You are here

ASM Hydrasynth - what's happened?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: ASM Hydrasynth - what's happened?

Postby N i g e l » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:08 pm

As a generalisim [not tried it out]

"local" disconnects the keyboard from the synth engine so ....it depends.
If you want to use the exquisite Hydrasynth interface to control external sounds whilst the DAW plays the Hydrasynth engine then you need the volume up.

[edit]

and what BJG145 said as well :)
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:13 pm

Folderol wrote:This may be a really really silly question, but can't you just wind the volume down to zero?
Well there are ways around it, of course, though turning it down isn't one of them - it may be playing a part! The simplest way is to go switch off Local each time I power up! :lol:

But it's just annoying that it doesn't stay off when I switch it off - even when I save the system settings.

I find it just a bit more concerning when manufacturers go radio silent.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby BJG145 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:23 pm

There is a workaround, but, it's not ideal.

BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:30 pm

:thumbup: I like your thinking. Can it play the A Major scale runs I fluff every time, too? :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:02 am

N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:22 am

The Elf wrote:
Folderol wrote:This may be a really really silly question, but can't you just wind the volume down to zero?
Well there are ways around it, of course, though turning it down isn't one of them - it may be playing a part! The simplest way is to go switch off Local each time I power up! :lol:

But it's just annoying that it doesn't stay off when I switch it off - even when I save the system settings.

I find it just a bit more concerning when manufacturers go radio silent.

I’m sorry you haven’t got this sorted Elf, I’ve been in similar situations where forum posts have had a lot of attention about my particular problem, and in those cases I’m left wondering why on earth these posts have escaped a manufactures attention?
After all, they should be alert to these things, and at least reassure those concerned to stop any potentially bad vibes.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:10 pm

The Elf wrote:Well it's the only problem I have with it, and it's fairly minor in the scheme of things. No bugs found here. I'm very happy with it!

I’m guessing you don’t use the MPE side of things then :)

I have a downer on it as I got it for it’s MPE capabilities and unfortunately the MPE bugs don’t get fixed.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:04 pm

BobTheDog wrote:
The Elf wrote:Well it's the only problem I have with it, and it's fairly minor in the scheme of things. No bugs found here. I'm very happy with it!
I use my Roli for MPE. I've used the Hydra's poly AT with a few different poly AT-receiver synths with no problem. What problems are you referring to that I can try to recreate?
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:44 pm

I've also used poly-AT on mine a lot without issues and am also curious as to the bugs alluded to!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby BJG145 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:48 pm

Just did a bit of Googling on this out of curiosity and came across a video which demonstrates some illogical choices in the implementation of mono patches when played by an MPE controller. (A Linnstrument here.)

https://youtu.be/XrhZ-G1lQtY

You could say that some of these are minor, or that it's a choice rather than a bug (eg playing and releasing a duplicate note cancels the note), but these kinds of quirks can be quite annoying in performance (and some of them are clearly wrong).
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:24 pm

At least one of those 'bugs' looks like what happens when you single-channelise poly AT (the bend leaving a note at the wrong pitch).

I've just tried running my Roli into my Hydrasynth in MPE mode and it's working fine for me. I can't do the 'repeating same note' test, as my Roli doesn't support that, but I'm not getting any of those other problems. Bending pitch with two notes held on a mono patch doesn't de-tune the first note held, slide bending works as expected, mono note chain releases return to the correct note...

All seems fine to me! :headbang: :D :beamup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:42 pm

The Elf wrote:
BobTheDog wrote:
I use my Roli for MPE. I've used the Hydra's poly AT with a few different poly AT-receiver synths with no problem. What problems are you referring to that I can try to recreate?

There is an explanation here with video: https://github.com/IOSAudio/HydrasynthMonoMPE
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:18 pm

The Elf wrote:At least one of those 'bugs' looks like what happens when you single-channelise poly AT (the bend leaving a note at the wrong pitch).

I've just tried running my Roli into my Hydrasynth in MPE mode and it's working fine for me. I can't do the 'repeating same note' test, as my Roli doesn't support that, but I'm not getting any of those other problems. Bending pitch with two notes held on a mono patch doesn't de-tune the first note held, slide bending works as expected, mono note chain releases return to the correct note...

All seems fine to me! :headbang: :D :beamup:

Sorry after posting the previous link I read your post.

So I just tried with my Roli the same problems are there, so it would be really good for me to find out how yours is working.

Can you init a patch on the hydrasynth, then go to voice and select mono.

Now with the roli in mpe mode slide two notes, on yours only the last played is effecting the pitchbend not both of them?
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:37 am

Hi Mr Elf,

I just did some further testing with the Roli and can replicate all bugs, including the playing the same note twice which the Roli does support.

The first note changing when the second note is slid and then release is slightly hidden by the fact that the Roli do not do the "intelligent" quantising the Linnstrument does and is firing of PB messages for the original note unless you hold your finger very still. This makes the two notes PB values fighting each other bug much more noticeable though.

I would be very interested why you do not see these bugs, I have a Desktop do you have the keyboard?

Maybe I could set up a midi file latter that shows the bugs and you could fire it off to your HS to double check if you have some time?

Thanks

Andy
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:07 pm

BobTheDog wrote:Can you init a patch on the hydrasynth, then go to voice and select mono.

Now with the roli in mpe mode slide two notes, on yours only the last played is effecting the pitchbend not both of them?
I play two notes (only one sounds, obviously). Whichever I bend, when I let go the pitch returns to the correct pitch of the still-held note. That seems as it should be to me.

If you mean that pitchbending both held notes starts a fight between them - yes, but it's in mono, so I would expect that too - you're sending two lots of bend data for a monosynth. Again, I'm fine with this.

I have the Hydrasynth keyboard.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext