You are here

RIP: Notes From The Deadline

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: RIP: Notes From The Deadline

Postby BobTheDog » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:19 pm

That's a shame, my favourite part of the mag and the first bit I read. I will miss it.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby wdsteele » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:42 pm

Very sorry to hear that ; always my first read .

Still have a chuckle at the Jedward hotel room episode : sounds worse than it actually was !
wdsteele
Regular

Postby dbfs » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:19 am

I hope whatever fool let you walk out the door has a clever idea on how to replace you.

Your column was the only part of the magazine that seemed realistic to me. To be honest the mag has lost its appeal to me over the years, and this does not help.

Good luck and do let us know if you get the podcast or something similar up and running.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:22 am

dbfs wrote:I hope whatever fool let you walk out the door has a clever idea on how to replace you.

The only 'fool' -- if there is one -- was Paul himself: it was entirely his own decision to stop writing the column and it came as a complete surprise to the SOS team.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:27 am

dbfs wrote:I hope whatever fool let you walk out the door has a clever idea on how to replace you.

Your column was the only part of the magazine that seemed realistic to me. To be honest the mag has lost its appeal to me over the years, and this does not help.

Good luck and do let us know if you get the podcast or something similar up and running.

Harsh but pretty much what a lot of us are thinking perhaps?

One thing is for sure, this will NOT "rest in peace". Like the loss of "Notes" I and I suspect many others, will poke this with a pointy stick at every opportunity in the hope that "the powers that be" will take greater heed of us mushrooms in the future.

#Yellow Taxi#

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:07 am

ef37a wrote:...I and I suspect many others, will poke this with a pointy stick at every opportunity in the hope that "the powers that be" will take greater heed of us mushrooms in the future.

Dave, I love your participation in these forums, and I respect your knowledge enormously, but sometimes you say the most nonsensical things!

You write as if SOS cancelled the column, but they didn't! You can play with your pointy stick if you like but what, exactly, are 'the powers that be' supposed to do if a columnist decides he doesn't want to write a column anymore?

I'm sure a suitable alternative will be found in time...

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ef37a » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:25 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
ef37a wrote:...I and I suspect many others, will poke this with a pointy stick at every opportunity in the hope that "the powers that be" will take greater heed of us mushrooms in the future.

Dave, I love your participation in these forums, and I respect your knowledge enormously, but sometimes you say the most nonsensical things!

You write as if SOS cancelled the column, but they didn't! You can play with your pointy stick if you like but what, exactly, are 'the powers that be' supposed to do if a columnist decides he doesn't want to write a column anymore?

I'm sure a suitable alternative will be found in time...

H

Yes, well, "nonsensical things" sometimes have to be said, we shall see what shakes out of the tree in due course I dare say. Why am I called "nonsensical" and not the guy I sort of agreed with?

"We" never get the full SP and thus all we can really do is signal our displeasure at certain events and hope such comments cause "TPTB" to pause in the future.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:47 am

ef37a wrote:"We" never get the full SP and thus all we can really do is signal our displeasure at certain events and hope such comments cause "TPTB" to pause in the future.

Dave.

Hugh's already explained, it was not the decision of TPTB; it was the author's.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,267 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:37 pm

ef37a wrote:Why am I called "nonsensical" and not the guy I sort of agreed with?

A lot of people have expressed their disappointment in PF no longer writing his column, which is to be expected and I share their dismay.

What isn't fine is you trying to jump-start an SOS-bashing bandwaggon with your low-level aggressive posts when you know fully well that this is a situation not of SOS' making.

...all we can really do is signal our displeasure at certain events and hope such comments cause "TPTB" to pause in the future.

There you go again... how can TPTB 'pause' over something completely beyond their control, as has been explained many, many times. So from where I'm sitting, all I see is you seeming to delight in effectively bullying SOS through this forum with absolutely no basis in sense or fact ... and I don't appreciate that at all.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ef37a » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:50 pm

Forum Admin wrote:
ef37a wrote:"We" never get the full SP and thus all we can really do is signal our displeasure at certain events and hope such comments cause "TPTB" to pause in the future.

Dave.

Hugh's already explained, it was not the decision of TPTB; it was the author's.

Very well. I shall accept that. I do however feel a bit "picked on" since others have been, shall we say, "less polite" than myself?

My apologies to all concerned if I have given offence.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:14 pm

Dave, we know you are well-meaning and your response comes from your passion and enjoyment of the NFTD column.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,267 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:15 pm

ef37a wrote:My apologies to all concerned if I have given offence.

Gladly accepted, but not necessary -- I'd like to think we are virtual friends who can exchange honestly held views without taking offence.

I do however feel a bit "picked on" since others have been, shall we say, "less polite" than myself?

Sorry -- I'm not 'picking on you', but the fact is that you are the one wielding the stirring stick. If you look back through the entire thread you will notice that you were the first to post an SOS-bashing comment, complaining about the magazine losing it's 'pepp' and becoming very 'samey'. Almost everyone else just said how much they enjoyed and will miss the column.

And then dbfs comes on with his view that 'the mag has lost its appeal' and you're straight back on it with comments about "...this will NOT 'rest in peace' " and "I ... will poke this with a pointy stick at every opportunity..."

So, in contrast to your assertion that 'others have been less polite', that's clearly not the case...

But enough; let's draw a line here. The loss of the Deadlines column is very unfortunate, but not something that was planned or under SOS's control..

Rest assured that the whole SOS team will continue to work very hard to maintain the editorial standards for which we are so well known and respected, and to keep up the appeal of the mag to so many tens of thousands who read it every month and who don't find it samey. :-)

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ef37a » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:26 pm

Ok Hugh, points taken but what I meant was I did not call anyone a "fool"!

I shall put my stick down and moderate my comments in the future!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:30 pm

:D :thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby dbfs » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:25 pm

Hi Guys,

Just a note to say that I do not wish to bash the mag. It is a valuable resource to many. Over the years my favourite parts became things like Paul White's Leader and Paul Farrer's Notes from the Deadline because of the personal human element to them. Don't get me wrong, I do like reading the odd gear review, but it's the everyday stuff that I enjoy the most.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:47 pm

Thanks for the clarification.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:11 pm

Er, Paul Whites leader was my first read for many many years and now not so for many years and not really at all now.

Past ten? years, Sounding 0rf was my first port of call, not for yonks though…

I remember reading Notes From… for a fair ol’ while at first I suppose and not so now & for even longer… felt it had run its course, for me anyway.

It’s not about wot someone, an individual, likes or doesn’t…

I get nowt much out of it but still buy it?

That’s wot it’s about, innit.

Off the top of me ‘ead, I dunno, Room for improvement? Or same ol’ story…

I think the mag needs to evolve maybe, the web and mag combine more…

Postby jagraphics » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:26 pm

The problem is nature does not like a vacuum and when there is no answer from the horses mouth you get speculation from the other end.

So perhaps the air needs clearing from the horses mouth on the "boring reasons" for unilaterally stopping the column before the speculation takes over. Especially as some of it has already hit the wrong target.

As some one who wrote a monthly column for nearly a decade in a (different trade) magazine I know that some times it becomes a chore and you just don't want to write it any more.
jagraphics
Regular

Postby John Egan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:42 pm

Hi All,

Just for the record, I'm a guitarist with an interest in recording from way back. I've been a subscriber to a number of guitar magazines ever since they became available. Most of them dumbed down substantially in the 1980s and I stopped subscribing, except to Guitar and Bass, which didn't.

Sound on Sound still is my favourite music mag read and has been for the fifteen(ish) years I've been a subscriber. Yes, I enjoyed Paul Farrer's column and I expressed my appreciation in an earlier post, but my favourite reads are the technical articles, which mostly pass miles over my head, but exert a sort of "rabbit with a weasel" fascination - as in, I know they are significant and helpful, but am not sure how to deal with them. One day, maybe.

But the mag still keeps me coming back for more. Long may it continue.

Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:02 pm

I had a sub for a good while then let it lapse as I wasn't reading the mag (not a fault of the mag but due to other factors). I didn't stop being involved in these forums though and restored my digital sub last year as I wanted to support the mag even though I didn't read it cover to cover as I used to do. The new pdf version may well be the push I need to get back to reading the mag more fully again.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

PreviousNext