You are here

BPMs for recording...Singers? Taking songs faster or slower...

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Re: BPMs for recording...Singers? Taking songs faster or slower...

Postby Wonks » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:07 pm

Maybe just try programming up some basic drum rhythms first and then sing along to those. You may find it easier than just using a click. If you are using a tempo map for the song, then you may find the tempo changes easier with drums rather than a click.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: BPMs for recording...Singers? Taking songs faster or slower...

Postby T.M.A. » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:05 pm

Wonks wrote:Maybe just try programming up some basic drum rhythms first and then sing along to those. You may find it easier than just using a click. If you are using a tempo map for the song, then you may find the tempo changes easier with drums rather than a click.

Yep, yep -That is definitely a frist class suggestion! Really am noticing how much I go off of the drums as a vocalist recently. They almost fill in parts of the vocals in way -So you don't have to work so hard as a vocalist... The bass too. You really notice when they're not there...

I've never programmed drums before and have always struggled with the technological side of recording music. I actually hired a guy and programmed nice midi drums to the whole album, but they were done at the wrong tempos, so my aim was to get these songs at the right tempos first, then tell the person I was working working with the correct tempos and then he could send the me the midi drums with the right tempos...

Open to suggestions for easy ways to program drums myself. I really suck at this kind of stuff... My rig is just roland quad capture with an sm57 straight into Audacity. Which is actually very functional for me... I like Audacity a lot and am familiar with it...

The songs are getting a lot easier to pin down the more time I spend with them. The next thing that I'm going to try is bumping up certain parts of the songs 1-2 bpms. I suspect this will make a huge difference in the feel of things. I've read a lot of producers do this (speed up the chorus just a hair or whatever...) and I'm noticing that certain parts of the song I like at one tempo and certain parts I like just a notch faster or slower. I'm recording each song at 3 or 4 different tempos and we'll see what I don't discover with a little cutting and splicing...

Thank you to all!

-T
T.M.A.
New here

Previous