You are here

A Nostalgic Tribute To Melodic Game Music Of The 90's (Original Composition)

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

A Nostalgic Tribute To Melodic Game Music Of The 90's (Original Composition)

Postby joeyondakeys » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:38 pm

So, I don't really know anything about music theory, can't read. But I've probably spent the better part of 12 years trying to understand what exactly it is to write an emotionally impactful melody. And I feel like I'm just starting to get it

But let me know what you think. Criticism very welcome :thumbup:

Thanks so much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS8Gh--bwAs&t=
joeyondakeys
Poster

Re: A Nostalgic Tribute To Melodic Game Music Of The 90's (Original Composition)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:01 pm

I really like what you did there and have no criticism :clap: :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com

Re: A Nostalgic Tribute To Melodic Game Music Of The 90's (Original Composition)

Postby joeyondakeys » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:25 pm

Why thank you! :D
joeyondakeys
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:10 pm

Hi joeyondakeys!

I enjoyed this piece too - it's well-structured, but definitely has a gentle and nostalgic feel :thumbup:

I could imagine it being used as the basis for a film score.

Off hand I can't think of any criticisms either - at first I wondered if the strong tremolo/stereo modulation would eventually get tedious to listen to, but it didn't.

Bravo!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:51 am

The piece is fine, for what my opinion is worth!
But, I'm interested in the piano sound, it really suits the piece, as it has a sort of "wobble" on it, or vibrato of some sort.
I find that when I'm playing my own piano music, which is very melancholic it helps to have a wow and flutter processor on it, it makes a hell of a difference to the emotional impact, and gives a deep feeling of nostalgia that compliments this type of music.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:23 pm

Arpangel wrote:I find that when I'm playing my own piano music, which is very melancholic it helps to have a wow and flutter processor on it, it makes a hell of a difference to the emotional impact, and gives a deep feeling of nostalgia that compliments this type of music.

Are we talking Boards of Canada again Tony?

Martin
Martin Walker