You are here

RIP Chris Huggett

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: RIP Chris Huggett

Postby desmond » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:15 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:The trouble is, I can't for the life of me remember the AP's name, although I can still imagine her face. Nurse... is it time for my pills?

His wife's name is Melanie, but whether that is the same person you mention I don't know...

In a strange quirk of timing, I have another OSCar review going up on the site shortly (I was actually proofing it when SonicState was streaming Dave's tribute.)

Sad loss.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:19 pm

desmond wrote:His wife's name is Melanie, but whether that is the same person you mention I don't know...

No Melanie came along 6 or 7 years later I believe.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby pilot-wave » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:55 pm

Just this minute got the sad news... a real jolt.

Bought the Wasp and Spider and then went on to buy an OSCar in the mid 80s which impressed me so much I wrote a letter of appreciation to Chris Huggett. To my surprise, as a complete nobody, I got a quite lengthy hand written letter back from him which I'll always treasure.

The modest tones of contentment, as a designer, in that letter are very much in keeping with the warm tribute in the news section on this site.

Coincidentally, out of curiosity for Novation's current line, I've just received a Circuit Mono Station from a poster on this forum and now seriously investigating the Summit as a next major purchase knowing that Chris Huggett had a hand in the development of these instruments.

RIP.
pilot-wave
Regular

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:50 pm

I have to say that being as useless as I am with names, the name didn't mean that much until his legacy was mentioned. Just wow - what an amazing list of classics! A sad loss.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:55 pm

I liked the anecdote that for the later revisions of the OSCar firmware, there was apparently no space left in the memory for the code to generate the "random" waveform, so instead, Chris made the waveform memory read 256 bytes from the actual firmware - the OS code - on the chip to use as the waveform data - and he must have swept through the code to find a bit that sounded good - and that became the last waveform (renamed "Gritty" in impOSCar).

More over on the GF blog:
https://www.gforcesoftware.com/blog/chr ... 1949-2020/
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Previous