You are here

Aston Element vs Beyer m201, mmm...

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Aston Element vs Beyer m201, mmm...

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:09 am

I've been considering replacing my m201 which has never been right since I bought it second hand but good enough so I could overlook the gradual deterioration of the signal.

I couldn't help but notice that some of the language used to describe the Aston Element in the recent review was not dissimilar to that previously used elsewhere in reference to the Beyer although I don't remember a comparison being made in the article.

Does anyone have experience of both and an opinion to offer? I have heard and used the m201 so I know it's value to my setup, just no way to evaluate the other in real life.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Re: Aston Element vs Beyer m201, mmm...

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:35 pm

... or you could get another 201...

Jus' a fawt...

Shame this didn't pop up a few weeks ago... I've just sold one genuinely 'as new'...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:45 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:... or you could get another 201...

That's the intention, I just want to consider this before doing so. The 201 is really nice for what I (try to) do.

Shame this didn't pop up a few weeks ago... I've just sold one genuinely 'as new'...

That had not escaped my attention, saved searches are very useful. I had decided not to buy mics from eBay again after my previous experience but when I realised the provenance I was sorely tempted.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:56 pm

You could try having the 201 repaired. I had the Revox version in terrible shape, unuseably low output, and the UK repair rep made it good as new. IIRC they repaired the actual motor itself, pretty amazing. Cost £70 about 20 years ago :shocked:

I'd imagine it would cost around €100 now?
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:34 pm

Cheers, T. I did explore this a few months ago and it didn't seem economically justified at the time which I thought was a real shame, I will have another look at that.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:41 pm

Might be worth getting in touch with Stew at Xaudia, he's mostly ribbons but might be worth a call?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:05 am

It would be a major shame not to have this nice mic up and running,

and,

it would be cheaper to repair than to replace.

So I'll chase that up. Thanks all, original question completely ignored but right answer arrived at nevertheless.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:56 am

Back to the Aston Element... :lol:

I, too, was impressed by the review. I'd definitely be thinking of finding out more if I was in the market for a new mic.

There's a guy in the States - Podcaststage - who's always doing mic reviews - of all types - on YouTube. A bit of a showman at the start of each vid, but once you get past that he knows his stuff and does good reviews. Maybe worth checking out to see if the Aston has crossed his path...

(Perhaps one of the reasons I really like his stuff is that he's a big fan of the Rode NT1. One of my greatest gear-regrets is selling mine... :( )
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Luke W » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:09 am

Mike Stranks wrote:Back to the Aston Element... :lol:

I, too, was impressed by the review. I'd definitely be thinking of finding out more if I was in the market for a new mic.

I'm eagerly awaiting an Element at the moment, looking forward to trying it out.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Wonks » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:27 am

Mike Stranks wrote:There's a guy in the States - Podcaststage - who's always doing mic reviews - of all types - on YouTube. A bit of a showman at the start of each vid, but once you get past that he knows his stuff and does good reviews. Maybe worth checking out to see if the Aston has crossed his path...

He's great as long as you apply his findings to podcasting and similar applications. I've tried out some of the cheaper mics he's reviewed and recommended as they've sounded quite good in the video, but which fail miserably when used in a live situation, with poor handling noise, excessive sibilance through the PA, and feedback at much lower stage volumes than the ubiquitous SM58 (which I always use as a yardstick).

I can't seeing this being the case with the Aston it's certainly not a budget mic, plus it's not a hand-held vocal mic so handling noise isn't an issue here, but as this is in the Live Sound section, I just though I'd add this caveat for the Podcast reviews in general.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:23 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:There's a guy in the States - Podcaststage -

I've just checked that out, he's quite restrained for YT and asking lots of the right questions. I checked some of his reviews of gear I'm familiar with and concur with his observations and conclusions.

No sign of an AE review yet.

However...

He's great as long as you apply his findings to podcasting and similar applications. I've tried out some of the cheaper mics he's reviewed and recommended as they've sounded quite good in the video, but which fail miserably when used in a live situation...

...is often the case. In live audio the smallest issues sometimes have significant consequences that wouldn't cost money in the studio but can get you run out of town by an angry mob at a gig.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:32 am

The big plus for me about Podcaststage (AKA BAndrew) is that he's a big pal of Curtis Judd.

As far as I am concerned, Curtis is THE man for sound kit reviews in the States. :clap: :thumbup:

BTW... I heard an unknown sitcom on R4extra in the wee small hours t'other night. An 'older male' gets into the world of social media and his son says, "... and you can spend hours on YouTube now watching people opening boxes..."

I give 'unboxings' a wide berth, but sometimes get suckered with 'Unboxing and Review'... I skip through the unboxing and find that the vid is coming to a close with a comment such as, "... and I'm looking forward to trying this out..."

Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:06 am

The world is a strange and wonderful place.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:23 am

shufflebeat wrote:The world is a strange and wonderful place.
But the village idiots are congregating and taking over...
I hope you get your 201 fixed, it'll be worth it.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase, guitars.

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:53 pm

Yeah, even at it's worst it was the greatest bodhran mic I've found.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Next