You are here

What has happened to the SOS iPad app?

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: What has happened to the SOS iPad app?

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:09 pm

Bill S wrote:The example PDF version isn’t great. You have to scroll down through every page, there are no hot links to articles from the contents page, and the ability to skip an article by swiping left is gone.

You're talking purely here about the Full Issue PDF? The app most definitely lets you swipe left/right to move to the next article/advert and previous ones, or use the hamburger menu which shows only articles.

We simply don't have spare production capacity to make the (free) FI-PDF a full-blown entity in its own right. It is what it is -- a bonus for Digital subscribers -- and plenty of folks buy it as a one-off purchase each month and seem happy with it. If we ever get spare time, we'll see if there's any way to automate PDF contents generation with a script.

In the new app it’s an error to have adverts listed as contents, hopefully that’ll change.

Yes, others have said likewise and so we will change that in March issue so it shows only articles. You see the adverts as you swipe left/right anyway.

Open an article in the new app and the strap line is shown THREE times at the top of the page in various formats!

That's the template publishers currently are given by the platform developer, so we have no real control as we definitely would want it showing at the very top of the article bodytext. We've already voiced our opinion to them.

Coincidentally I got my renewal email today. I’d be happy to support SOS directly but the functionality is making me question whether to renew I’m afraid.

Well apart from the multiple ways a SOS subscription provides access to our content, it also saves you a lot of money over buying the print magazine in a newsagent/bookstore.
We do respond to feedback and we do make changes, so products and services get better over time.

We'd obviously not wish to lose you, but that decision is yours alone.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 12,352 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:18 pm

forumuser937135 wrote:If I however cancel my App Store sub, will I still be able to keep previous issues I have paid for and read them?

YES. To read any SOS-bought subs issues you would login using your SOS website MY ACCOUNT login, but if your iPad is logged in using your AppleID and Apple password/email, then it will show issues covered by your iTunes sub as available to read.

(The new app also loads pages slowly, much slower than even last month's version, to say nothing of pdf versions or an app like Magzter).

Odd, all our tests side by side with the October 2020 issue compared to November 2020 HTML5 show the new app to be much quicker at loading. Are you loading one article at a time (this uses your wi-fi/4G), or have you tapped on the Cloud icon to download the full issue? (This is then on your device and articles load super-fast.)

Comparing a PDF or Magzter -- you need to ensure it's comparing like for like, as SOS is 160-pages and audio is embedded, so around 280Mb file. Our Full Issue PDF is around 94Mb for November but that has no audio.
Forum Admin

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:15 pm

Forum Admin wrote:
Bill S wrote:In the new app it’s an error to have adverts listed as contents, hopefully that’ll change.

Yes, others have said likewise and so we will change that in March issue so it shows only articles. You see the adverts as you swipe left/right anyway.

The Contents lists on phone and tablet have been updated and the adverts removed to make the scroll half the length. (See screenshot.) This works on all HTML5 issues from November 2020 issue onwards and is effective immediately you quit and go back into the SOS App.

February-2021-App-Contents-iPhone.jpg
Forum Admin

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:37 pm

:thumbup: :clap: Nice one Ian. Thanks.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:18 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:49 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote::thumbup: :clap: Nice one Ian. Thanks.

I can't take the praise as I don't do the app work; it's our in-house designer Andy -- we just convey the "they're not happy..." :wtf: messages to him. :smirk:
Forum Admin

Postby Bill S » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:46 pm

Much appreciated, thanks! I know you guys will get there :clap: :clap:
Bill S
Poster

Postby baward » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:41 am

Forum Admin wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote::thumbup: :clap: Nice one Ian. Thanks.

I can't take the praise as I don't do the app work; it's our in-house designer Andy -- we just convey the "they're not happy..." :wtf: messages to him. :smirk:

I'm not sure that this has been flagged already or not, but for me the (otherwise very nice) app has a really frustrating habit of flicking up to the top of an article if one returns from having looked at another app. At which point I have to search around for where I got to (right-side menu notwithstanding).

And will a system of bookmarks be introduced, to save on wading through a whole issue?

Ben
baward
Regular

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:48 pm

baward wrote:And will a system of bookmarks be introduced, to save on wading through a whole issue?

Ben

We've been asking for this for over 4 years now, but the app platform developers don't seem to be prioritising it on their "roadmap". Personally, I can't see how all their other publishers aren't demanding this very feature, but they tell us we are in the minority.

That's kind of why we provide different ways to view our content when you buy a Digital sub. With Web articles it is easy to Bookmark using your browser; with the Full Issue PDF likewise, to a degree, but the one place we dearly would love to have this functionalty, on the app, it is absent. :protest:
Forum Admin

Postby baward » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:22 pm

Thank you.
baward
Regular

Postby Bill S » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:45 pm

Credit where it is due. OP here, who was moaning back in January. Think I’m just a grumpy old man who doesn’t like new things - I love the new App now I’ve got used to it. Especially great to have it on my Android phone. The new iPad version - I would not choose the old version now. Just need to sort out that three times repeated strap line at the top of the iPad app, but I know you are trying to address that with the developers.

So, thanks for all your hard work, I think it’s great now :clap:
Bill S
Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:21 pm

Cheers Bill. Will let Andy our app designer know. He will be happy. :thumbup:
Forum Admin

Postby Wease » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:17 pm

I’m actually quite liking the app. I subbed to the print mag as well this year cause I thought I was missing out on something and I wanted to share the SOS thing with some of my students....but I’m not missing anything.

I’m actually preferring the app!!!

I know...shocking.....I’ll have to find something to moan about soon...

But no....good job SOS

Wease
Wease
Frequent Poster
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:31 pm

Wease wrote:I’m actually quite liking the app. I subbed to the print mag as well this year cause I thought I was missing out on something and I wanted to share the SOS thing with some of my students....but I’m not missing anything.

I’m actually preferring the app!!!

...good job SOS

Wease

Great stuff Wease. Once you get into using the Digital subscription and flitting between reading on a smartphone, then on a tablet while lounging on the sofa or sitting on the loo.. or needing to look something up that's a locked SOS (subs-only) article on our website... you quickly see the many benefits of each platform.

We worked very hard to make image and advert-zooming stunning on the smartphone - give it a try, tapping any image and pinch-zoom to max detail. It's jaw-dropping on high quality images. You can't do that in the print magazine - Pro Tools session screenshots in the Secrets Of The Mix Engineer articles come to life...

Same for the sample library short reviews we used to call "Sample Shop" - their embedded audio is great for playing while you scroll down the screen/page.

FREE STUDENT DIGITAL SUB
We haven't really publicised this service but it's been operational for a few years and we're nicely growing our Digital readership, using it. Feel free to pass on the link to any Students or Tutors you or anyone reading this knows, as the more sign-ups, the merrier. :)

https://www.soundonsound.com/information/education-digital-subscription

cheers,
Ian G
Forum Admin

Postby Wease » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:20 pm

Have tried the zoom it’s rather excellent

Overall a very good job on the app I th8nk....nice one

Love

Wease
Wease
Frequent Poster
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

PreviousNext