You are here

PA system up to 500 people

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

PA system up to 500 people

Postby dennisgamalej » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:18 pm

Hello guys. We have a rock band 3 vox. 1 guit 1 bass and drums and we like to buy a new PA. We are looking for a system which can handle 500 people. Budget max 5000 euros. Thank you for tips!
dennisgamalej
Regular
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: Pa system up to 500 people

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:46 pm

Budget?, do you need a mixer?, mics?

Remind us what you have now.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12974
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Pa system up to 500 people

Postby MOF » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:04 am

The OP said the budget is 5000 euros Sam, you’re right though we could do with more information.
Do you need a FOH mixer and/or foldback mixer, are the drums real (more channels and microphones) or electronic, will monitoring be IEM or speakers?
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1130
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:00 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Pa system up to 500 people

Postby dennisgamalej » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:30 am

Sorry guys! I just need foh speakers. I have everything monitors, mixer.... I just need good foh speakers which can handle 500 people. Thank you! Ps drums are real
dennisgamalej
Regular
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: Pa system up to 500 people

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:12 pm

Either two Yamaha DZR 315 at €1739 each or 2 x DZR10 at €939 and one DXS15XLF at €1499.

Either rig will take you over budget by about €400 but I'd say that's the most powerful rig you'll get for the money, Yamaha's top end kit has a 7 year warrantee so is worth paying for.

As for it handling 500 people, a death metal band will need more power than a blues rock band playing to the same audience so it's difficult to know what will work for you. How often do you play to big crowds? If it's only a few times a year have you considered hiring in a bigger PA (maybe with operator) for those gigs?

https://www.thomann.de/ie/yamaha_dzr315.htm

https://www.thomann.de/ie/yamaha_dzr10.htm?ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiaWUiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6IjIiLCJsYW5ndWFnZSI6ImVuIn0%3D

https://www.thomann.de/ie/yamaha_dxs15xlf.htm?ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiaWUiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6IjIiLCJsYW5ndWFnZSI6ImVuIn0%3D
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12974
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Pa system up to 500 people

Postby resistorman » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:46 pm

The Yamaha equipment is great.

For a cheaper yet still high quality option, I’ve had great results with QSC gear which has a 6 year warranty, though I only needed it once for an amp that was 12 years old which they fixed for free anyhow.

https://www.thomann.de/ie/qsc_k_10.2.htm

For the tops. There are a number of subs to choose from depending on your use case and strength of back:

https://www.thomann.de/ie/qsc_active_subwoofers.html
User avatar
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 953
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:00 am
Location: Asheville NC

Re: Pa system up to 500 people

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:30 pm

Have to say that if we were playing enough gigs to warrant investing in a new PA I'd just go straight for whatever Yamaha's fitted into my budget and leave it at that.
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10871
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Pa system up to 500 people

Postby dennisgamalej » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:34 pm

resistorman wrote:The Yamaha equipment is great.

For a cheaper yet still high quality option, I’ve had great results with QSC gear which has a 6 year warranty, though I only needed it once for an amp that was 12 years old which they fixed for free anyhow.

https://www.thomann.de/ie/qsc_k_10.2.htm

For the tops. There are a number of subs to choose from depending on your use case and strength of back:

https://www.thomann.de/ie/qsc_active_subwoofers.html
So this qsc can handle 500 people? But there is just 130 db spl. Or its okey?
dennisgamalej
Regular
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: Pa system up to 500 people

Postby MOF » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:23 pm

But there is just 130 db spl. Or its okey?
The threshold of pain is 120dB.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1130
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:00 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Pa system up to 500 people

Postby AlecSp » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:15 pm

How portable/compact does it need to be?

A Yamaha DZR/DXS solution would likely serve you very well.
At that budget, however, a used Nexo system could be in range, which would likely blow the socks of the Yamaha option. Then again, it's slightly different logistics as a Passive system. Either PS10 over LS500 or PS15 over LS1200.

A couple of cracking examples on ebay.co.uk at the moment. But I suspect you're not UK based, so your local experience may differ.

EUR 5000 is a good budget, and should get you a great system. But, as well as sounding great, its form factor needs to work for your logistis/transport. You really don't want to be spending that kind of money just on internet say so - make sure you get out and listen.
AlecSp
Regular
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:00 am

Re: Pa system up to 500 people

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:33 pm

Despite being reminded I still misread the OP's budget.... I'd spend the spare €1500 on a second sub.

I have, and love, QSC K12s (mk 1's) as well as Yamaha DXR10s. I prefer the sound of the QSCs but my thing is mostly acoustic and bluesy rock rather the heavier styles, the K12s suit acoustic styles very well. But, the Yamaha DZRs are the loudest in class and if I was buying again, and had the budget, they would get very serious consideration.

AlecSp wrote:How portable/compact does it need to be?

A Yamaha DZR/DXS solution would likely serve you very well.
At that budget, however, a used Nexo system could be in range, which would likely blow the socks of the Yamaha option. Then again, it's slightly different logistics as a Passive system. Either PS10 over LS500 or PS15 over LS1200.

A couple of cracking examples on ebay.co.uk at the moment. But I suspect you're not UK based, so your local experience may differ.

EUR 5000 is a good budget, and should get you a great system. But, as well as sounding great, its form factor needs to work for your logistis/transport. You really don't want to be spending that kind of money just on internet say so - make sure you get out and listen.

Th best sounding mid sized PA I've heard was a Nexo rig, truly exceptional. I believe Yamaha own Nexo.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12974
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Pa system up to 500 people

Postby Dave Rowles » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:24 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Th best sounding mid sized PA I've heard was a Nexo rig, truly exceptional. I believe Yamaha own Nexo.

Nexos are great, but solid and well made. The Yamahas will be lighter on the old back!

And yes, Yamaha do own Nexo. Nexo branded stuff is still a step up from the Yamaha stuff in my opinion. That's not so say the Yamaha stuff doesn't rock!
User avatar
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1124
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:00 am
Location: Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Re: Pa system up to 500 people

Postby dickiefunk » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:59 pm

I would look at a secondhand Nexo or KV2 audio rig.
Something like a pair of Nexo PS10's/12's over LS600/LS1000 subs + amp/controller. These go within your budget fairly regularly secondhand.

Alternatively a pair of KV2 EX10/EX12 over their EX1.5 or EX2.2 subs is a great rig.

I have been successfully using a pair of Yamaha DXR15's + QSC KW181 subs for similar sized events and these have been great. Yamaha updated the DXR range last year to the DXR II range which supposedly have great clarity in the mids and highs. Also, the Yamaha DXS18xlf and new QSC KS118 subs outperform the older KW181's!
I know a few people prefer the Yamaha DSR112 over subs for louder gigs.

RCF, FBT and JBL also have some good options.
User avatar
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1849
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Cornwall, UK
http://www.richardpenrose.com