You are here

Zoom do it again! The Livetrak L-12

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Zoom do it again! The Livetrak L-12

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:41 pm

Another innovative product from Zoom:

https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/production-recording/live-sound-recording/zoom-livetrak-l-12

For those who still like to use faders and not use a Tablet or iPad to control mixing functions this could be just the answer.

Very much a basic digital mixer it will doubtless appeal to small bands who don't want to get into lots of complicated stuff they've never worried about before. But 5 separate monitor sends will be attractive as will the ability to multitrack-record straight to SD card. Post-performance drop-ins? No problem.

I suspect the mic pres are those from the F8 and F4 - and nothing wrong with that at all!

It's only announced today so I've only had a quick skim through the manual. My only 'hmmm' after a quick read is that although the recording is pre-eq, pre-fader, it's POST-compressor! I'm sure there's a logic there, but I'm not getting it at the moment.

Price: £549

NB. All this subject to change as I read-up more closely. Now if there was an L-16.... :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Re: Zoom do it again! The Livetrak L-12

Postby scw » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:58 pm

It's hard to keep up with developments these days. This has quite an astonishing feature set for the price!

Thanks for the heads up Mike.

Stewart
scw
Regular

Postby Dave B » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:36 pm

Impressive. Doubly so at that price. Given the number of post asking for something like this in the main recording forum, I think a fair few people are going to be quite happy with this..
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby blinddrew » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:45 pm

What no flying faders? Pah!

On a more serious note, that's a very nice looking piece of kit. Now if it worked as a control surface for a DAW too... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:51 pm

Dave B wrote:Impressive. Doubly so at that price. Given the number of post asking for something like this in the main recording forum, I think a fair few people are going to be quite happy with this..

Yup! I thought just the same Dave. There's still a bunch of people who prefer to work 'old style'... This should be right up their street. I may cross-post this....

I'm not going to trade-in my Touchmix8 just yet... but Zoom have a habit of building on success. So if this does well, maybe there will be a similar with more channels in the offing. If the price keeps as competitive as this, then I could well be persuaded.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby resistorman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:55 pm

blinddrew wrote:On a more serious note, that's a very nice looking piece of kit. Now if it worked as a control surface for a DAW too... ;)
Knowing Zoom, it might just do that!
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:13 pm

resistorman wrote:
blinddrew wrote:On a more serious note, that's a very nice looking piece of kit. Now if it worked as a control surface for a DAW too... ;)
Knowing Zoom, it might just do that!

Nope! One of the things it doesn't do! :)

Zoom have found a gap in the existing product ranges of other companies at this price-point (with the possible exception of Behringer - but their equivalent has an analogue front-end).
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:40 pm

Good overview from Sweetwater:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg52tUGSUTs

(By the way; on another forum I've found people complaining that it 'only' has 60mm faders and 'only' has 60dB of gain - and comparing it unfavourably with Sound Devices gear for use in film location sound! :headbang: Gimme strength! That's a course for which this particular horse is not intended. :roll: )
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:34 am

I'm similarly bemused that the channel compressor seems to be 'hard-wired' into the recording path. I'd like to think that this can be put right by a software update, but I wouldn't want to count on it. Hopefully that one knob can be turned down to 'inactive', but the manual seems to want to avoid discussing the matter; it doesn't give any hints as to what it is doing, or what settings are being applied.

It otherwise looks a neat solution to a variety of simple mixing and recording scenarios. The 5 independent sub-mixes are generous on a mixer of this caliber.

No drivers seem to be available yet.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:44 am

The Elf wrote:I'm similarly bemused that the channel compressor seems to be 'hard-wired' into the recording path. I'd like to think that this can be put right by a software update, but I wouldn't want to count on it. Hopefully that one knob can be turned down to 'inactive', but the manual seems to want to avoid discussing the matter; it doesn't give any hints as to what it is doing, or what settings are being applied.

It otherwise looks a neat solution to a variety of simple mixing and recording scenarios. The 5 independent sub-mixes are generous on a mixer of this caliber.

No drivers seem to be available yet.

Quite so... hopefully the 'one knob' compressor will be like that found on some Yamaha and Behringer desks - fully counter-clockwise = 'off'.

I may drop-in to a Zoom forum and ask the question... the Zoom guys are usually pretty clued-up so there must be a philosophy behind this apparently bizarre config...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby warempage » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:30 pm

Looks it has a lot of features I am looking for but I am unclear about the EQ and FX settings.
Can I use different EQ settings and level of FX per channel?

For what I understand from the manual, it is either on or off and the same settings for all channels that have the Select button switched on.

Can someone shed some light on this?
I hope I am wrong...

Manual says:
SEL button
Use to select a channel for parameter adjustment in the channel strip section.
Channels with lit SEL buttons are affected by channel strip section adjustments.

Kim
warempage

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:27 pm

warempage wrote:Looks it has a lot of features I am looking for but I am unclear about the EQ and FX settings.
Can I use different EQ settings and level of FX per channel?

For what I understand from the manual, it is either on or off and the same settings for all channels that have the Select button switched on.

Can someone shed some light on this?
I hope I am wrong...

Manual says:
SEL button
Use to select a channel for parameter adjustment in the channel strip section.
Channels with lit SEL buttons are affected by channel strip section adjustments.

Kim

Welcome! :thumbup:

Apologies if I've misunderstood, but I think you may be confusing the SEL button and a MUTE/ON button.

You use SEL to select a channel for which you want to adjust certain parameters - EQ or whatever. You then SEL a different channel to adjust that channel's settings - without losing the settings on a previously 'SELed' channel.

I'd need to check the manual on this, but most digital mixers will allow you to link channels so that you only have to adjust settings once for multiple channels - if that's what you want to do!

In summary: I think you'd be fine! :)

.... and you may find this review/guide on the LiveTrak helpful... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg52tUGSUTs
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:11 pm

Yes, looks great. Shame no MIDI ports.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ore_terra » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:37 am

well... I finally got it. I ordered in august theoretically to get it beginning of Sept, and it dindnt arrive till the end of Oct :frown:

I've set a permanent recording set at the rehearsal room. I always recorded practices with a stereo iphone mic. not bad, but it is what it is. this would allow me going through the song better, the arrangements, the bass - bass drum relationship (that needs mediation in my band :lol: )...

I'm so happy with my new toy that I had to share the 1st track :bouncy: :bouncy:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1d_v6CzS11xlYpCLF75hekkzPCiJX6JY3

still havent tweaked enough with the zoom's eq and comp, so I've used plugins at the mix. also bit of room reverb and a limiter on master bus raise levels. mi aim is to get a template in cubase so all it is is pasting the .wavs in the track and render with no further touching. given the scene saving thing in the zoom I think it is possible as long I stay with the same mics and placement.

I've recorded drums with an sm57 on snare, 2 rode M5 about 1.5 m over each tom, and whaferdale's dynamic mics from a set on toms and kick.

e609 on guitars, DI from bass amp and SM58 through a voicelive play in vocals.

for next rehearsal I'll keep playing with mic positions a bit... that kick is just a click and nothing else (probably try a LDC), snare could be deeper as well, bass is not clear and I think pickups are microphonic (can that even happen to a bass? that buzz at the guitar intro is the bass playing it back!)... but well, really thing it's not bad at all for literally 10 min processing in cubase :lol: :lol:
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby forumuser663032 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:28 pm

does any one know if the effects are global to all channels or can you pick a different effect on each channel
steve
forumuser663032

Next