does, but it looks great! And if it makes you happy... :thumbup:

It does what I need, and only what I need, the two main components are chaotic noise generators when connected to random voltage sources, like the sample and hold, and noise/random, which in turn are modulated by channels one and four of Maths in cycle mode to act as a very slow LFO, I can use the attenuators in the Grandmother to vary CV's, and the VCA to fade elements in and out.

:thumbup:

N i g e l wrote:Why no VCA ? or is that what the Moog is for ?

You spotted it! Yes, I’m going to see how it goes, I can use Maths as a rudimentary dual VCA,
and the Grandmother if necessary, but I don’t want to use up too much on the Moog.
I’ve never been a fan of VCA's, I know that goes against the grain, but I rarely use them, I’ve always been happy with the results I get without them.
Some manufacturers deliberately avoid obvious use too, like Buchla, and Make Noise.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:54 am

Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:I haven't a clue what any of that does, but it looks great! And if it makes you happy... :thumbup:
It does what I need, and only what I need, the two main components are chaotic noise generators when connected to random voltage sources, like the sample and hold, and noise/random, which in turn are modulated by channels one and four of Maths in cycle mode to act as a very slow LFO, I can use the attenuators in the Grandmother to vary CV's, and the VCA to fade elements in and out.
Ah, I get it. This is for Steps covers, isn't it? ;) :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:30 pm

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
Ah, I get it. This is for Steps covers, isn't it? ;) :lol:

You are so perceptive Elf, and I wondered how you knew? of course, what with my new found interest in drumming, I may even join a "beat combo"! Our main thrust will be Morton Subotnic covers.
If I do decide to expand, here’s the Banana Box MK11...

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1356249

:D :D :D :D :D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:34 pm

Looks good! Dual s&h but only one LFO?
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:09 pm

Welcome to my world! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby N i g e l » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:03 pm

Arpangel wrote:...... what I need, the two main components are chaotic noise generators when connected to random voltage sources,.......

please do tell me more. Id like to pick your brain on randomness applied to oscillators...
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:34 am

Ben Asaro wrote:Looks good! Dual s&h but only one LFO?

There’s another two LFO's in Maths Ben! :thumbup:
Plus, using the Swash Out on the Noise Swash produces some great waveforms for the S&H! Plus, the Noise Random.

N i g e l wrote:
Arpangel wrote:...... what I need, the two main components are chaotic noise generators when connected to random voltage sources,.......

please do tell me more. Id like to pick your brain on randomness applied to oscillators...

This is an endless subject, the best advice I’d give to anyone is just experiment, and you have to abandon any notions you have of the "correct" way to patch things, see above comments.
It’s impossible to give any direct advice, I put random CV's through filters, audio delays, and ring modulators, among many things, before they end up at their destinations, experiment with feedback, in fact, just experiment!
The two main noise sources in my box are the Noise Swash and Jupiter Storm, these are "off-the-shelf" noise/chaos generators, a sort of ready made short-cut that combines multiple "simple" modules in one circuit, they aren’t anything mysterious or magical, they’re just made for lazy people like me, or folks with small cases! you can get similar results using separate modules.
The Jupiter Storm has a "Noise Core Disrupter" at its heart, it produces a particular type of noise, the Noise Swash is like circuit feedback noise, with lots of variations.
If you ad external random CV's to these things that's when it gets really, really interesting.
I use all this to add background beds to very traditional electric piano pieces or synth pieces, just to add a touch of bitter/sweet.
This whole thing is very strange, each system has its own character, but honestly, I’ve achieved similar results to my modular using Just a Novation A-Station, what a beautiful synthesiser that is, timeless, and priceless.
Depends which route you want to take, but a lot lead to the same place, you can either swim, bike, or take a plane!
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:57 am

Cheers! :thumbup:

I must check out some of these modules on UTube and see what they get up to
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:27 am

N i g e l wrote:Cheers! :thumbup:

I must check out some of these modules on UTube and see what they get up to

Yes, it’s easy to get "pseudo random" results, very easy, the aim for me is to get truly random sounds, which is more difficult. You have to inject slowly changing random events into your patch, you'll need really slow LFO's, to trigger random modules, like the Doepfer A118-2 or Make Noise Wogglebug, also worth investigating is the Turing Machine, made in a few guises, I got good really random results with that.
Once you’ve got your random CV's sorted out, you can put them through many VCA's controlled by random sources, this all ads up to unpredictable melodies and lines from your sound sources, add some feedback loops and your into generative territory, there’s lots been written about the "Krell Patch" by Todd Barton, check him out.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:54 am

Arpangel wrote:there’s lots been written about the "Krell Patch" by Todd Barton, check him out.

Awesome patch. I would never have known it was automatic if I hadnt seen it.
Its a whole different world of synthesis, names and graphics too.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Next