You are here

Beta 58a mic quality drop over time?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Beta 58a mic quality drop over time?

Postby Giggo96 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:58 pm

Hi all,

So i'm on the brink of purchasing a Shure Beta 58a second hand. Its from a genuine source and a very very fair price at £60.

However the mic is 9 years old. Will this make a difference? Will there be much difference in this and one that may only be a year old?

Thanks guys look forward to hearing responses
Giggo96
Poster

Re: Beta 58a mic quality drop over time?

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:01 pm

If it's been looked after there'll be no difference at all. But bear in mind that stage mics come in for more rough treatment than studio mics and there are lots of fake Beta58s out there so tread carefully. It's a great price if the mic is genuine though.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Giggo96 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:09 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:If it's been looked after there'll be no difference at all. But bear in mind that stage mics come in for more rough treatment than studio mics and there are lots of fake Beta58s out there so tread carefully. It's a great price if the mic is genuine though.

Thanks for the quick response. This mic was a studio mic according to the seller.

So hopefully all should be fine with this.

I know people have warned me over how many fakes are out there.

The seller bought it new 9 years ago from a music store in Oxford and has had it in a studio since but hasn't used it much.
Giggo96
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:40 am

It's always a decision whether to trust a seller but IME if you go by your gut feeling you won't often be wrong. In this case it sounds like you have considered it carefully. :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........