You are here

Roland PC-200 MkII

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Roland PC-200 MkII

Postby mary ann » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:36 pm

I'm pretty sure I've got all the bits connecting correctly, but I don't have a driver for making my old PC200 MkII work with Windows 10.Roland website don't even mention the PC200. Does such a driver exist or shall I just throw the keyboard away? aargh! (I'm very much a trial-and-error-don't-know-what-I'm-doing-really newbie oldie).
mary ann

Re: Roland PC-200 MkII

Postby Logarhythm » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:57 pm

What bits are you using to try to connect it?
It looks like it pre-dates USB on such things, so you're presumably connecting via a MIDI interface?
Not sure the keyboard itself would need its own driver for this type of setup.
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby mary ann » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:32 am

Thanks for replying!
I don't know the name for it but I have a cord with 2, 5-prong plugs( "In"and "Out") at one end, a usb connection at the other, and a centre bit "usb midi" that has 3 lights.
I don't know which plug, In or Out, goes in keyboard, but the blue light flashes with the In! No sound when either plug used.
( I have Audacity and can play midi files and record my acoustic piano)
mary ann

Postby Logarhythm » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:18 am

Ok, so that cable has a MIDI interface built into it - it links the 5-pin DIN plugs to usb for you.
A flashing light probably suggests data is being sent, so that's a good sign. I'd guess the plug marked "in" is the one to plug into the Roland.
I don't know Audacity at all, but this link suggests that while it can play MIDI files, it doesn't do MIDI recording/control: https://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Midi#:~:text=Audacity%20cannot%20record%20MIDI%20input,then%20recognize%20as%20keyboard%20shortcuts.
It is therefore possible that the keyboard is working, but the problem is that your current software doesn't really do MIDI.
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons