You are here

Moog Claravox

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moog Claravox

Postby BJG145 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:07 am

I thought this thing deserved its own post, for those not following the Behringer thread.

To celebrate the theremin's 100th anniversay, Moog have created the Claravox Centennial, named after famous virtuoso Clara Rockmore.

Image

https://www.moogmusic.com/news/introduc ... centennial

This is quite a big deal for thereminists. The current Moog Etherwave is a respectable instrument, but there have been no "professional" models available for ages. The Claravox uses the same wave-shaping circuit as the rare and discontinued Moog Etherwave Pro, which had a similar design.

Image

Grégoire Blanc, who played the exquisite version of Clair de Lune for Moog's demo video, says it's "really, really close".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVue-QsxuzA

Now available for pre-order at around £1500.
User avatar
BJG145
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4701
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:00 am

Re: Moog Claravox

Postby Arpangel » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:43 am

I’m going to feel really bad if I don’t get a Theremin for my partner, she’s been wanting one for ages now, and it would be good to get her one as a surprise Christmas present, trouble is, she’s not experienced, and I’m wondering if a cheaper one would fit the bill, but it’s almost worth paying the extra to see the look on her face if she got something like the Clara.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5894
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Moog Claravox

Postby resistorman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:12 pm

Arpangel wrote:I’m going to feel really bad if I don’t get a Theremin for my partner, she’s been wanting one for ages now, and it would be good to get her one as a surprise Christmas present, trouble is, she’s not experienced, and I’m wondering if a cheaper one would fit the bill, but it’s almost worth paying the extra to see the look on her face if she got something like the Clara.

I’ve had a play with the Theremini and found it approachable with the note quantization on but very daunting with it turned off. I know it’s not a “real” theremin but it might work to see if she takes to it.
User avatar
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1141
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:00 am
Location: Asheville NC

Re: Moog Claravox

Postby BJG145 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:36 pm

resistorman wrote:I’ve had a play with the Theremini and found it approachable with the note quantization on

Well, I was surprised to see that the Claravox also has Behremin-style quantisation available; Grégoire wasn't impressed ("c’est injouable"), and neither am I.

Would you expect to master a cello, or a French horn, in five minutes...?

(This was the original SOS Newsflash...look forward to the full review.)
User avatar
BJG145
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4701
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:00 am

Re: Moog Claravox

Postby resistorman » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:11 am

BJG145 wrote:
resistorman wrote:I’ve had a play with the Theremini and found it approachable with the note quantization on

Well, I was surprised to see that the Claravox also has Behremin-style quantisation available; Grégoire wasn't impressed ("c’est injouable"), and neither am I.

Would you expect to master a cello, or a French horn, in five minutes...?

(This was the original SOS Newsflash...look forward to the full review.)

The quantization is adjustable between full on to off. I had a flute teacher that thought only an open hole flute was legitimate, so I bought one. It was so difficult I abandoned it, though she neglected to tell me I could have done a simple modification to close them while I learned other crucial techniques. Not everyone knows if they're willing to devote large amounts of time to mastering an instrument. But if there are training wheels to show you what is possible, you might decide to develop your skills instead of selling the flute.

Adjusted your quotes for you - MW
User avatar
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1141
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:00 am
Location: Asheville NC

Re: Moog Claravox

Postby Arpangel » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:46 am

resistorman wrote:I’ve had a play with the Theremini and found it approachable with the note quantization on but very daunting with it turned off. I know it’s not a “real” theremin but it might work to see if she takes to it.

I don’t think quantisation would be necessary for her, as she just likes making abstract noises, but then again, I may get moaned at for not getting one that has it.

:roll:
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5894
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am