You are here

Home studio treatment

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Home studio treatment

Postby DanielBeach » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:00 pm

Hi All,

A bit of advice if anybody can? I know it's difficult without "hearing" a room, but it's not possible for obvious reasons to get an expert round at the moment!

This is my "studio" - the spare bedroom, as is so common.

I can't remove the bed or wardrobe, for various reasons. That means I'm not working lengthways, and obviously it's a small room with lots of reflective surfaces.

It's 10 feet window to wall, and 7.5 feet wall to wall.

Do people think it's worth putting any acoustic treatment in here, and if so, where would you put it? Behind and between the speakers? On the side of the wardrobe? Opposite the speakers?

Any advice greatly received.

Also, I do have a bass problem with some note, but not sure there's anything I can do in this small space.

Many thanks,

Daniel

Pics on the links below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bJJ_65 ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kuOgMT ... sp=sharing
DanielBeach
Regular

Re: Home studio treatment

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:07 pm

You're not going to be able to do anything about the bass end without serious bass trapping, and you just don't have the space. So use headphones for checking the low end and put up with the boomy or missing notes on the speakers.

You could probably improve the mid and high frequency regions a bit, but you're hampered by the non symmetrical layout. Normal advice is to treat the mirror points first, but the left mirror point is the window. You could try propping a foam panel in the window rebate when you're working, and hang another panel on the side of the wardrobe.

After that, absorbers on the front wall behind the speakers, and/or on the back wall might help with the stereo imaging and general room-deadening...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:17 pm

I occasionally record vocals in the bedroom, and simply opening the wardrobe door makes an enormous difference in deadening the room.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby DanielBeach » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:25 pm

Thanks both.

I wouldn't be recording in here (I have a slightly better room for that downstairs and can also record at work when needs be, for the best quality vocals and instrumentals (fully treated rooms etc.)

This is mainly for mixing purposes. And there's me, Hugh, hoping that the strange room layout may have helped, not hindered :-)

I'm slightly confused about the window....from where I sit the speakers both point to the wall "behind" me.

Daniel
DanielBeach
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:33 pm

The 'mirror points' are the walls/ceiling/floor where, if there was a mirror hung, you would see your monitors reflected.
So there'll be a mirror point to the left, the right, above and below as well as in front and behind.
Treating those side (and above) ones can make quite a big difference.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...