You are here

The old "SOS Software" public domain & shareware section

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

The old "SOS Software" public domain & shareware section

Postby desmond » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:09 pm

So, way back in the last century, when the Atari ST was the platform of choice for MIDI and sequencing, SOS used to run an "SOS Software" section in the magazine, where you could order PD and shareware software disks, demos, utilties etc.

I know this is a while ago and is probably a looong (loooooooong) shot but was this stuff archived anywhere? For example, Martin Russ's excellent SysEx Toolkit software has been lost - he no longer has any of his Atari programs or source code, and while we may be able to turf up bits of software from old FTP archives and stuff around the net, I'm wondering if any of Team SOS might be able to go "Oh yes, we archived that up into an old hard drive image on a dusty corner of a shelf in the Editor's office...".

I have a few other sources of stuff, and we recently completed collecting, imaging and uploading to the Internet Archive the full run of the cover CD's that came with The Mix magazine, but if there was a way of getting a big archive of the SOS shareware, there seems to be a fair amount that isn't available elsewhere online...

Yeah, I know it was a long shot... :tongue: :lol:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: The old "SOS Software" public domain & shareware section

Postby MOF » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:19 pm

I’m curious as to why you want this software? I never got any of this SOS software but I do still have some Emagic editor cartridge dongles I think but not my Atari 1040, plus somewhere I’ll have the Sound Diver software package.
I’d like a dx7 ‘woodblock’ voice if anyone’s got that?
I have the voice saved as a dx7 bank but no dx7 to load it into to then export into NI FM8.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:25 pm

MOF wrote:I’m curious as to why you want this software? I never got any of this SOS software but I do still have some Emagic editor cartridge dongles I think but not my Atari 1040, plus somewhere I’ll have the Sound Diver software package.

I still have SoundDiver Atari as well - in fact I have most of my old Atari harddrive running in an emulator on my Mac, so I can still access, and run my old Atari stuff.

This request is not for me so much, some people on the Atari forum have been trying to get hold of Martin's utilities, and as they are companion software for old SOS archives I'm archiving on my site, it would be nice to make them available alongside the content (which I do when possible).

MOF wrote:I’d like a dx7 ‘woodblock’ voice if anyone’s got that?
I have the voice saved as a dx7 bank but no dx7 to load it into to then export into NI FM8.

FM8 will import DX7 banks directly (although the import procedure is kind of weird).
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:49 pm

desmond wrote:
MOF wrote:I’d like a dx7 ‘woodblock’ voice if anyone’s got that?
FM8 will import DX7 banks directly (although the import procedure is kind of weird).
I think the free Dexed also performs this trick.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby desmond » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:56 pm

The Elf wrote:I think the free Dexed also performs this trick.

Yes, it does. In fact, using Dexed I converted all the DX/FM banks available in the Blackwhinny cartridge (basically, a compiled collection of every DX/TX/FM patch ever made available on the net) into individual Logic presets, by far the largest patch automation job I've undertaken to date. It took a few months, off and on - it's over 3800 banks, over 118,000 patches... (!)

Dexed is great, apart from a few issues I get with hanging notes, which is a bit annoying...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:36 am

How could I resist a search and download!!!

How long until I import into Dexed, explore the banks, and actually get around to using them...

That's a different matter. Have a whole bunch of ongoing projects to complete before taking on new ones. But far better to download the zip and bookmark the download page now while it's fresh in my mind than to spend ages trying to remember enough to complete a search here in months/years from now.

And for anyone else interested, here's the link I used...
https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts/199

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:55 am

Yep. And for Logic users, here's my conversions:
https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15267&p=733614#p733614

Why did I do this? Because loading individual carts into Dexed is not fun. As Logic patches, I can search by name throughout the entire collection, have one click (or one key/MIDI command) access to any individual patch, step through them etc without being limited to 32-patch banks and so on. Also, I do this for many instruments as it lets me have one consistent interface into patches for synths, and is my preferred approach.

It's quite nice as if I'm reading reviews of patch banks or other people talking about patches in archive content, I can do some simple text searches in my collection in Logic and bring up the patches directly and play with them myself... It's come in handy when trying to reconstruct or analyse songs that used the DX7 as I can often find the patches - not many people programmed that thing so most uses of the DX7 are using presets, or commercial patches available at the time, or maybe slightly modified presets...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:18 pm

desmond wrote:...I'm wondering if any of Team SOS might be able to go "Oh yes, we archived that up into an old hard drive image on a dusty corner of a shelf in the Editor's office...".

Hi desmond,

Gawd, that image takes me back... and hand-copying disks for customers, while trying to sub editorial copy.

Sadly, when SOS moved to fully remote-working last year (pre-COVID19) we emptied our offices and I distinctly recall chucking out the box of master 3.5" Atari floppies that had indeed sat in my office cupboard for decades. It went into one of many skips.

No hard drive backup was made, I'm afraid. :thumbdown:
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,258 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:24 pm

Forum Admin wrote:Gawd, that image takes me back... and hand-copying disks for customers, while trying to sub editorial copy.

Heh, indeed!

Forum Admin wrote:Sadly, when SOS moved to fully remote-working last year (pre-COVID19) we emptied our offices and I distinctly recall chucking out the box of master 3.5" Atari floppies that had indeed sat in my office cupboard for decades. It went into one of many skips.

Ah, shame. Never mind... at least one of the things about human nature and this connected world is that people have all kinds of things stashed away in all kinds of places, so sooner or later a lot of stuff surfaces. For the most part, I'm sure the disks mostly contained demos and utilities and stuff that were widely available, but it would be nice to get hold of Martin's programs that accompanied his SOS articles somehow.

Thanks Ian :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Old Plucker » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:47 pm

Unfortunately the following may not contain the Martin Russ software, but lots of other Atari ST related stuff archived from the now defunct Yahoo groups

https://storage.atari-source.org/atari/ ... tari-midi/

https://storage.atari-source.org/atari/ ... -ARCHIVES/
Old Plucker
New here

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:13 pm

Old Plucker wrote:Unfortunately the following may not contain the Martin Russ software, but lots of other Atari ST related stuff archived from the now defunct Yahoo groups

Thanks - yes I'm aware of those archives (among many others too.)

Actually I found a partial solution in that a few of the large PD/Shareware libraries at the time, including FAST Club and Floppyshop, have had their entire collections archived at the Internet Archive, here:

https://ia801904.us.archive.org/view_ar ... _04_23.zip

I managed to dig up some catalogs, found the disks for the MIDI sections, and had a look through, and did indeed find a bunch of Martin's programs (but not all of them, and not the latest versions.) Interestingly, there were programs there that had clearly originally come from the SOS Shareware archive, as the readme's still had the SOS Shareware blurb on them!

It looks like someone else has also come up with two of the three SYX Toolkit set as well, so we're not doing too badly... :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:00 pm

Desmond, it might be nice to inform Martin that you've got copies of his old software, in case he should like a copy for his own archive?

PM me if you need his email address.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,258 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:16 pm

Forum Admin wrote:Desmond, it might be nice to inform Martin that you've got copies of his old software, in case he should like a copy for his own archive?

PM me if you need his email address.

I will do, or get the other guy who was initially communicating with Martin which kicked this off to let him know.

Martin's contacted me in the past about mu:zines so I have contact info for him, anyway - but thanks! :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:25 pm

MOF wrote:
I’d like a dx7 ‘woodblock’ voice if anyone’s got that?

It’s a long time ago but I did archive all my DX7 voices into FM7 at the time I bought it, but when I revisited an old song I couldn’t find ‘Woodblock’.
I seem to remember finding it in Sound Diver but couldn’t get it into FM7/8. I’ll try again sometime soon. Thanks for the info’.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:55 pm

MOF wrote:It’s a long time ago but I did archive all my DX7 voices into FM7 at the time I bought it, but when I revisited an old song I couldn’t find ‘Woodblock’.

I've got lot of instances of these, but if you're after the official Yamaha preset, the bank you want is the Yamaha ROM4A cartridge, patch 28. There's also one in the DX5 presets too, which is a different sound.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Next