You are here

the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:07 am

In the interests of transparency, legitimate forum members will be unsurprised to learn that it appears Ray_S, who claims to 'have no dog in this race', is actually posting from the same IP address as Behringer's Russian web host... Oh well....
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ramthelinefeed » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:54 am

:lol:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:In the interests of transparency, legitimate forum members will be unsurprised to learn that it appears Ray_S, who claims to 'have no dog in this race', is actually posting from the same IP address as Behringer's Russian web host... Oh well....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with!

Postby ramthelinefeed » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:02 am

It's not really just about whether Behringer's Attack of the Clones is *legal*,
it's whether it's taking the bloody piss or not.

Making mass-produced cheap knock-offs of classic gear could be spun as a benificent public service, providing access for all to wondrous instruments.

That doesn't seem to be the way our specious Russian friend is spinning it though - more like it's their legal right and the way humanity's engineering destiny shall progress. :lol:

As musicians, one of our main battles in life is NOT GETTING RIPPED OFF by people trying to commercially exploit our creativity for free.
If Behringer is just exploiting the creativity of previous engineering pioneers (and the kudos given to those instruments by the musicians who made wonderful music with them), then I do think many musicians will think they are taking the piss.
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with!

Postby The Elf » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:38 am

I don't see why Behringer should be picked out as deserving special attention for cloning a synth?

Have we forgotten the other MiniMoog clones? SE1? SE-02?

What about all the TB-303 clones - are they all getting the blessing from Roland?

I'm not saying Behringer are snow-white (and you know I've had my part to say on some of their gear. Cable tester? 'nuff said), but why no flak in other directions?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Escapegoat » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:14 pm

The Elf wrote:I don't see why Behringer should be picked out as deserving special attention for cloning a synth?

I'm not saying Behringer are snow-white (and you know I've had my part to say on some of their gear. Cable tester? 'nuff said), but why no flak in other directions?

Again. It's not being a copycat (shameless or otherwise) that's the current issue: it's threatening competitors, bystanders and media for expressing their opinion on it.

Seems to me that Uli is trying to pretend he's no copycat, while turning out a near endless series of copycat products. (And it's being done in working conditions that some people are questioning.)

On a personal level, I'm also frustrated with Behringer because - as it showed with the X32/X-air series and then the DM12 - it has the R&D resources and human capital to push music tech along. But instead we get backwards-looking clones made to the lowest possible price point.
Escapegoat
Regular

Postby The Elf » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:45 pm

Escapegoat wrote:But instead we get backwards-looking clones made to the lowest possible price point.
Meaning that many people who could never afford a real MiniMoog can now buy a cheap MiniMoog clone.

I honestly don't understand why this is a problem.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Escapegoat » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:43 pm

The Elf wrote:
Escapegoat wrote:But instead we get backwards-looking clones made to the lowest possible price point.
Meaning that many people who could never afford a real MiniMoog can now buy a cheap MiniMoog clone.

I honestly don't understand why this is a problem.

Again (third time now!) that is not the problem being discussed here. You consciously cut out the part of my posting that did talk about the problem. Why? That's wilfully being obtuse; there's no "honestly" about it.

And even in the bit of my comment you left, you edited out my context: on a personal level, I wish Behringer would advance music tech instead of copycatting. It's an opportunity cost. IMHO, that is a different (but important) problem to the one we are discussing.

Want to try again? ;)
Escapegoat
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:15 pm

To be fair, you are not the only one on this thread mentioning their 'less-than-original design ethic', even if it's not the main point of the thread.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Chevytraveller » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:40 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:In the interests of transparency, legitimate forum members will be unsurprised to learn that it appears Ray_S, who claims to 'have no dog in this race', is actually posting from the same IP address as Behringer's Russian web host... Oh well....

:clap: Busted!.. :headbang:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, FabFilter.
Hard: Mostly now all for sale.. but Akai MPC Live, Tasty Chips Gr-1, Roland Promars, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:48 pm

Chevytraveller wrote::clap: Busted!.. :headbang:

Indeed. Neat detective work. Mind you, he had snow on his boots, always a bit of a giveaway :)

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:49 pm

Escapegoat wrote: That's wilfully being obtuse; there's no "honestly" about it.

This seems to be becoming unnecessarily 'antsy'....
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Escapegoat » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:31 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Escapegoat wrote: That's wilfully being obtuse; there's no "honestly" about it.

This seems to be becoming unnecessarily 'antsy'....

Well, to me, being 'antsy' is more like threatening to sue forum members for voicing their honest opinions. ;)

But I'll desist. :)
Escapegoat
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:43 pm

Thank you. :thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby DGL. » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:59 am

An update on the RD-909, again from a reliable source (well he does own the company) over at 'the other world',

10 tool made samples are ready and there is a lot of extra features that they have added to the sequencer, such as the ability to use it to modulate the filter and analogue designer.

Targeting (excl. tax and import charges (pertinent to our American viewers)):

$299!

Images courtesy of Uli Behringer @ Gearslutz

DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:11 am

Yay! Just what the world needs! Another TR909 clone! :roll: :yawn:
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

PreviousNext