You are here

'Fake vs Real' and 'Losong Our Human Voice'

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

'Fake vs Real' and 'Losong Our Human Voice'

Postby awjoe » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:42 am

I play guitar, bass, ukekele, keys, a variety of hand percussion, and I sing a lot. Hold that thought.

Right now I'm on vacation (anyone want to get together in London this week?) I'm solving the problem of music-making on the road with Garageband, which I'm discovering and playing with on my first iPad. I play Garageband when I use it, by which I mean I treat it like an instrument whenever I can. I avoid loops and drum presets, and tap in my own parts on each instrument I select. I'm using it this way for three reasons. It's more fun to play a part than to load a preset or a loop, for one thing. For another thing, it sounds more unique - I mean, anybody can load a loop into a song, but only I tap out a part the way I do. Finally, it's my way of both working with 'The Machine' and at the same time keeping the human element in the mix. It's more real that way, to my ears anyway.

Paul White's May editorial was about how real recorded sound is, and Joanna Eden's article is about how tech is 'dehumanising' recordings of the human voice. Tech is unavoidable, of course, but it's important to keep an eye on how real things are and to keep the human element from getting taken over by The Machine. Rant over.

Good articles, Mr White and Ms Eden.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: 'Fake vs Real' and 'Losong Our Human Voice'

Postby CS70 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:53 am

A very good approach. Technology is a tool to speed up processes, improve the quality of the result and lower costs, but art and originality is never derived from it. Or at most just the once :-)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:39 am

Haven't read the Joanna Eden article yet, will reply properly when I have. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby awjoe » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:35 am

Looks like I wasn't the first, though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l0DCoC8TWkk

I've never listened to these guys before. They're really good.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Sat May 12, 2018 10:00 pm

Forgot about this post. I tend to agree with both writers (and the comments above). If the tech becomes a tool in the pursuit of perfection then we end up with everything sounding the same. It's the humanity that creates the emotional connection. Certainly in the genres that I listen to.
I reckon.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...