You are here

Inputs into a Yamaha MG10 Mixer

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Inputs into a Yamaha MG10 Mixer

Postby Nildefects » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:33 pm

Hello.
I’ve just bought an old Yamaha MG10 live mixer to bring 4 separate DJ setups together.
There are 3 Stereo line channel inputs that I’m utilising. 5/6 7/8 9/10.
I know the first 4 channels are mono for mics or instruments. Can I feed the 4th DJ into channels 3 and 4 via XLR and just pan 3 to the left and 4 to the right?
The output of the DJ setups is at regular line level. Will this damage the mixer as those channels are meant for mics etc?
I’d appreciate the help. Thanks.
Nildefects

Re: Inputs into a Yamaha MG10 Mixer

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:58 pm

I can't immediately lay my hands on the original MG10 manual -- the web is full of Information about the current, 3rd generation model.

If channels 1-4 have TRS (jack) input connections (possibly in the middle of the XLRs) it would be better to use those as they will be designed to accept line level signals.

If not, then the XLRs might cope, but make sure phantom power is turned off, engage the input pads (if available), and turn the gain down to the lowest setting (to start with). And yes, you'll need to pan the two channels hard left/right and operate their faders together.

If the DJ source is too loud for the XLR inputs, and you cant turn the output level down adequately at the source, you can buy in-line XLR pads of 10 or 20dB which should sort it.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby AlecSp » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:03 pm

Nildefects wrote:Can I feed the 4th DJ into channels 3 and 4 via XLR and just pan 3 to the left and 4 to the right?
Yes
Nildefects wrote:The output of the DJ setups is at regular line level. Will this damage the mixer as those channels are meant for mics etc?
Use the 26dB pad button on the channels you're using and you'll effectively turn inputs 1-4 into line level inputs. Problem solved.

Even without this, while you may get distortion if you overdrive the inputs depending on the gain range, you won't damage the mixer by feeding a line level signal into a mic input. It;ll just sound crap. Alternatively, you could turn down the output level from that source - but, as it's a DJ, that clearly isn't possible.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:41 pm

AlecSp wrote:Alternatively, you could turn down the output level from that source - but, as it's a DJ, that clearly isn't possible.

:D :D This is my experience too......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Terrible.dee » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:15 am

Nildefects wrote:Hello.
I’ve just bought an old Yamaha MG10 live mixer to bring 4 separate DJ setups together.
There are 3 Stereo line channel inputs that I’m utilising. 5/6 7/8 9/10.
I know the first 4 channels are mono for mics or instruments. Can I feed the 4th DJ into channels 3 and 4 via XLR and just pan 3 to the left and 4 to the right?
The output of the DJ setups is at regular line level. Will this damage the mixer as those channels are meant for mics etc?
I’d appreciate the help. Thanks.

No, they are combo slots, aren't they? The 1/4" ins are meant for a line-level signal. Don't worry about it.

The mic level is through the XLR only.

However, you also have the option of using the Aux return, which is a stereo channel.

You can also use the RCA tape-ins of course.

You can run up to 7 stereo signals through the board. I would use the Aux and Tape first just because they can be controlled as one.
Terrible.dee
Regular

Postby Nildefects » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:41 am

Thank you very much for all of your advice guys!
I only had XLR leads to hand as I’d used all the jacks in the line inputs. The signal immediately peaked and distorted even at low level. So I pushed the 26db pad buttons and it immediately reduced to a better level and no distortion. The stereo worked fine with the 2 channels panned hard left and right.
I will get some more jack leads as the XLR inputs do have the 1/4” jack sockets in the middle.
Thank you very much for helping me out.
Nildefects