You are here

midiman midisport USB interface 4x4 and 2x2 - time to replace?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: midiman midisport USB interface 4x4 and 2x2 - time to replace?

Postby thefruitfarmer » Fri May 24, 2019 6:59 am

Chromeman wrote:
thefruitfarmer wrote:
That v6.1.3 driver will only work for the "Anniversary Editions" in W10, not the original midiman interfaces.


My 2x2 original is working with this driver under W10 without any issues.

That's good to hear. My testing was with the 4x4 rather than the 2x2.
User avatar
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Kent UK

Re: midiman midisport USB interface 4x4 and 2x2 - time to replace?

Postby Music Wolf » Fri May 24, 2019 7:14 am

Have you tried the anniversary driver?

The Midiman website was somewhat vague and initially I read that the 2x2 drivers were only for the anniversary edition but, further down the page it seemed to suggest that they'd also work for the older units. I installed and everything is working ok.
User avatar
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1879
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Exiled to St Helens

Re: midiman midisport USB interface 4x4 and 2x2 - time to replace?

Postby thefruitfarmer » Fri May 24, 2019 3:43 pm

Music Wolf wrote:Have you tried the anniversary driver?
.

No, I couldn't find anyone saying they had done it and made it work so I chickened out.

From reading the replies it seemes like the 2x2 will probably work with the anniversary driver but the 4x4 may have issues.
User avatar
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Kent UK

Re: midiman midisport USB interface 4x4 and 2x2 - time to replace?

Postby cosimo193 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:07 am

I've got a 4x4 and get regular BSODs on Windows 10 with mine. I have it attached to an active USB extension, so I guess it's possible that might be making things a bit unhappy, but it worked perfectly for years like that on my old XP machine. I raised the issue here:

https://getsatisfaction.com/m-audio/top ... ows-10-x64

But never got anywhere.

John
cosimo193
New here
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:02 am

Re: midiman midisport USB interface 4x4 and 2x2 - time to replace?

Postby ef37a » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:00 pm

cosimo193 wrote:I've got a 4x4 and get regular BSODs on Windows 10 with mine. I have it attached to an active USB extension, so I guess it's possible that might be making things a bit unhappy, but it worked perfectly for years like that on my old XP machine. I raised the issue here:

https://getsatisfaction.com/m-audio/top ... ows-10-x64

But never got anywhere.

John

USB AI's can be picky about extensions. I have never tried an active USB cable but my NI KA6 is only claimed to work up to 3mtrs but it works fine on one brand of a 5mtr cable but not another.
The KA6, unusually for AIs, works fine on a powered hub.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11284
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: midiman midisport USB interface 4x4 and 2x2 - time to replace?

Postby cosimo193 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:44 pm

As the crow flies, my midisport is less than 2m away from my PC, but I'm not allowed to have the wire trailing across the middle of the room :D ), so it has to go round the outside and ends up around 8m. I've got a 5m active extension and a 3m A to B cable on the end of that. Maybe I'll invest in an 8 or 10m USB cable and see what happens before buying something else.
cosimo193
New here
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:02 am

Re: midiman midisport USB interface 4x4 and 2x2 - time to replace?

Postby ef37a » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:31 pm

cosimo193 wrote:As the crow flies, my midisport is less than 2m away from my PC, but I'm not allowed to have the wire trailing across the middle of the room :D ), so it has to go round the outside and ends up around 8m. I've got a 5m active extension and a 3m A to B cable on the end of that. Maybe I'll invest in an 8 or 10m USB cable and see what happens before buying something else.
cable.
You might consider extending the MIDI side rather than the USB?

Some years ago I was experimenting with MIDI and got it going reliably over 20mtrs of CAT 5e.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11284
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: midiman midisport USB interface 4x4 and 2x2 - time to replace?

Postby cosimo193 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:11 pm

How did you wire that up? Was there 1 x cat5e cable replacing each midi cable or multiple MIDI (e.g. both directions) on per cat5e? It's a 4 x 4 and all the devices would be the other side of the room from the PC, so would need 4 ins and 4 outs.

I considered using a raspberry pi with VirtualHere to try to access the 4x4 as a remote USB, but that would be a job to get the 4x4 running on Linux from what I can see.
cosimo193
New here
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:02 am

Re: midiman midisport USB interface 4x4 and 2x2 - time to replace?

Postby ef37a » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:11 pm

cosimo193 wrote:How did you wire that up? Was there 1 x cat5e cable replacing each midi cable or multiple MIDI (e.g. both directions) on per cat5e? It's a 4 x 4 and all the devices would be the other side of the room from the PC, so would need 4 ins and 4 outs.

I considered using a raspberry pi with VirtualHere to try to access the 4x4 as a remote USB, but that would be a job to get the 4x4 running on Linux from what I can see.

Ooo! Been a while. IIRC I just soldered a DIN plug* each end of a length of CAT (I had steady hands and 2 eyes then!) Plugged one end into an EKeys 49 controller and the other end into the DIN input of a 2496 and Cubase played out faultlessly.

But then I enjoyed cobbling such things together. Not everyone does.

*Pins 4&5 don't NEED a common screen but would be a good idea for a proper installation.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11284
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: midiman midisport USB interface 4x4 and 2x2 - time to replace?

Postby James Perrett » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:19 pm

I have a computer that is a similar distance away from the keyboard to yours and I use a combination of 5m MIDI cables with a 5m USB cable on a Midisport 2x2 with no problems.
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 8889
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: midiman midisport USB interface 4x4 and 2x2 - time to replace?

Postby cosimo193 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:25 pm

James Perrett wrote:I have a computer that is a similar distance away from the keyboard to yours and I use a combination of 5m MIDI cables with a 5m USB cable on a Midisport 2x2 with no problems.

Interesting. I'd have to put the 4x4 on top of a 7' high bookshelf to do that, but it's a thought.
cosimo193
New here
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:02 am

Re: midiman midisport USB interface 4x4 and 2x2 - time to replace?

Postby cosimo193 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:28 pm

ef37a wrote:Ooo! Been a while. IIRC I just soldered a DIN plug* each end of a length of CAT (I had steady hands and 2 eyes then!) Plugged one end into an EKeys 49 controller and the other end into the DIN input of a 2496 and Cubase played out faultlessly.

But then I enjoyed cobbling such things together. Not everyone does.

*Pins 4&5 don't NEED a common screen but would be a good idea for a proper installation.

Dave.
Interesting. It would mean up to 8 cables round the back of my bookshelves instead of 1, but....
cosimo193
New here
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:02 am

Re: midiman midisport USB interface 4x4 and 2x2 - time to replace?

Postby cosimo193 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:34 pm

cosimo193
New here
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:02 am

Re: midiman midisport USB interface 4x4 and 2x2 - time to replace?

Postby ef37a » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:23 am

cosimo193 wrote:
ef37a wrote:Ooo! Been a while. IIRC I just soldered a DIN plug* each end of a length of CAT (I had steady hands and 2 eyes then!) Plugged one end into an EKeys 49 controller and the other end into the DIN input of a 2496 and Cubase played out faultlessly.

But then I enjoyed cobbling such things together. Not everyone does.

*Pins 4&5 don't NEED a common screen but would be a good idea for a proper installation.

Dave.
Interesting. It would mean up to 8 cables round the back of my bookshelves instead of 1, but....

Well, it's a bit of work but one CAT cable can carry 4 'balanced' signals so I made 4 way DIN breakout boxes connected by RJ45 and patched using standard DIN cables each end.

I was in the network hardware industry you see so had sheds of cable and development clutter!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11284
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: midiman midisport USB interface 4x4 and 2x2 - time to replace?

Postby cosimo193 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:02 pm

Just thought I'd add an update; I've now sourced a MOTU Micro Lite from eBay for what seems like a decent(ish) price. I attached it last night and, so far so good.

Cheers
cosimo193
New here
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:02 am

PreviousNext