You are here

Headphone amp for AKG K701's

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Headphone amp for AKG K701's

Postby coojuice » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:06 pm

I decided to treat myself over the holidays to a new pair of AKG K701's which I'm burning in just now...

First impressions, they sound great from day dot and the look very pretty cool!

I have them connected to one of the headphone outputs on my Fast Track Ultra just now and although I like the sound of them, I have the gain turned fully up to get a decent level. I know there are countless debates about whether you need a dedicated amp or not but I'm not sure if I should go down this route or not? Can anyone confirm that they use these cans a lot without an amp? It may well be that they still need a lot more burning in time so thought I'd check and see what everyone else has first.

If I were to get an amp I wouldn't be spending much so would be looking at something at the budget end but also something of "ok" quality. I remember reading a while back that PW recommended a cheap amp for headphones but can find the forum post.

If anyone could give me some info to look into or just your opinion that would be great.

I will be using the cans mainly for listening but may use to help with mixing too.

Thanks

Bryan

p.s. All the best for 2011 folks!
coojuice
Regular

Re: Headphone amp for AKG K701's

Postby circle5 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:31 am

HI
I have a pair k701's for a while now and they are fantastic.

I ran them through the headphone out on my soundcards {ESI ESP1010 and motu828m3)for ages. but now I leave them plugged into my SM Pro MPatch 2.1 {volume switch/controller) and they work fine through all. plenty of loudness, if thats what you want. I also have an ART 406 headphone amp and they are plenty loud through that as well.

If your after more quality then perhaps a more hi-end headphone amp is the way to go.

One other thing, be gentle with them, both the plastic bits that hold the metal headbands together have broken.

Enjoy.

Happy new year.
circle5
Poster