You are here

Behringer Wing

Announce new products, updates, events, competitions, jobs and special offers here.

Re: Behringer Wing

Postby DGL. » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:35 am

Oh and according to one of the beta testers it boots in 7 seconds!
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:00 am

I'm still having trouble, in what radical way is this mixer different from the X32? It obviously is, but is it just more DSP, effects etc? What would be the benefits if choosing this over an X32?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:03 am

We really don't know yet. Wait until it's actually out and reviewed.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:31 am

To follow up on one of the things that's of specific interest to me...

So far I'm told (unofficially) that the network ports on the back-left of the unit can be designated as Dante, or SoundGrid (Waves), as an 'internal expansion' option. How that option is chosen, implemented and priced is as yet a mystery.

If this is true it leaves the 'external expansion slot' free to do the SD card recording - joy spreads through the land and the fish leave the rivers and go to live in the trees...

If I learn more I'll add it here.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby DGL. » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:02 pm

The Elf wrote:To follow up on one of the things that's of specific interest to me...

So far I'm told (unofficially) that the network ports on the back-left of the unit can be designated as Dante, or SoundGrid (Waves), as an 'internal expansion' option. How that option is chosen, implemented and priced is as yet a mystery.

If this is true it leaves the 'external expansion slot' free to do the SD card recording - joy spreads through the land and the fish leave the rivers and go to live in the trees...

Yes that is correct, supposedly it's specified at the ordering stage, the new video shows and talks about the internal slot, looks like the same type of slot as a mini-PCI card.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:02 pm

DGL. wrote:
The Elf wrote:To follow up on one of the things that's of specific interest to me...

Yes that is correct, supposedly it's specified at the ordering stage, the new video shows and talks about the internal slot, looks like the same type of slot as a mini-PCI card.
That sounds like an annoying overhead to carry - factory or retailer. Maybe they think most people won't even ask.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:25 am

Arpangel wrote:I'm still having trouble, in what radical way is this mixer different from the X32? It obviously is, but is it just more DSP, effects etc? What would be the benefits if choosing this over an X32?

Seems more has been added in regard to it operating as a control surface and the simultaneous record and playback is really useful - to me anyway. I was on the cusp of buying either an x32 or qu24 but neither of them quite fit the criteria I have, the WING apparently seems to
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:03 am

I'm in the market for the wing. I'm looking for a desk upgrade for my Qu16, which I think is a brilliant piece of gear but obviously limited in channel counts and digital connectivity.

If the wing provides me a reasonable means (possibly with an analogue I/O breakout box) to plumb in 25+ stero sources such that I can whack them into my DAW as a seriously useful number of digital connections, either over USB, via a new card in the PC or via a separate interface to connect the two then I'll be all over it assuming it's not a turkey in implementation.

I'll be keeping a very close eye on it.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby DGL. » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:53 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I'm in the market for the wing. I'm looking for a desk upgrade for my Qu16, which I think is a brilliant piece of gear but obviously limited in channel counts and digital connectivity.

If the wing provides me a reasonable means (possibly with an analogue I/O breakout box) to plumb in 25+ stero sources such that I can whack them into my DAW as a seriously useful number of digital connections, either over USB, via a new card in the PC or via a separate interface to connect the two then I'll be all over it assuming it's not a turkey in implementation.

I'll be keeping a very close eye on it.

I suppose it depends on whether or not you want analogue or digital inputs in to the Wing.
By analogue I mean either with one of the stageboxes (either AES50 or one of the new stageconnect boxes when the are released) and by digital I mean ADAT, SPDI/F, AES3 Etc.
At the moment only DANTE, WSG and MADI will be available as optional digital inputs, along with the 3 AES50 SuperMAC, stageconnect and AES3 in/out.

All methods for input will give you 40 fully featured stereo inputs and 8 stereo AUX inputs for 96 mixable channels (although you can't separate the stereo channels and have 96 mono channels).
As for getting signals into a computer you can either use the internal 48x48 channel USB audio interface or if more channels are needed then 64x64 channels are supported via one of the internal or user replaceable option cards (believed to be DANTE or WSG internally or via the option card slot with MADI using the option card slot only).
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:14 am

Good food for thought, thank you.

Unlike many here, my experience with digital connectivity is somewhat limited as since moving away from an analogue desk (I used S/P DIF for a few things through a converter but I don't think that counts) I've either done everything over USB or in the box so I have some catching up to do.

My hope is that I can find something that allows me to have everything in here connected up such that I can turn any device on and record it without having to muck about with repatching and/or submixing.

Especially true as I've got ambitious plans for the coming months and I want a setup that 'just works' for everything in order to minimise interruptions to the creative process.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.

Postby The Elf » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:12 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I want a setup that 'just works' for everything in order to minimise interruptions to the creative process.
That was the aim of my last upgrade too - and I achieved it in spades. I can record any synth or module in just a couple of clicks. It really does make for a more creative environment and for me that's a huge deal.

My choice was an RME MADIFace and a couple of Ferrofish A32s. If I was starting again now I'd maybe go Dante, but what I have works really well, so I'm not 100% on that.

Take your time and think it through - I can honestly say that my system is an absolute dream, but it did take a while for me to figure where I was going with it; now I understand my options I know I got it right, but it's tough when you really don't know who to ask, or even what the questions are!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:43 pm

The Elf wrote:Thomann are showing £2,566.06.
£2599 in Andertons.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:12 pm

The Elf wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:I want a setup that 'just works' for everything in order to minimise interruptions to the creative process.
That was the aim of my last upgrade too - and I achieved it in spades. I can record any synth or module in just a couple of clicks. It really does make for a more creative environment and for me that's a huge deal.

My choice was an RME MADIFace and a couple of Ferrofish A32s. If I was starting again now I'd maybe go Dante, but what I have works really well, so I'm not 100% on that.

Take your time and think it through - I can honestly say that my system is an absolute dream, but it did take a while for me to figure where I was going with it; now I understand my options I know I got it right, but it's tough when you really don't know who to ask, or even what the questions are!

Thank you Elf, this is also great food for thought. It's not going to be an overnight thing, nor will it be an impulse buy. I may also have to implement the upgrade over a period of time if it includes multiple expensive boxes. Like you I've got to the point where I just need something as transparent to the workflow as possible.

Focussing on what I need, it's not so much a desk as levels can be set at source and I don't use many of the on-board capabilities of the desk I have really. Rather the requirement is an ability to interface that many analogue inputs and present them to the PC, so a pure interface option may well give me the best result for the investment.

I'm doing some research and looking around at the moment. I also need to consider future expansion, footprint and long-term support etc. Thanks again for the run-down of the solution you found. That's a great place to start.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.

Postby The Elf » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:43 pm

Come and see my system in action if you like.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:28 pm

The Elf wrote:Come and see my system in action if you like.

You've preempted the next question I was going to ask you. I'll take you up on that, cheers :thumbup:

I'll give you a shout once I've figured out some possible dates and we'll figure something out that works mutually.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.

PreviousNext